Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What is your all time favorite song/album?
Can i dare ask this question?

I know it is a really tough one, but it should be fun and i am sure it will help many of us to discover new "old" gems Smile

for me the best song of all time would "Long After You're Gone" By Chris Jones, a close second would be "Nothing To Fear" by Chris Rea

For Albums, i guess it would be "Wish You Where Here", Pink Floyd
Aurender X100L / Transrotor Crescendo TT / Denon DCD1520 / Macbook Pro >> D400 >> Martin Logan Montis
amabrok's system - Latest update (May 2015, Page 11, Post #109)

Dubai, UAE
Album: "The Yes Album" Yes

Song: "Sussex Carol" Choir of Kings College Cambridge
Innuos Statement 2TB SSD with Next-Gen PSU (with Roon lifetime)
MacBook Pro (with Air)
Draytek Vigor 2860v-Plus/Devialet Original d'Atelier CI Nos. 54A&B/Magico M3 pair
Shunyata cables (digital/interconnect/loudspeaker/power)/Shunyata power units (Triton/Typhon)

Dialog/Phantom Gold/Tree pair
Missing Link cables (power)
England
Too hard to answer I think. For a start. I'd need to decide if the Prodigy's "Experience" is a better album than Bowie's "Diamond Dogs" or "Hunky Dory". Too hard! It's a bid like deciding if a Ferrari is better than a Rolls Royce, or if wine is better than a decent beer. (I'd go for the Ferrari, a decent red after I'd parked it safely, still not sure about the music though)
In my case it depends on the mood I am in.
One day it may be the Glen Gould Goldberg Variations, another Zappa's Hot Rats, Another Miles Davis' Bitches Brew, another almost any of the Puccini Opera live recordings I have.
Favourite song?
non-classical "Farewell, farewell" the irreplaceable Sandy Denny Fairport Convention.
Classical Mahler "Wenn dein Mutterlein tritt zur Tur herein" one of the Kindertotenlieder sung by Kathleen Ferrier. One doesn't need a hifi to be totally overcome by this performance IMHO.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

x2 for "Wish You Were Here" by Pink Floyd
As a schoolboy I was lucky enough to save enough money & see them quite a number of times in the 70's

"Protection" by Massive Attack is close second; I love the big dynamics and vocals (Tracey Thorn I think)
(21-Nov-2014, 09:26)krass Wrote: "Protection" by Massive Attack is close second; I love the big dynamics and vocals (Tracey Thorn I think)

Yes! A collaboration with Tracey Thorn. Also features samples taken from a James Brown track.

An update, I was actually listening to this tonight, I must say, it has just about the strangest bass I have ever heard!
(21-Nov-2014, 09:26)krass Wrote: x2 for "Wish You Were Here" by Pink Floyd

for me it always felt as if their music especially on this album (and in particular Shine On You Crazy Diamond Part II) is an extraterrestrial form of communication Smile
Aurender X100L / Transrotor Crescendo TT / Denon DCD1520 / Macbook Pro >> D400 >> Martin Logan Montis
amabrok's system - Latest update (May 2015, Page 11, Post #109)

Dubai, UAE
Mile - Richard Buckner (Song)
Wrong-Eyed Jesus - Jim White (album)

Today, anyway. Might be something completely different if you asked me next week.

(19-Nov-2014, 21:43)Confused Wrote: Too hard to answer I think. For a start. I'd need to decide if the Prodigy's "Experience" is a better album than Bowie's "Diamond Dogs" or "Hunky Dory". Too hard! It's a bid like deciding if a Ferrari is better than a Rolls Royce, or if wine is better than a decent beer. (I'd go for the Ferrari, a decent red after I'd parked it safely, still not sure about the music though)

Hunky Dory is the best of those three albums imo.

Also, RR and beer - but not together Smile
Devialet 1000 Pro. Martin Logan Montis, Michell Gyrodec, Melco N1ZH, Mutec MC3+ USB
This is Desert Island Discs, no? (Apologies to non-UK residents who may be unfamiliar with the show.)

For rock/pop my album choice would be Springsteen, Born to Run, and my track would be Thunder Road off the same album.

My classical desert island pick would be Janacek's From the House of the Dead (the Mackerras recording obvs).

Matt

Sonos Connect (W4S) > DSpeaker Antimode 2.0 > Sanders Magtech > Martin Logan Montis
Sonos Connect (W4S) > Devialet 200 > Vivid V1.5
Silver Phantoms (just the two)
London