Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
And already a SAM related problem...
I've read about SAM1 to SAM2 profile migration problems. However, for fun, I've tried V8 profiles from 804D3 as well as profiles from other manufacturers such as Focal and thumping is present in all if SAM2 is on and volume is raised to moderate levels.

No thumping on any pre V8 profiles and SAM1.

It will be interesting to see if lowering SAM2 % will solve the problem, once I get the remote.
I have a pair of Vienna Acoustics The Music floor standing speakers. The SAM profile for the speaker just came out a year and a half ago I think. Without the SAM engaged the speaker sounds just fine. Soon as I engage the SAM I get the loud thumping even at moderate volumes when there is a strong bass passage; for instance in the Eagles Hotel California track. It’s an excellent recording in 24 bit 192K which really tests your system thoroughly I think.

I went back-and-forth with the Devialet support team for several weeks and they even sent me two profiles which they said were tweaked and perfected for the speaker. The problem just didn’t go away and I gave up and decided to leave the SAM off. By the way I don’t use the phono stage as I don’t have a turntable.

The other thing is that my speaker never had a V1 SAM, by the time they came out with the SAM profile it was the V2. So essentially I can’t compare the two. I could go back to version 7.1.3 but then a lot of the newer features would be lost that come with the current firmware.

Not being able to engage SAM is a downright shame, because the thumping sound aside, it greatly widens the soundstage and the vocals definitely image better. It’s a pity

Does any one have link or file for version 7.1.3 by any chance?

Thanks
I have a copy of v7.1.3 beta firmware (not sure whether it ever got to a non-beta release). I'd be happy to send it to you if you'd like to PM me with your e-mail address.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
Sure, thanks very much

It’s salk81@me.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
After I upgraded my 250 to CI I have not noticed the 'thumping' problem. It was quite frequent and reproducible before. Is this related to 10.1.0 and earlier?
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
(07-Nov-2017, 21:25)invictus005 Wrote: With SAM off, everything is fine on any playback method. With SAM on, I get clear, fairly loud, thumping noise in the system as it limits woofer excursion. It's especially audible during vinyl playback (I have a Michell Gyro SE turntable on Sound Anchors rack). And this is not even at loud volumes, just moderate listening. While playing vinyl it pretty much thumps every second or two throughout the entire record including the lead-in/out grooves. It does not do it if set to RIAA 1976, but it's loud and clear if set to RIAA 1953 or while using an external phono preamp.

It's not as audible during digital playback, but it's audibly there. However, if I go to YouTube and play a 20Hz tone, it starts thumping trying to limit the excursion starting at medium playback volume. You can visually see the cones move less during the audible thump. 

I would think that SAM's operation in limiting woofer excursion should be a little less audible and more seamless. I'm using Bowers & Wilkins speakers with correct SAM profile. 

Any suggestions on what I might be doing wrong? If this is normal, then SAM (even though it sounds amazing) is pretty much useless.
Hi had the same issue using Sam with my PMC speakers i could hear the occasional thump. I thought it was on the recording but it seems to be an issue with Sam.