Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BNC to RCA S/PDIF cable.
I have been looking for a BNC to RCA S/PDIF cable.  I am currently using a RCA to RCA cable with a RCA to BNC adaptor, and basically want to loose the adaptor.  The cable is to go between a CD player and Mutec MC3+USB.  I only use the CD player on rare occasions, and the CD player is a few years old and probably not worth a lot, so I do not want to spend big money on this.  That said, I do want a something of reasonably good quality.  Maybe something in the £50 or so region, I do not want to spend £100's on this.

I have had a quick look on the 'net, and cannot find an obvious candidate to purchase.  This surprised me a little, I thought this would be an easy one.  Does anyone have any ideas?  (with availability in UK / Europe)
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(12-Nov-2017, 16:16)Confused Wrote: I have been looking for a BNC to RCA S/PDIF cable.  I am currently using a RCA to RCA cable with a RCA to BNC adaptor, and basically want to loose the adaptor.  The cable is to go between a CD player and Mutec MC3+USB.  I only use the CD player on rare occasions, and the CD player is a few years old and probably not worth a lot, so I do not want to spend big money on this.  That said, I do want a something of reasonably good quality.  Maybe something in the £50 or so region, I do not want to spend £100's on this.

I have had a quick look on the 'net, and cannot find an obvious candidate to purchase.  This surprised me a little, I thought this would be an easy one.  Does anyone have any ideas?  (with availability in UK / Europe)

Hi Confused, look here,
http://www.funk-tonstudiotechnik.de/Audi...igital.htm
Aavik U-280 / Audio Physic Cardeas / Melco N1ZS + D100 / Melco Switch S100 / KECES P8 Dual / Transparent Audio PowerWave X / Cable: Audioquest, Shunyata, Transparent, Ansuz Digitalz A2 Ethernet, USB
Remote: iPad-Pro
Roon Nucleus+(B), Lifetime / Qobuz Studio Sublime                                                                                                          
Germany / Bavaria
(12-Nov-2017, 16:51)K4680 Wrote: http://www.funk-tonstudiotechnik.de/Audi...igital.htm

Very interesting to see the CASA-T build cable of 1-metre length under € 60 (for D400 / 440Pro / 800 / 1000Pro / O d'A owners) who wish to try the RCA-AES format LINK cable prior to making the move to some seriously expensive ones.
Roon Nucleus w/ Hypsos PSU & AQ Tornado + Roon RAAT  >  AQ Diamond ETH > etherREGEN using SFP + Hypsos PSU | CEC TL-5 CD Transport + AQ Z3 + 3 x Orea Indigo > AQ Diamond AES/EBU 
Devialet 440-Pro CI >  AQ Wel Sig  RCA-XLR | 6 x Orea Bronze, 2 x Synergistic Research Atmosphere PC | B&W 802 D3 {Bi-wired}  >  AQ WEL Signature (Biwire)
REL G1-Mk2 pair | PS Audio PP 12 + AQ NRG-1000 | Puritan GroundMaster + RouteMaster | SAM DISABLED - DPM OFF - Northern Virginia - US
(12-Nov-2017, 16:16)Confused Wrote: I have been looking for a BNC to RCA S/PDIF cable.  I am currently using a RCA to RCA cable with a RCA to BNC adaptor, and basically want to loose the adaptor.  The cable is to go between a CD player and Mutec MC3+USB.  I only use the CD player on rare occasions, and the CD player is a few years old and probably not worth a lot, so I do not want to spend big money on this.  That said, I do want a something of reasonably good quality.  Maybe something in the £50 or so region, I do not want to spend £100's on this.

Hi Confused,

I purchased one from Atlas in Scottland which I used to connect the Trinnov to my old MC-3. It is an excellent cable and I really enjoyed it. Would be willing to sell but it might be a bit more expensive than you are wanting to spend. Just PM me if interested.

BB
Kii Three Speakers | JL Audio Fathom Subwoofer  | KEF LS50 Speakers | Samsung 850 Soundbar
Innuos Statement | Trinnov Altitude 32 | PS Audio Stellar S300 Amp | T+A HA 200 Headphone Amplifier | Meze Empyrean Headphones
Sean Jacobs DC-3 Custom Build LPS | Roon Core DIY Server | SOtM sNH-10G Modded Switch | Oppo UDP-205 Blu-Ray/SACD Player
T+A G 2000 R Turntable | DS Audio E1 Optical Stylus | Gordian Lab 12 Power Conditioner | Artesania Audio Rack
Continue on with the adaptor..
ONLY bnc to bnc will allow for the 75 ohms impedance the SPDIF digital cable should have , once you introduce an RCA in the mix , you cannot get that impedance .. no use trying with a bnc to rca cable
Roon/tidal > Squeezebox touch  > Trinnov St2 or DIRAC (minidsp ddrc-22d) > Dual mono D premiers > Vivid Audio Giya G1 Spirits  ...fully treated  dedicated 6x8m room
(14-Nov-2017, 12:02)Rodney Gold Wrote: Continue on with the adaptor..
ONLY bnc to bnc will allow for the 75 ohms impedance the SPDIF digital cable should have , once you introduce an RCA in the mix , you cannot get that impedance .. no use trying with a bnc to rca cable

A very confident reply but one that confuses me.

If introducing a RCA connector compromises the cable impedance (accepted) then surely
the current RCA to RCA/BNC link is equally as bad as
the proposed RCA to BNC link

Another suggestion for a RCA to BNC cable is one produced by Blue Jeans.
They also provide information about why they use the Canare RCA connector.
Well, its not really bad for the cable not to have a 75ohm impedance... most dont ... but I doubt you will get a performance hike..maybe get one for peace of mind ... and a bnc to rca cable isnt that expensive anyway
Roon/tidal > Squeezebox touch  > Trinnov St2 or DIRAC (minidsp ddrc-22d) > Dual mono D premiers > Vivid Audio Giya G1 Spirits  ...fully treated  dedicated 6x8m room
It is not only a question wether a Plug has a 75Ω impedance but also the receptacle and the ones Devialet uses are high mass and therefore quite likely not 75Ω. As these inputs can change function it makes sense that Devialet uses RCA and no BCN inputs

I made a BCN to RCA cable using a Furutech BCN connector and a WBT Nextgen(Ag) RCA (WBT claims that it has 75Ω impedance but I think that is a somewhat mute point). The cable I used is Pulsar Ag from VHaudio (75Ω) and it sounds much better than anything I tried. But the best sound I get from this cable when I use a Neutrik RCA to XLR adaptor as the AES input (normally used for my CD transport) is just better than RCA inputs. So one has to consider the hole connection including the receptacles on both sides!
Thanks to all for the input here so far, good stuff.

Regarding the debate regarding impedance and RCA to BNC adaptors etc., I think it would help if I explain my motivation behind wanting to replace my adaptor for a proper BNC to RCA cable.

A while back there were some posts on Computer Audiophile regarding some experimental measurement kit that the Sonore guys are setting up, in part to to get some hard data regarding the benefits of audio clocks in various parts of the streaming chain.  There were some comments about the use of RCA to BNC adaptors when they were experimenting with the set up of this kit.  This is the key comment:

I had to use a BCN to RCA adapter in order to continue to use the same interconnect I had been using. When I switched to an interconnect that didn't need the adapter the jitter measurement was reduced by half.  

We still await the results of whatever it is that Sonnore are testing and experimenting with, but mindful of the comment above, I thought that ditching the adaptor might just be a good idea.....
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(14-Nov-2017, 18:51)Confused Wrote: Thanks to all for the input here so far, good stuff.

Regarding the debate regarding impedance and RCA to BNC adaptors etc., I think it would help if I explain my motivation behind wanting to replace my adaptor for a proper BNC to RCA cable.

A while back there were some posts on Computer Audiophile regarding some experimental measurement kit that the Sonore guys are setting up, in part to to get some hard data regarding the benefits of audio clocks in various parts of the streaming chain.  There were some comments about the use of RCA to BNC adaptors when they were experimenting with the set up of this kit.  This is the key comment:

I had to use a BCN to RCA adapter in order to continue to use the same interconnect I had been using. When I switched to an interconnect that didn't need the adapter the jitter measurement was reduced by half.  

We still await the results of whatever it is that Sonnore are testing and experimenting with, but mindful of the comment above, I thought that ditching the adaptor might just be a good idea.....
I think it is likely the adapter but it could be also the different cables
There are also fancier adapters https://blackcatcable.com/products/xox-p...ca-adapter. That would require to use a BNC terminated cable. I am quite happy with my DIY approach.