Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Please Explain Roon RAAT
Could someone please explain what exactly is Roon RAAT ?

[ do we need it in a server, renderer, ??? ]

If I were to do this setup as below, where & how RAAT will help ?

sonicTransporter i5 w/ internal 2TB SSD ** - - > dCS Network Bridge *** - - > Dev

** = Ethernet;    *** = AES/EBU XLR

----------------------------------------------------------------------

If the Devs become RAAT, how would this help in the above setup ?

many thanks in advance ...  Smile
Roon Nucleus w/ Hypsos PSU & AQ Tornado + Roon RAAT  >  AQ Diamond ETH > etherREGEN using SFP + Hypsos PSU | CEC TL-5 CD Transport + AQ Z3 + 3 x Orea Indigo > AQ Diamond AES/EBU 
Devialet 440-Pro CI >  AQ Wel Sig  RCA-XLR | 6 x Orea Bronze, 2 x Synergistic Research Atmosphere PC | B&W 802 D3 {Bi-wired}  >  AQ WEL Signature (Biwire)
REL G1-Mk2 pair | PS Audio PP 12 + AQ NRG-1000 | Puritan GroundMaster + RouteMaster | SAM DISABLED - DPM OFF - Northern Virginia - US
Please check Roon's knowledge base first. I think that answers to many of your questions:
https://kb.roonlabs.com/RAAT
Bluesound Node > Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 > Genelec 8351B & 7360A
Devialet 1000 Pro
Bluesound Node 2i > Genelec 8330
Tampere, Finland
(20-Nov-2017, 12:11)petrik Wrote: Please check Roon's knowledge base first. I think that answers to many of your questions:
https://kb.roonlabs.com/RAAT

Thanks & I did check that link earlier to my original post but it doesn't explain much ...

I asked a specific question related to the devices in my post. Hope to get some answers on that ...
Roon Nucleus w/ Hypsos PSU & AQ Tornado + Roon RAAT  >  AQ Diamond ETH > etherREGEN using SFP + Hypsos PSU | CEC TL-5 CD Transport + AQ Z3 + 3 x Orea Indigo > AQ Diamond AES/EBU 
Devialet 440-Pro CI >  AQ Wel Sig  RCA-XLR | 6 x Orea Bronze, 2 x Synergistic Research Atmosphere PC | B&W 802 D3 {Bi-wired}  >  AQ WEL Signature (Biwire)
REL G1-Mk2 pair | PS Audio PP 12 + AQ NRG-1000 | Puritan GroundMaster + RouteMaster | SAM DISABLED - DPM OFF - Northern Virginia - US
I believe you DCS network bridge already has RAAT so if you are seeing it directly from Roon as a network device it is working ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Roon/RAAT - Dev 250 Pro - AQ Castle Rock - SF Olympica ii
(20-Nov-2017, 12:04)audio_engr Wrote: Could someone please explain what exactly is Roon RAAT ?

[ do we need it in a server, renderer, ??? ]

If I were to do this setup as below, where & how RAAT will help ?

sonicTransporter i5 w/ internal 2TB SSD ** - - > dCS Network Bridge *** - - > Dev

** = Ethernet;    *** = AES/EBU XLR

----------------------------------------------------------------------

If the Devs become RAAT, how would this help in the above setup ?

many thanks in advance ...  Smile

If the Devialet amp becomes a RAAT device your dCS Bridge may become redundant. I say may because the dCS could still sound better than RAAT directly to the amp. We will not know until RAAT is running on the CI board. Presently I prefer mR->Mutec->AES/EBU to my Devialet amp over Roon/AIR. I believe the dCS (of course also a RAAT device) is in the same league as mR/Mutec (I haven't heard the dCS), so you could end up liking the sound of the dCS Network Bridge better than RAAT on the Devialet CI board.
The advantage of RAAT in the amp is that you'd be able to control many amp functions from Roon - volume for example. If you have more than one zone and want them synced, you will need RAAT. Roon/AIR does have some control of the amp, but can not do zone sync.

EDIT: I see that you use a 400. RAAT in the Devialet amps can only happen on the CI board - i.e. Pro amps. And yes, you'd still need a Roon server or Core, but the RAAT(or AIR) device is the 'renderer'
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
(20-Nov-2017, 13:28)ogs Wrote: If the Devialet amp becomes a RAAT device your dCS Bridge may become redundant. I say may because the dCS could still sound better than RAAT directly to the amp. We will not know until RAAT is running on the CI board. Presently I prefer mR->Mutec->AES/EBU to my Devialet amp over Roon/AIR. I believe the dCS (of course also a RAAT device) is in the same league as mR/Mutec (I haven't heard the dCS), so you could end up liking the sound of the dCS Network Bridge better than RAAT on the Devialet CI board.
The advantage of RAAT in the amp is that you'd be able to control many amp functions from Roon - volume for example. If you have more than one zone and want them synced, you will need RAAT. Roon/AIR does have some control of the amp, but can not do zone sync.

EDIT: I see that you use a 400. RAAT in the Devialet amps can only happen on the CI board - i.e. Pro amps. And yes, you'd still need a Roon server or Core, but the RAAT(or AIR) device is the 'renderer'

Thank you for the explanations. 

Yes - I've a D400 as I couldn't take advantage of the upgrade program. From what you've said, it makes sense for me to go for the $4k investment of dCS Network Bridge than to probably try & upgrade my D400 to 440Pro with the CI. 

Question :  Apart from controlling functionalities of Dev using RAAT thru the CI board, is there any other additional SQ benefits by opting for CI board in Dev vs. having RAAT on the dCS Network Bridge ?
[note : my end goal of going the dCS way was to add Mutec Ref 10 later to scale UP the SQ]. I can't do that with Dev's CI board.
We know nothing about the sound quality of the CI board yet. We may find that the AES input of the Devialet is improved with the CI or maybe it's not...
With a Mutec REF 10 on the dCS Bridge I am sure it will sound stellar. Comparing mR/Mutec MC3 and Roon/AIR there is actually quite a big difference; the mR/Mutec is much better. A REF 10 on the MC3 is a dream, but the REF10 is unfortunately too expensive for me. Even if RAAT is better than Roon's AIR implementation the CI board would need a real reclocker to compete with the Mutec or dCS. And, as you say, the CI board does not even have a word clock input.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
(20-Nov-2017, 21:22)ogs Wrote: We know nothing about the sound quality of the CI board yet. We may find that the AES input of the Devialet is improved with the CI or maybe it's not...
With a Mutec REF 10 on the dCS Bridge I am sure it will sound stellar. Comparing mR/Mutec MC3 and Roon/AIR there is actually quite a big difference; the mR/Mutec is much better. A REF 10 on the MC3 is a dream, but the REF10 is unfortunately too expensive for me. Even if RAAT is better than Roon's AIR implementation the CI board would need a real reclocker to compete with the Mutec or dCS. And, as you say, the CI board does not even have a word clock input.

You have made things very simple for me ... a BIG Thank you !!   Smile

Question : I was looking at the sonicTransporter i5 w/ int SSD for running Roon Server. I also see Roon coming up with Roon Nucleus servers and am looking at their Nucleus+ which is an i7 and w/ int SSD. What's your hunch between the TWO ?
The idea is to use it for streaming to dCS.
If you plan to put your own music on a drive directly attached to Roon Core the importance of i5 vs i7 would be whether you plan to use Roon's DSP or not. For heavy DSP use an i7 is better and more future proof. Even an i5 (which is what I use currently) is OK today, but it may struggle if I use a lot of DSP (like DSD upsampling and convolution with long filters)
Devialetless!