Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
One Silver phantom for 20 x 25 room second room?
My main listening room has a Dev 400 and is (for me) perfect (single purpose room). My wife is wanting to upgrade the sound in our family room which currently has a decent Denon multipurpose amp/receiver driving some Boston Acoustics bookshelf speakers.

Would a single silver phantom be much of an improvement of the Denon/BA mix? Trying to keep costs down but give her what she wants. . .another option could be simply to upgrade speakers to some decent floor standing Elacs or something. .

Opinions? Thanks!
I think it would be an improvement from the bass and overall balance perspective as well as from a dynamics perspective.

However, with a single phantom you would loose the stereo reproduction, so it depends how your wife is listening to her music: is it sitting in the sweet spot, in which case I would think that a single phantom might be an issue, or is it moving in the room while doing other things, in which case, I thing a single phantom would fit the bill quite well?
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France
I would rather choose two whites over one silver, but if you plan to buy one silver and buy another in the near future, than go for it.
Definitely two Silver...

Maybe wait a bit, save some monies to get two silver...

Then you will truly hear the difference and your Mrs will be thrilled...

The only problem is cost, cost, cost... but what can’t we do to make wife happy?

Good luck
 Angenet. 
  5 Silver Phantoms (2 stereo and 3 solo in 3 rooms). 4 Raspberry Pi 3b with Hifiberry digi + boards connected to four Phantoms. 1 Dialog with Airplay, Roon Lifetime Membership for perfect group play. Qobuz sublime, Tidal Hifi,  1 NAS Qnap tS-210 Pro. Location: West Yorkshire, UK.
One Silver will be fine. More than enough power. Personally though I’d go two Whites. Sound-wise it’s much better and you get the stereo imaging and all the other benefits of a Silver.

If you can afford the two Whites go for it.
If you were gonna get two Silvers you may as well just get a single Gold Phantom. It will outperform two Silvers easily in all aspects including soundstage and imaging.

Nothing wrong with the Silvers but for a similar price two Whites will give you a dramatic increase in quality just because of the stereo aspect.

The Whites also sound better currently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Devialet Phantom (White)
I am not sure how a single Gold can have a better soundstage and image than two Silvers. It would still be a mono speaker.
(31-Jan-2018, 20:12)Rodrat2 Wrote: I am not sure how a single Gold can have a better soundstage and image than two Silvers. It would still be a mono speaker.

Because it has more power to push a wider sound. It’s using different processing techniques than Silvers and a different tweeter. It all makes a difference and a single Gold on its own was designed for this whole application. A stand alone product that does as much or more then a system. For sure it would outperform two Silvers. I’ve heard it. Silvers are trash in comparison. To be honest the White Phantoms currently perform better. The Gold is considerably more capable in all aspects. It’s soundstage is incredible.

Two Silvers can be placed further apart but for this application a single Gold would do as much as two Silvers would in that space. Providing it’s positioned correctly.

Devialet Phantom (White)
No way that one Gold sounds better than two Silvers, a soundstage has nothing to do with more power itself. You only get a real soundstage with a minimum of two speakers.

So my suggestion stays at said above, go for two whites instead of one silver and go for one silver if you can afford a second one later on. Try one gold vs. 2 silver and you will see that the gold will not have a chance. Maybe it is more refined in the mids but you will have no soundstage and that's what it makes the sound much more pleasant.
(03-Feb-2018, 00:55)nicosocha Wrote: No way that one Gold sounds better than two Silvers, a soundstage has nothing to do with more power itself. You only get a real soundstage with a minimum of two speakers.

So my suggestion stays at said above, go for two whites instead of one silver and go for one silver if you can afford a second one later on. Try one gold vs. 2 silver and you will see that the gold will not have a chance. Maybe it is more refined in the mids but you will have no soundstage and that's what it makes the sound much more pleasant.

I disagree. But it’s down to personal opinion.

My damn White is as wide as a stereo setup in ideal conditions. It depends how you’re listening, where, the source, and the positioning, as well as room acoustics.

Devialet Phantom (White)
Are we talking Whites? Or Elevates? Having done side by side 45 day trial of an immersion package involving two Elevates and two Golds... two Elevates will trounce ONE Gold. TWO Golds will trounce TWO Elevates on initial listening - particularly since like most anyone, you will set them at the same volume setting initially - my initial reaction was OMG these aren’t even close! Until I volume matched them which is about 10 points difference given the way the system architecture is set up. Gold @50 = Elevate @60. Once leveling the playing field - louder always sounds better all other things being equal - yes there is a difference and the Gold IS better by a diminishing returns amount. You will be better off with a Duo of Elevates than a single Gold every day of the week for similar cost, tho. BUT, at the risk of creating an entire firestorm, given the existing infrastructure you have going, I think you’re better off with simply upgrading the Bookshelves with Elac bookshelves and adding the Elac sub (Insert any bookshelf/sub combo du jour that suits her/your fancy) than a single Phantom. And saving the difference. My 0.02...