Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sky Soundbox - Initial review
I was very surprised by this!  In particular, it has class D amplification. No ADH!? Huh  Confused

https://www.whathifi.com/sky/soundbox/re...e=20171006
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(07-Oct-2017, 13:29)Confused Wrote: I was very surprised by this!  In particular, it has class D amplification. No ADH!? Huh  Confused

https://www.whathifi.com/sky/soundbox/re...e=20171006

Gosh that it really surprising... and disappointing too I guess!

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
It’s definitely surprising.

On the other hand, we might feel a bit short changed if adh was suddenly available for £250, rather than the many thousands that most current owners paid.
Roon/RAAT - Dev 250 Pro - AQ Castle Rock - SF Olympica ii
Where on the review did you see that it is class D?

That would be very surprising to me given the fact that Devialet invested a lot into putting the entire magic Wire and ADH technology into an ASIC, therefore enabling Devialet to embed their core technology easily.

As for being jealous of or put off by having ADH technology at the price of the Skybox, I’m not sure it is justified. I was being told one day that the complexity and difficulties of designing an amplifier were more of less following the square of the power you were handling. If you add the fact that experts have a lot more than their DAC/ADH part (phono stage, ADCs, etc) or the phantoms have very unique transducers, I don’t think that the pricing positioning is that outrageousSmile
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France
Expand the features bit.

"But it doesn’t go as far as utilizing its ADHV2 amplification tech, which combines Class A and Class D amplification - instead the Soundbox has Class D amplifiers"

My guess is thermal reasons, or the review is wrong.
Roon, Rega P9 + Dynavector XX2Mk2 > 440 Pro > Sonus Faber Guarneri Evolution
It wouldn't entirely surprise me if this unit didn't have ADH; in a sound-bar at this price the transducers probably have high enough inherent distortion that the subtlety of a class A amp would be lost on them.  Instead I expect that Devialet's "magic" here is in DSP, derived from SAM, to compensate for the deficiencies of the transducers and make them sound better than they really are.

To me this doesn't seem to be a very ground-breaking product, but rather catching up with things like Sonos' Soundbar.  That said, I can see why Devialet would want to do it, as it should certainly get their branding in front of a huge number of new customers.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
(08-Oct-2017, 11:16)thumb5 Wrote: It wouldn't entirely surprise me if this unit didn't have ADH; in a sound-bar at this price the transducers probably have high enough inherent distortion that the subtlety of a class A amp would be lost on them.  Instead I expect that Devialet's "magic" here is in DSP, derived from SAM, to compensate for the deficiencies of the transducers and make them sound better than they really are.

To me this doesn't seem to be a very ground-breaking product, but rather catching up with things like Sonos' Soundbar.  That said, I can see why Devialet would want to do it, as it should certainly get their branding in front of a huge number of new customers.

...and allow Sky to benefit from Devialet's repution as high-end innovators!
Devialet 1000 Pro. Martin Logan Montis, Michell Gyrodec, Melco N1ZH, Mutec MC3+ USB
It would appear that What Hifi's initial review has developed into a full review. The review can speak for itself, but it does give the impression of a product that is not quite there performance wise, probably because it is built to a very tight budget.

https://www.whathifi.com/sky/soundbox/review
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
It is priced to sell Sky Q subscriptions, not sell speakers. They are probably selling at or close to a loss at £300. I reckon they don’t want people to actually buy it at £700, just for Sky customers to think it’s worth £700. Excellent marketing in my view.

Support for this is the fact that Sky are licensing the tech from Devialet. Good for Devialet as it is pure profit and good for Sky as they can sell or give away as they please. They consider hardware is marketing, they no longer charge for Sky Q equipment.
250 Pro CI; Innuos Zen Mk3; Claro dual turntable (Expert Stylus Denon + OL Aladdin Mk2); RCM Sensor2; Wilson Sabrina; OePhi speaker cables; Puritan PM156 conditioner and Ultimate cables.
(08-Oct-2017, 11:16)thumb5 Wrote: ...That said, I can see why Devialet would want to do it, as it should certainly get their branding in front of a huge number of new customers.

Yup, the customer base that all high-end luxury brands are lusting after.... Sky subscribers Big Grin

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<