Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Streaming System - Feedback needed
Hi all,

I'm completely new to streaming, coming from a conventional all-tube system. I have roughly 2000 CDs and I'm keen to stream in hi-def from Quboz and Tidal.  I like the idea of Roon and have a new D440 pro on order along with some Magico S1 MkIIs.  I currently use Virgin 200mbs Broadband with their latest Hub3 Modem/Router, which seems a bit weak-kneed in the wi-fi dept.
I am looking at the following. Can you tell me if this constitutes an optimum system for streaming (best SQ) and which of the 2 alternatives you'd go for or think would sound best.

1. Innuos Zenith MkII SE hooked up to my ISP Router via Ethernet cable and to the D440 by USB 2.0.  Roon core on the Zenith and Roon app on my IPad Pro, with a USB disc on the Zenith for file back-up.  Qubos and Tidal Hi-Fi for hi-def files and Zenith to rip my CDs to Flac or Wav.  Apple Airport Extreme for reliable Wi-Fi link between iPad and Router.

Alternatively:

2. Router----Ethernet-----Innuos Zenith MkII Std hooked up to DCS Bridge via USB.  DCS Bridge connected to Devialet via ?????what?
Roon core on the Zenith, Roon apps on the DCS and iPad.  Same strategy for internet streaming, back-up, wi-fi etc.

My new D440 may have the new streaming board, or it may not (D Support quote). The Zenith is anyway a great solution for ripping, storage and running the Roon core, so I don't see any conflict there.  What do you guys think?

Cheers
Steve
(19-Oct-2017, 10:58)Blackmorec Wrote: Hi all,

I'm completely new to streaming, coming from a conventional all-tube system. I have roughly 2000 CDs and I'm keen to stream in hi-def from Quboz and Tidal.  I like the idea of Roon and have a new D440 pro on order along with some Magico S1 MkIIs.  I currently use Virgin 200mbs Broadband with their latest Hub3 Modem/Router, which seems a bit weak-kneed in the wi-fi dept.
I am looking at the following. Can you tell me if this constitutes an optimum system for streaming (best SQ) and which of the 2 alternatives you'd go for or think would sound best.

1. Innuos Zenith MkII SE hooked up to my ISP Router via Ethernet cable and to the D440 by USB 2.0.  Roon core on the Zenith and Roon app on my IPad Pro, with a USB disc on the Zenith for file back-up.  Qubos and Tidal Hi-Fi for hi-def files and Zenith to rip my CDs to Flac or Wav.  Apple Airport Extreme for reliable Wi-Fi link between iPad and Router.

Alternatively:

2. Router----Ethernet-----Innuos Zenith MkII Std hooked up to DCS Bridge via USB.  DCS Bridge connected to Devialet via ?????what?
Roon core on the Zenith, Roon apps on the DCS and iPad.  Same strategy for internet streaming, back-up, wi-fi etc.

My new D440 may have the new streaming board, or it may not (D Support quote). The Zenith is anyway a great solution for ripping, storage and running the Roon core, so I don't see any conflict there.  What do you guys think?

Cheers
Steve
Hi Steve,

I'm trialing  the Innuos  in my system. The big plus point for me is that you do not need any other connections other than LAN from router in & ethernet wire to Devialet.
All discussions re Devialet seem to recommend usb not being the best input.  
Tidal working fine on Innuos.
(20-Oct-2017, 18:12)pmw Wrote:

Alternatively:

Cheers
Steve
Hi Steve,

I'm trialing  the Innuos  in my system. The big plus point for me is that you do not need any other connections other than LAN from router in & ethernet wire to Devialet.

Hi
Thanks for the reply. I see the Innuos Zenith has 2 Ethernet connectors, so are you connecting your modem/router to the one marked Network and the Devialet to the one marked Streamer? If so, that seems like a very easy solution. Do D generally recommend using Ethernet connections in preference to USB?
(22-Oct-2017, 09:38)Blackmorec Wrote:
(20-Oct-2017, 18:12)pmw Wrote:

Alternatively:

Cheers
Steve
Hi Steve,

Hi
Thanks for the reply. I see the Innuos Zenith has 2 Ethernet connectors, so are you connecting your modem/router to the one marked Network and the Devialet to the one marked Streamer? If so, that seems like a very easy solution. Do D generally recommend using Ethernet connections in preference to USB?
HI

Exactly.

In with Ethernet from router.
Out with Ethernet to D.
Works out a more cost effective way to stream , especially as Roon works really well over Ethernet
All the discussions on this site seem to regard usb as not the best input, and seek ways to improve it.
This is a very easy way.
Innuos seems to respond very favorably to better power lead, I'm using a LessLoss C-Marc loom.
Next on the list is improving the Ethernet lead from Innuos to D.

Paul
(22-Oct-2017, 17:28)pmw Wrote: HI

Exactly.

In with Ethernet from router.
Out with Ethernet to D.
Works out a more cost effective way to stream , especially as Roon works really well over Ethernet
All the discussions on this site seem to regard usb as not the best input, and  seek ways to improve it.
This is a very easy way.
Innuos seems to respond very favorably to better power lead, I'm using a LessLoss C-Marc loom.
Next on the list is improving the Ethernet lead from Innuos to D.

Paul
Hi Paul;
I’m getting a Synergistic Research power cord for the D ......guess I’ll need to get something suitable for the Zenith, as well as a suitable Ethernet cable. As you can see from my OP I was planning on running Roon but I’ve just found out that Roon doesn’t support Quboz, which is what I want to use (I’ve tried Tidal and am really not keen on a their musical direction). I want to use an Apple iPod Pro as controller so which SW would you recommend to bring the whole thing together (CD rips and Quboz hi-res files). Does D produce anything suitable or how about iPeng?
(22-Oct-2017, 22:08)Blackmorec Wrote: I’m getting a Synergistic Research power cord for the D

Awesome PC if you're talking abt the SR Atmosphere for D ... am super happy with 'em !
Roon Nucleus w/ Hypsos PSU & AQ Tornado + Roon RAAT  >  AQ Diamond ETH > etherREGEN using SFP + Hypsos PSU | CEC TL-5 CD Transport + AQ Z3 + 3 x Orea Indigo > AQ Diamond AES/EBU 
Devialet 440-Pro CI >  AQ Wel Sig  RCA-XLR | 6 x Orea Bronze, 2 x Synergistic Research Atmosphere PC | B&W 802 D3 {Bi-wired}  >  AQ WEL Signature (Biwire)
REL G1-Mk2 pair | PS Audio PP 12 + AQ NRG-1000 | Puritan GroundMaster + RouteMaster | SAM DISABLED - DPM OFF - Northern Virginia - US
(23-Oct-2017, 00:35)audio_engr Wrote:
(22-Oct-2017, 22:08)Blackmorec Wrote: I’m getting a Synergistic Research power cord for the D

Awesome PC if you're talking abt the SR Atmosphere for D ... am super happy with 'em !

HI Blackmorec

I think things will be a little more complicated if your not using Tidal !

I only recently switched to Tidal when they sorted out direct connection to the D.

To me it sounded better than using Air. Hence leading me down the route of Tidal & Ethernet which the Innuos fulfills both criteria. 

I wanted to get  computer & NAS out of music system.

Tidal works fine with Ipod as a controller.

Cannot offer any other solutions as this is my sole experience with D & computer audio.

Have a scan around the forums, lots of solutions  & ways to connect , but sometimes  the alternative ways seem to create quite a few sonic problems .
https://www.instagram.com/p/BaltRt0hVHO/
Formerly Devialet 220PRO CI, Magico A3, 2 Gold Phantoms, Dialog/Raspberry PI2 Digi+, ROON Rock NUC8i3, Bluesound Powernode 2i, B&W 607, Audirvana
(23-Oct-2017, 18:57)midi Wrote: https://www.instagram.com/p/BaltRt0hVHO/

HI,

Looking through settings on Innuos it does support Qubuz.

That means you should be able to go back to original plan, Ethernet in & Ethernet out connecting to D.

Seemingly better connection than USB, also conveniently limits the number of expensive boxes & wires needed