Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Anyone found a way to hang phantom from ceiling?
Geckos are no good for me due to needing to be in a solid wall, or into joists, and having very little flexibility once installed 

I have been thinking about various ways to put up bespoke shelves with a very small foot print but far enough out from the side wall

Also about hanging them - I think the only realistic way would be upside down from ceiling joists on a pole with a plate at each end ..... but how to get this attached really securely at the phantom end?

Any ideas appreciated Smile
(29-Sep-2017, 07:12)Jamington2004 Wrote: Geckos are no good for me due to needing to be in a solid wall, or into joists, and having very little flexibility once installed 

I have been thinking about various ways to put up bespoke shelves with a very small foot print but far enough out from the side wall

Also about hanging them - I think the only realistic way would be upside down from ceiling joists on a pole with a plate at each end ..... but how to get this attached really securely at the phantom end?

Any ideas appreciated Smile

Take a Phantom to a steel or aluminium fabricator and let them make you some. You would be surprised by how good it can look and how low the cost are
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
So you think it's possible to hang upside down?
It should be fine as long as you make a bracket that properly holds the small metal "foot" that's under the Phantom.
(29-Sep-2017, 18:16)Jamington2004 Wrote: So you think it's possible to hang upside down?

Somebody posted a picture of an airport lounge with several phantoms hanging from the ceiling on pylons, so it’s definitely possible.
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
I'd be careful. The Phantoms are designed to sit on stands, ie force downwards. They are quite heavy. Trying to hang them upside down may be a bit much for the brackets and the surrounding structure; I don't know - but I'm sure they weren't designed for that.

You'd best contact Devialet for confirmation either way.
(03-Oct-2017, 03:15)Gremlin Wrote: I'd be careful. The Phantoms are designed to sit on stands, ie force downwards. They are quite heavy. Trying to hang them upside down may be a bit much for the brackets and the surrounding structure; I don't know - but I'm sure they weren't designed for that.

You'd best contact Devialet for confirmation either way.

They'll be fine upside down. I don't know where it was anymore but I've also seen the photo Axel is talking about.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
I think you must be very carefull it is a small thing on the underside!
And What do you think about the warmth inside the phantom? It not designed for hanging upside down
Hi,

"Upside down" I would never try myself. All tension would be on the hook in the base of the Phantom you'll need for the Phantom to hang on... the hook of the Gecko is just to fixate the Phantom on the Gecko, not to hang it.

The photo Axel referred to is in this chat: I asked the same question a few months back. They hang on Newark airport.

https://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?tid=4392

I have the same challenge; I already have 2 Phantoms hanging on the wall with gecko's, but want another one hanging somewhere I can't use a Gecko.
Sometime in the coming months I'll probably buy another Gecko and only use the baseplate. I'll have a company make a custom ceiling mount to attach the baseplate of the Gecko onto. I'll post a pic of it when successful Smile
(03-Oct-2017, 10:00)Johnnydev Wrote: I think you must be very carefull it is a small thing on the underside!
And What do you think about the warmth inside the phantom? It not designed for hanging upside down

They plonk them on top of a table at hifi shows so I would be surprised if the aluminium inside doesn't do enough to keep them cool. One thing i would do though is if I had them hanging is to put some Loctite on the bolts so they don't rattle loose.
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.