Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
dialog to play from ethernet external drive
dear all, first thread from very layman not understanding various acronyms and app names I see on this forum. I did quite a bit of search and could not find an answer for what I expected to be a very simple request: have Dialog play content stored on an external hard drive. I have several tablets and smartphones running Spark and don t want to have to have my music on these devices hence the question on the hard drive.

I have Dialog and dual phantom, and Spark installed on several tablets and phones. Spark is v 1.11.1 and is supposed to support UPnP since very recently hence the difficulty to find relevant posts. I have activated UPnP for Dialog in Spark.

If I connect the HD via USB on the Dialog, Spark shows no content. And while I see Dialog as a media player on my home network I don t see the HD.

If I connect the HD via USB to my router I see it and can access it from my ethernet network but Spark/Dialog does not see it.

I saw on Devialet web site that one should be able to achieve what I want (though not very clear) with that new UPnP support provided one has 1. a NAS or simple external HD, 2. remote access (which I don t understand where and how to put, look like SW to run on PCs but the whole point is to not need anything else but HD and Spark on some mobile devices), and 3. renderer which are the Phantoms.
https://help.devialet.com/hc/en-us/artic...5004436969

Any help? many thanks in advance.
You will need a Media Server as the Dialog is not one. Dialog (or a single Phantom - Solo) works as UPnP renderers. If you have a NAS for your music storage it is likely that you have a DLNA/UPnP server on it. Other vice you'll have to install one. There is a server in JRiver and many say MinimServer is good. The Remote access/Remote Control is the app that lets you select and play. It 'sits between' server and renderer. Spark is not a Remote Control. Bubble UPnP is one example of Remote Control..
I agree Devialet has not done a good job describing UPnP, and Dialog should have a built-in server and see music on a USB disk directly attached, but it doesn't. Western Digital My Cloud has a built in DLNA server which might be an alternative in your setting. Please note that UPnP/DLNA is not a very strict standard. You can easily experience that some things don't work.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
Thank you ogs.
Did all of that and works.
- external HDD drive on my router, USB/UPnP enabled
- Spark set to enable UPnP
- installed BubbleUPnP on my tablet, and set Living room as speaker
Then need to use BubbleUPnP to play HDD content, and Spark to play TV or Radio.
Router is having a bit of a hard time playing its NAV role (will not list all files if too many in same folder, will at times lose info such as folder name or track thumbnails) but is manageable. But I guess that is the price to pay for such shortcut vs. real NAV server.

Hopefully Devialet will enable Dialog USB and get it all through there and through Spark sometime soon... that would be a most welcome addition!