Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Auditioned the 803 D3 - surprising outcome
(24-Oct-2017, 13:09)Confused Wrote: I came to the conclusion that they would be excellent speakers for analysing the music, but not so good for actually enjoying the music.

Well said. I have auditioned B&W 802 D3 many times and I have ended up to the same conclusion.
Bluesound Node > Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 > Genelec 8351B & 7360A
Devialet 1000 Pro
Bluesound Node 2i > Genelec 8330
Tampere, Finland
(23-Oct-2017, 21:59)G-Vialet Wrote: Good Evening Everyone,

Today, I auditioned the BW 803 D3 at my local dealer. With a rather surprising outcome. Please allow me to share my humble experience.

I called my dealer 2 weeks ago to book a session with the BW 803 D3 and the 220 Pro which I own myself. Everything was setup when I got there, even the SAM profile was loaded which I very much appreciated. SAM was always at 100%. I brought a USB stick loaded with my music and a good amount of CDs with more or less the same music, just in case. I always wanted to try those BW speakers with the 220 Pro, particularly because Devialet seems to have a favor for BW during demos and due to all the great reviews I have read.

The music I listen to is groovy, funky and electric. Funk, hip-hop, jazz, electronic, drum&bass, pop and some alternative rock, trying to use the genres to describe my kind of sound. Classic music takes a very tiny part in my collection. I think I started with some songs from Macy Grey’s album Stripped, went on with James Brown and songs from Les McCann’s Talkin’ Verve album, on to Toy from Yelo, Pepe Deluxe and Hello Nasty from the B.Boys.

I always have the impression that my system at home sounds a bit too bright for my ears. The treble is at -2 on my Dev at home. I felt the same today and changed the treble to -1.5 today. Even in my cars I tend to lower the treble. Must be my ears, I’ll take it as a compliment for having unspoiled ears ?

Macy sounded fantastic, a great recording, also confirmed by my dealer. Pure acoustic and unplugged. Fantastic open stage, representing all the details of the instruments, especially the string bass on the right and Macy’s voice always gives me goose bumps. For the funky parts I was missing the groove a bit, not dirty enough, a too perfect reproduction. I hope my words give you an idea.

Well, now here we get to the surprise. I loaded the latest Fünf Sterne Deluxe album. Track 3 is loaded with ridiculous bass which is shaking the windows and your midriff. Not serious, but fun sound, simply entertaining. It didn’t do anything right here. Nothing. Not at all. The BW just didn’t play it. Almost like the 803 D3 thought, no, this is not appropriate music, we are not going to play this. We are not built for this, we are too noble, this is not classic music, better get a sub for this kind of boooom. Missing the bass only happened with this song “Moin Boom Tschack”. I was like really, what’s happening, or rather not?

I switched the discs, trying to find the right music to enjoy this session, trying to find the speaker’s and my sweet spot of today. But, and I hate the ‘but’ here, it too much reminded me of what I have at home. Always bit too clear, too many highs, stressing my ear drums. OK, it’s not exactly like that, but you get the idea. So I asked to switch the 220 pro with a McIntosh MA8900 they have in the shop.

Quick background story. I had an MA5200 at home while the 120 was back in France to replace the chassis where the chrome plating went off and I very much enjoyed its sound. The MA8900 is a monster and the sound is different compared to a Devialet. They even and finally replaced that cheap 5-dollar piece of plastic which they call a remote with something really nice. Still, nothing comes close to the Devialet remote which is a piece of art. If there is another amp for me it would be a McIntosh. I think it is a totally different thing compared to the Devs. A V8 big block vs. a modern hybrid super car. Once more, I tried the booom song with this setup with the same result. Where is bass, damn it? These BWs simply don’t seem to be my cup of tea. I felt really sorry, and happy. Please don’t get me wrong here, this is a fantastic combo, it is just not my cup of tea.

Today’s personal conclusion: I don’t need to spend 16K for a set of speakers. My dealer is great! The MA8900 is super tempting, although I prefer this subtle piece of hardware the 220 Pro is. Now waiting for what the new board will bring for us. From a price point of view, both amps play pretty much in the same league. Being so fortunate for already having a pretty decent system, it is a lot of fun to test and experience different equipment which follow different technical solutions. Blessed!

I’ll be patient and I’ll stay curious and openminded.

Thanks for reading and enjoy the music,
Ralf

Interesting experience. When i was auditioning speakers i also found the B&W (804 D3 in my case) too controlled. It was like wringing out the life of the music. Especially compared with SF's i have now. They may be lacking a little in the detail the B&W's have, but it's sure far more lively (and not sharp to the ear, for sure)... :-)
Devialet 250 Expert Pro / Nordost Valhalla Bi-Wire / Sonus Faber Olympica II
Anthem MRX 710 / B&W MT-60D
Paul Hynes SR7/T LPS / Intel Core i7 NUC-Plato X7D with Roon Lifetime / Melco S100 Switch with 2 x Ansuz Ethernet A2
Dr. Feickert Woodpecker II with Inertia Platter / Dr. Feickert Linear / Jelco TK-850L Arm / Shelter 501 III Cartridge

Power: AQ Niagara 3000 with AQ Tornado to Furutech wall outlet <-> Doepke DFS 2 F Audio Fuse Box and 3 x AQ Blizzard to Components
Regarding low bass loaded music like RAP (ie Fünf Sterne Deluxe album. Track 3) the 8xx D3 series are out of league. The sound signature is cleanliness and speed but for me emotionless and no fun.
I'm lucky to have my preferred dealer in the corner of street. I got several invitations for B&W 8xx D3 series and Magico series. For me the D3 series change the rule the bass is not their best feature even the 800D3/Constellation pre & amplifier have bass but too controlled for me. Maybe Magico Q5 sounded fun bass.
Theses are luxury items with other standards than only audio settings.
System 1 : D800, Piega Classic 80.2, Lumin A1, NUC/Wintel +SSD, Roon lifetime Qobuz sublissime Tidal Hifi subscription 
System 2 : D400, JM Reynaud Cantabile Sublime, Roon.
France
There is an interesting subtext to this thread.  It appears to me that there is proportion of people who have preference for certain bass related characteristics, which some speakers deliver and some do not.  For balance, I do know at least one individual that would strongly disagree about what has been posted here re the B&W 800 series, but that is fine, he has voted with his own cash and bought a pair.

Bartype mentions Sonus Faber, and I have to say I know what he means.  I have heard a number of SF's over recent years, and I tend to like them, and yes I would take the Olympica II or III's over similarly priced B&W's.  Last weekend at the Windsor show I spent some time listening to the new SF Amati Tradition.  Best sound in the show?  Probably not, but it was one of the rooms that I spent the longest time sat listening, I really enjoyed listening to the Amati's.  Most excellent, not cheap though!

Pim mentions that he is not that keen on B&W's.  One thing I know is that he does like Dynaudio.  I while back I was lucky enough to listen to the Dynaudio Confidence C4.  I thought they were very good, they would go nicely with an O'dA I'm sure.  Temptation temptation.....
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
I am the very happy and proud owner of a pair of 802D3. I therefore totally disagree with all what has been written here.

The design of these incredible speakers makes it difficult to master. But once you have dedicated the time and energy to do so, the result is amazing. Transparency, sound stage, bass assertiveness, are all incredible.  I would certainly not switch them for Sonus Fabers nor for KEF Blades. Not for a huge amount of money Wink

The only speakers which would make me stay up at night would be: 
  • Vivid Audio Giya G1(S) as a good friend of mine has listened to them recently and found them awesome
  • YG Acoustics Hayley or Sonja... 
So this is pretty much a matter of taste and expectation. The more I listen to music, the more I meet audiophile friends, the more I understand that the illusion the sound reproduction is creating for each and everyone of us is very different. 

This is just a lesson of humility: no judgement is allowed here. Just the appreciation that we are all different and looking for something else than our neighbour Wink
(25-Oct-2017, 19:02)SwissBear Wrote: I am the very happy and proud owner of a pair of 802D3. I therefore totally disagree with all what has been written here.

The design of these incredible speakers makes it difficult to master. But once you have dedicated the time and energy to do so, the result is amazing. Transparency, sound stage, bass assertiveness, are all incredible.  I would certainly not switch them for Sonus Fabers nor for KEF Blades. Not for a huge amount of money Wink

• Vivid Audio Giya G1(S) as a good friend of mine has listened to them recently and found them awesome
So this is pretty much a matter of taste and expectation. The more I listen to music, the more I meet audiophile friends, the more I understand that the illusion the sound reproduction is creating for each and everyone of us is very different. 

This is just a lesson of humility: no judgement is allowed here. Just the appreciation that we are all different and looking for something else than our neighbour Wink

+1
F
Original d'Atelier No 91 Upgraded CI- Aurender N10- Chord Dave DAC-Chord Mscaler-B&W 800 D3- Isotek EVO3 Mosaic Genesis- Nordost Valhalla 2 power cable- Nordost Valhalla 2 speaker cables- Nordost QB4 and Qx4- Cabledyne RCA-XLR- Transparent Ref XL AES/EBU- Synergistic Atmosphere AC Power Cords- Light Harmonic LS USB- Mutec MC3+USB- Audioquest Diamond ethernet- Étalon ethernet isolator
I have the Giya G1 Spirits ... listened to a set of 803 d3's at a dealer and found them pretty good. Better than the more expensive focal stuff that was also on demo...
Roon/tidal > Squeezebox touch  > Trinnov St2 or DIRAC (minidsp ddrc-22d) > Dual mono D premiers > Vivid Audio Giya G1 Spirits  ...fully treated  dedicated 6x8m room
(25-Oct-2017, 19:02)SwissBear Wrote: I am the very happy and proud owner of a pair of 802D3. I therefore totally disagree with all what has been written here.

Good post Bear.  Smile 

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
It‘s all an inquiry of taste

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

+1 ................  and well said !!   [ been with 802s since 1988 ]
Roon Nucleus w/ Hypsos PSU & AQ Tornado + Roon RAAT  >  AQ Diamond ETH > etherREGEN using SFP + Hypsos PSU | CEC TL-5 CD Transport + AQ Z3 + 3 x Orea Indigo > AQ Diamond AES/EBU 
Devialet 440-Pro CI >  AQ Wel Sig  RCA-XLR | 6 x Orea Bronze, 2 x Synergistic Research Atmosphere PC | B&W 802 D3 {Bi-wired}  >  AQ WEL Signature (Biwire)
REL G1-Mk2 pair | PS Audio PP 12 + AQ NRG-1000 | Puritan GroundMaster + RouteMaster | SAM DISABLED - DPM OFF - Northern Virginia - US