Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Air
Hi, I don't use Air with my 220 Pro, not sure what it is or how Air works, if someone could explain and say how to set up Air. I currently use Innuos server into the 220 via USB. Would Air provide a better sound? Reading on here and other forums speculates Air has issues.

Regards.
I would probably use USB with Innuos. According to the Innuos, USB gives a better sound quality than AIR. More importantly, it will most likely work better than AIR.
Bluesound Node > Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 > Genelec 8351B & 7360A
Devialet 1000 Pro
Bluesound Node 2i > Genelec 8330
Tampere, Finland
(09-Nov-2017, 13:06)petrik Wrote: I would probably use USB with Innuos. According to the Innuos, USB gives a better sound quality than AIR. More importantly, it will most likely work better than AIR.

Thanks, yes USB works very well, was just curious about Air and how to set up.
If you use Roon it's very easy. It locates your Devialet on the network automatically if the Devialet is plugged in via ethernet or connected wirelessly. If not you can download an app from the Devialet website and there are instructions there (I think).

I find Roon Air sounds better than my microRendu did via USB.
SYSTEM 1:Grimm MU-1 running Roon Server & Ready//Grimm TPM//GRIMM LS1be
SYSTEM 2: Antipodes DX Roon Server// MiniDSP// Grimm TPM// Dutch & Dutch 8C

I would agree that AIR does sound better than USB via the microRendu. Perhaps the newer microRendu (or ultraRendu) with the Uptone power supply would bring them up to the same level.

But I would also say that Roon's integration of AIR is more stable than Devialet's AIR app. But they both seem to sound excellent.
Devialet 440 Pro (two 220s)- Oracle CD transport - Kuzma Stabi S/Stogi S turntable - Von Schweikert VR-35 speakers - JPS SC3 SCs - PI Audio power conditioning -
Triode Wire Labs ICs and PCs - Roon on NUC 8i7beh running ROCK
Durham, NC USA
(09-Nov-2017, 11:20)kompressor Wrote: Hi, I don't use Air with my 220 Pro, not sure what it is or how Air works, if someone could explain and say how to set up Air. I currently use Innuos server into the 220 via USB. Would Air provide a better sound? Reading on here and other forums speculates Air has issues.

Regards.

I just did it tonight and I'm a novice. Steps I took:

1. Have a damned good wifi access point near the Expert. Mine is wired to my modem.
2. Ensure the access point has a 2.4g band
3. Use configurator to add the wifi settings for the 2.4g band and update SD card
4. Load Devialet Air onto a computer, mine is a MacBook
5. Make sure the computer is on the same 2.4g band as the access point
6. I use Audirvana+ app (it costs), added my two streaming accounts and located and indexed my server. The latter takes time depending on library size. 
7. A few basic settings in Audirvana+ on the mac to beam to the Devialet, basically selecting Devialet Air wifi from the Devialet tab and selecting Devialet Air as the sound output, which can also be done in Audirvana+ preferences.

If the access point is near the Devialet, ethernet is just as good and is the only way I can play 24/192.
250 Pro CI; Innuos Zen Mk3; Claro dual turntable (Expert Stylus Denon + OL Aladdin Mk2); RCM Sensor2; Wilson Sabrina; OePhi speaker cables; Puritan PM156 conditioner and Ultimate cables.
(10-Nov-2017, 02:45)ssfas Wrote:
(09-Nov-2017, 11:20)kompressor Wrote: Hi, I don't use Air with my 220 Pro, not sure what it is or how Air works, if someone could explain and say how to set up Air. I currently use Innuos server into the 220 via USB. Would Air provide a better sound? Reading on here and other forums speculates Air has issues.

Regards.

I just did it tonight and I'm a novice. Steps I took:

1. Have a damned good wifi access point near the Expert. Mine is wired to my modem.
2. Ensure the access point has a 2.4g band
3. Use configurator to add the wifi settings for the 2.4g band and update SD card
4. Load Devialet Air onto a computer, mine is a MacBook
5. Make sure the computer is on the same 2.4g band as the access point
6. I use Audirvana+ app (it costs), added my two streaming accounts and located and indexed my server. The latter takes time depending on library size. 
7. A few basic settings in Audirvana+ on the mac to beam to the Devialet, basically selecting Devialet Air wifi from the Devialet tab and selecting Devialet Air as the sound output, which can also be done in Audirvana+ preferences.

If the access point is near the Devialet, ethernet is just as good and is the only way I can play 24/192.

Thanks.
Has any of you experience with a mac mini as server via direct Ethernet? I’m wondering if replacing the MMini with a dedicated server like Innuos would improve SQ significantly?
I don’t expect it to because AIR is so good as is because it should not suffer from electrical interference (noisy power supply of a mac)
That's the configuration I'm using for most of my listening. My Mac Mini runs Roon Core with output via Roon's built-in AIR over wired Ethernet to my 440 Pro. The Ethernet connection is via the built-in, two-port switch of an Apple Airport Express. I don't use any fancy cables or power supplies. It sounds great to me.

I don't have any experience of the Innuos server and couldn't say whether or not it would sound any different or better to your ears. If you really want to answer that question you should probably listen to one in your system, preferably using a blind test to avoid confirmation bias.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK