Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Core Infinity listening impressions and comparisons
Well my 250 Pro arrived back today, sporting a very smart new copper derriere. Was icy cold when it came out of the UPS truck, so I let it warm up for a bit before connecting it all up. New software went on with no trouble, and a slightly tweaked config installed for good measure.

Not much has changed with regard to functionality; AIR always worked OK for me, and it still does. Haven't listened to much vinyl yet, but worked ok when I tested it, and TV (via optical) works OK too. Need to explore the new Upnp setting, and looking forward to direct tidal integration.

The last couple of hours have been mainly spent listening to music via Melco (USB) with music stored on disk, and via Tidal. From an SQ perspective, my very early first impressions are below. Note that I'm not especially technical - this is a very subjective opinion!

Lotte Kestner - The main vocal seemed even more immediate, and the multi-tracked backing vocals were clearer. Her arrangements are very sparse, and they came through with loads of atmosphere.

Everything But The Girl - Walking Wounded is a great album and sounded fantastic. It's particularly well engineered, but I honestly don't think it's sounded better. The electronic percussion was particularly enjoyable - clean and snappy - with every precision crackle sounding annoyingly authentic.

Richard Buckner - again, vocals sound superb; pin sharp soundstage (like he's singing directly out of the fireplace). Lovely clean guitar sound.

School of Seven Bells - very much as above; vocals that jump right out at you, crisp percussion and a wall of sound where you can make out the components.

Still early days, but it does seem that music is presented more dynamically with improved separation. Overall, it sounds like it's had a power boost - just more of all the music. So far, very happy.
Devialet 1000 Pro. Martin Logan Montis, Michell Gyrodec, Melco N1ZH, Mutec MC3+ USB
(04-Dec-2017, 20:44)ozthepoz Wrote: Well my 250 Pro arrived back today, sporting a very smart new copper derriere. Was icy cold when it came out of the UPS truck, so I let it warm up for a bit before connecting it all up. New software went on with no trouble, and a slightly tweaked config installed for good measure.

Not much has changed with regard to functionality; AIR always worked OK for me, and it still does. Haven't listened to much vinyl yet, but worked ok when I tested it, and TV (via optical) works OK too. Need to explore the new Upnp setting, and looking forward to direct tidal integration.

The last couple of hours have been mainly spent listening to music via Melco (USB) with music stored on disk, and via Tidal. From an SQ perspective, my very early first impressions are below. Note that I'm not especially technical - this is a very subjective opinion!

Lotte Kestner - The main vocal seemed even more immediate, and the multi-tracked backing vocals were clearer. Her arrangements are very sparse, and they came through with loads of atmosphere.

Everything But The Girl - Walking Wounded is a great album and sounded fantastic. It's particularly well engineered, but I honestly don't think it's sounded better. The electronic percussion was particularly enjoyable - clean and snappy - with every precision crackle sounding annoyingly authentic.

Richard Buckner - again, vocals sound superb; pin sharp soundstage (like he's singing directly out of the fireplace). Lovely clean guitar sound.

School of Seven Bells - very much as above; vocals that jump right out at you, crisp percussion and a wall of sound where you can make out the components.

Still early days, but it does seem that music is presented more dynamically with improved separation. Overall, it sounds like it's had a power boost - just more of all the music. So far, very happy.

Thanks for this very +ve feedback. I must say that I am almost feeling relieved! I now can not wait to have my 1000 pro back to give it a whirl Tongue.

David
1. NUC6i5SYH running ROON ROCK > ROON/AIR > Ethernet > Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity> Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers,
or, as alternative, 
2. Wyred4Sound MS-2 Server, Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity, Theta Jade CD Transport, Pure 702ES Tuner, Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers, misc cables

UK
(04-Dec-2017, 20:44)ozthepoz Wrote: Well my 250 Pro arrived back today, sporting a very smart new copper derriere. Was icy cold when it came out of the UPS truck, so I let it warm up for a bit before connecting it all up. New software went on with no trouble, and a slightly tweaked config installed for good measure.

Hi ozthepoz,

Since you have the Melco, I am very curious about the listening impression and performance of using LAN vs USB. Do let us know when you get more listening mileage with both configurations.
440 Pro, Acrolink 7N-DA2090 Digital cable, Plixir Elite BAC 3000 Power Conditioner, Plixir The Statement Balanced Power Cord
Rega RP10, Melco N1-S38, Melco S100 Audiophile Dataswitch, ADOT MC01, Diva Audio & 7N-4030 Leggenda Power Cords, Plixir BDC LPS, Habst Ultra III USB cable, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Acrolink 7N-DA2090 AES/EBU cable, Mutec REF 10, Habst Digital BNC cable
Vivid Giya G4, Acrolink 7N-S1400 Leggenda Speaker cables
PSI AVAA C20 Active Bass Trap
bFly-audio Master, Cube, b.Disc Absorbers
Artnovion Andrea Absorbers
Received my CI upgraded D220 back today. It has been playing for a few hours now and I had a first listening test. Definitely a different sound then before. Voices seem more clearer as goes for the overall sound. Soundstage seems to be a bit more narrow then I can recall from before the upgrade though. Currious if this changes when it has been playing a bit longer. Also expect a lot of software release over the coming period that may improve things.

A very nice welcome is that the volume is now displayed in Roon!
Devialet 220 Expert Pro CI | Sonus Faber Olympica II | Crystal cable speaker cables, interlink and power cables | ROON Rock on Intel NUC | Netherlands
(05-Dec-2017, 22:10)iamwappie Wrote: Received my CI upgraded D220 back today. It has been playing for a few hours now and I had  first listening test. Definitely a different sound then before. Voice seem more clearer as goes for the overall sound. Soundstage seems to be a bit more narrow then I can recall from before the upgrade though. Currious if this changes when it has been playing a bit longer. Also expect a lot of software release over the coming period that may improve things.

I very nice welcome is that the volume is now displayed in Roon!

Interesting point about the soundstage; I thought the previous firmware version really broadened the sound, to the point it was almost too wide.

I think now the soundstage is more accurate - still plenty going on at the fringes, but easier to place the voice.

Agree with you about the vocals though, they definitely seem clearer (and they were pretty good before the upgrade).
Devialet 1000 Pro. Martin Logan Montis, Michell Gyrodec, Melco N1ZH, Mutec MC3+ USB
What actually causes a wide or narrow soundstage apart from the speakers? Is it alignement in timing between the speakers?
Devialet 220 Expert Pro CI | Sonus Faber Olympica II | Crystal cable speaker cables, interlink and power cables | ROON Rock on Intel NUC | Netherlands
Hi All,

Although I seem to be one of the first to get the CI Pro back, I haven't been listening too much and certainly not with a calm, attentive ear. But I wanted to contribute a few thoughts.

I don't know really how to describe it, or indeed, if it is true, but my wife and I both think there is a different level of .... clarity? I think that the posters above me report similar reactions. I've listened with the modded Sonos:CONNECT though coax, and streaming from iTunes on my iMac with AIR (no ROON or anything else). Generally the improvement, or change, in the presentation seems similar in both streaming sources. I'm never too attentive to soundstage, but I think that there is a slightly greater sense of scale, or size, or... it is a bigger ball of sound. Maybe the elements are .... oh crap, I don't know. Oz described it better than I in his recent posts.

But let me scamper out on a limb and offer this; in a small way, it seems to have brought back a bit of the old, pre-Pro midrange/ vocal range emphasis or presentation? A thin branch, I know. Maybe just a twig. But still the improved separation and clarity and ease that the Pro upgrade delivered. On my system, I'd say the sound is a notch closer to 'Magico', but I don't have any sense of it being analytical or digital- that is something I'm often listening for. Still sounds very natural and nothing like, say, Hegel (which I find has a bit of an industrial sound). The lost recordings from Devialet, sound just luscious, live and tangible. (There, now I've got some suitable silliness going).

Air does drop out from time to time. The computer seems to switch from using AIR as an output to Computer. I change it back and it seems fine. Maybe I'm going off-topic there.
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
(05-Dec-2017, 22:54)Damon Wrote: Hi All,

Although I seem to be one of the first to get the CI Pro back, I haven't been listening too much and certainly not with a calm, attentive ear. But I wanted to contribute a few thoughts.

I don't know really how to describe it, or indeed, if it is true, but my wife and I both think there is a different level of .... clarity? I think that the posters above me report similar reactions. I've listened with the modded Sonos:CONNECT though coax, and streaming from iTunes on my iMac with AIR (no ROON or anything else). Generally the improvement, or change, in the presentation seems similar in both streaming sources. I'm never too attentive to soundstage, but I think that there  is a slightly greater sense of scale, or size, or... it is a bigger ball of sound. Maybe the elements are .... oh crap, I don't know. Oz described it better than I in his recent posts.

But let me scamper out on a limb and offer this; in a small way, it seems to have brought back a bit of the old, pre-Pro midrange/ vocal range emphasis or presentation? A thin branch, I know. Maybe just a twig. But still the improved separation and clarity and ease that the Pro upgrade delivered. On my system, I'd say the sound is a notch closer to 'Magico', but I don't have any sense of it being analytical or digital- that is something I'm often listening for. Still sounds very natural and nothing like, say, Hegel (which I find has a bit of an industrial sound). The lost recordings from Devialet, sound just luscious, live and tangible. (There, now I've got some suitable silliness going).

Air does drop out from time to time. The computer seems to switch from using AIR as an output to Computer. I change it back and it seems fine. Maybe I'm going off-topic there.
Fitting review language from a Landscape Architect; a branch, out on a limb, a thin branch, a twig..... ;-)  
Ours finally arrived today so early days but I second your observations...a mid-range delicacy and definition apparent at low volume levels...greater bass articulation. Do agree with Ozthepoz, it does seem to have a power boost...this was my thought as well before reading your comments.
Looking forward to some more dedicated listening.
Thanks Wdw. Glad that you finally received your 440.... Interesting also that you feel there is a change in the midrange... your description is simpler and better than mine, though a bit lacking in horticultural references. If I watched hockey, I might have used the 'thin ice' analogy.

I had not thought of the change in terms of a power boost, but I also felt this am that things seems a bit more 'at ease' at slightly higher volumes. Anyhow, I'll have to get a ROON or other software demo, but so far, it really does sound good. and I think, better than before.
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
(05-Dec-2017, 22:33)iamwappie Wrote: What actually causes a wide or narrow soundstage apart from the speakers? Is it alignement in timing between the speakers?

I'm not sure, tbh. I've always assumed that it has something to do with the amp preserving the characteristics of the way the music was originally recorded, but it must have something to do with timing I guess.