Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Crossover: IIR or FIR?
Thanks!

Please read my message from here...
https://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?...3#pid67403
(24-Oct-2017, 08:43)Waiski Wrote: Thanks!

Please read my message from here...
https://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?...3#pid67403

Wow...how weird.

How was that tested?

Was it using the subwoofer crossover output or the HP/LP filters for the speakers?
We did connect the measurement equipment directly to Devialet and did run test signals directly to computer.

Guy who did the calculation does desing loudspeakers so he does know how to do this right.
We did connect the measurement equipment directly to Devialet and did run test signals directly to computer.

Guy who did the calculation does desing loudspeakers so he does know how to do this right.

Pre out and loudspeakers out does work the same way.
(24-Oct-2017, 13:07)Waiski Wrote: We did connect the measurement equipment directly to Devialet and did run test signals directly to computer.

Pre out and loudspeakers out does work the same way.

Okay, so this is at the pre-out, not at the speaker output, right?
Both. No difference.
(25-Oct-2017, 08:30)Waiski Wrote: Both. No difference.

How certain are you guys of your test results?

Because the algorithms are so widely known and commonly used it would take extra effort to screw them up in the way your measurements indicate.
For the hard of understanding, please would you explain why the measurements show the filters are "screwed up"? It didn't obviously read that way to me. Thanks.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
Exactly. The filters are not screwed up. I'll send you more infomation later today.
(25-Oct-2017, 09:35)thumb5 Wrote: For the hard of understanding, please would you explain why the measurements show the filters are "screwed up"? It didn't obviously read that way to me. Thanks.

This, from the other thread:

"Order
LP=>-6dB ... -6dB=>HP
HP=>-6dB ... -6dB=>LP
1st 1.733 ... 0.577
2nd 1.000 ... 1.000
3rd 0.765 ... 1.307
4th 0.643 ... 1.556

So for 2nd order crossover you can use this without adjustments. 1000hz is 1000hz crossover point.
But for example 1000hz 1st order crossover point are... low pass is 577hz and high pass is 1733hz. "

It certainly doesn't fit the textbook definition.

Textbook definition of a 1st order 1000Hz high/low pass filter should be 6 dB down at an octave interval, i.e. 500Hz and 2000Hz.