Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stereo pairing a gold and a silver phantom
Hello All,

This is my 1st post here.

I got a Silver phantom 2 weeks ago and am thinking of adding another one in a stereo pair, primarily to enhance the living room listening experience. Has anyone tried stereo pairing a gold and a silver? Since the tweeters and the power outputs are different, I was wondering if there are any potential issues?

Second, I was wondering what Devialet plans to do with the old Silvers which might be upgraded via their "Gold my phantom program" :-) Do you guys think the returned Silvers might be offered at discounts as refurbished items?

Thank you!
If being used in the same room I wouldn’t mix them up. They are not the same speaker so your stereo image will most likely be messed up.
(01-Nov-2017, 23:57)stevec Wrote: If being used in the same room I wouldn’t mix them up. They are not the same speaker so your stereo image will most likely be messed up.

Your stereo imaging will be centered towards the Gold because the Gold is louder by a few db.  So it won't work well.

Also, the Gold has different timbre than the Silver.  Gold is better and more realistic in that it has better resolution and faster transients.

I too wonder what they do with all the traded in Silvers.  I think they probably use it for large scale commercial installations as demos or special rates.
(02-Nov-2017, 03:39)MountainGuy Wrote: I think they probably use it for large scale commercial installations as demos or special rates.

That is my thinking too. Reflash them with low latency firmware and prepare them for use with the 'Dante dongle'
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
+1 with mountainguy

The difference in db is too big.