Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ensemble System - Sub Overkill???
Thinking about investing in the Ensemble system. I have a very nice Genesis sub that sounds great, but using it with the Ensemble for an extra 5hz of extension seems like overkill.

For those that have heard the system, can the -3db @ 25hz spec be believed? I'm not a "thump thump" bass nut, but I love how full extension opens up the soundstage of a system.

Thanks in advance for sharing your experience.
Can't answer your question but if I remember right you can't use SAM and the Devialet built in crossover settings at the same time so any subwoofer that you connect will get a full range signal as will your main loudspeakers. You could of course use an external crossover/DSP/filter for your sub but you can't high pass filter your mains LS without disabling SAM.
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
Thanks Antoine. Not the best news. Can anyone else confirm?
You cannot high pass filter your main LS in SAM as that would somewhat defeat the SAM object, but you can (at least in dual mono) add a pre-out (on the companion) to drive a sub and you can then use the low pass filter.

And I have not tried it in practice but it looks from the configurator that you can use a low pass stereo pre out, whilst in SAM, on the 250 and the 200. Then set the remote button 2 as SAM on/off and button 3 as pre out on/off.
Innuos Statement 2TB SSD with Next-Gen PSU (with Roon lifetime)
MacBook Pro (with Air)
Draytek Vigor 2860v-Plus/Devialet Original d'Atelier CI Nos. 54A&B/Magico M3 pair
Shunyata cables (digital/interconnect/loudspeaker/power)/Shunyata power units (Triton/Typhon)

Dialog/Phantom Gold/Tree pair
Missing Link cables (power)
England
I've an Ensemble system - absolutely no need for a sub.

very happy,

Rik
Devialet Ensemble

Hampshire, UK
Thanks Rik. What size is your listening room?
About 15ft x 20ft.

Rik
Devialet Ensemble

Hampshire, UK