Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stereophile: Phantom Gold Review
Check out the review of a pair of Phantom Golds in Stereophile, entitled "Devialet Diary". Does it match with your own experience of them?

The Sofa Has Ears.
I read it - what a lame review.
Quote:https://www.stereophile.com/content/devialet-diary

^indeed

did i read he played DXD files ?
The guy who reviewed them is one of their reviewers who likes his equipment to add a lot of colour to the sound. Frequently he reviews highly coloured kit which he loves despite (or more probably, because) of its high level of distortion.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

He also said to forget the phantoms if you use vinyl as it us purely digital, I'm listening to my vintage Linn Sondek via a analog to digital converter and it sounds terrific

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There was one paragraph that really mattered and that wasn’t great either - a terrible review.
David
What A/D converter are you using to play LPs through your Golds?
Thanks
Bill
I agree that the review is terrible, but it was about time someone called out Devialet Marketing about its hyperbolic claims like "best sound in the world". Most of the review read like he had to write certain number of words to get paid. I like Kal's reviews much better in Stereophile, but he would not review Devialet because he's more into multi-channel music.
Oppo-203 / SonicTransporter i7 Roon Core ->Trinnov Altitute-16->TAD M2500MK-1 -> TAD CR-1
(20-Oct-2017, 23:27)sam1000 Wrote: I like Kal's reviews much better in Stereophile, but he would not review Devialet because he's more into multi-channel music.

That didn’t stop him reviewing the Kii Threes.
Yep. We all have our biases :-)
I have bought a few components based on his reviews and then hearing them. For eg. NAD M22(Like Kii 3s, this is also based on ncore technology).
All I can say is, 250pro will blow all the previous components i have bought out of the water.
Oppo-203 / SonicTransporter i7 Roon Core ->Trinnov Altitute-16->TAD M2500MK-1 -> TAD CR-1