Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
220 Pro sub woofer SAM on or off?
I have been setting up an active sub woofer to work with my 220 Pro and Harbeth M30.1 speakers.

I have set up the pre out on settings to high pass at 50 Hz for the M30.1’s.

The active sub woofer has its own crossover and I’m feeding the low level input a full range mono signal from the pre out on the Devialet.

Before I tried the sub woofer I used SAM at 35% with the Harbeths alone.

My question is should I use SAM on or off with the subwoofer?

If I play music with SAM on is the SAM compensated signal fed only to the main speakers, or is the SAM compensated signal being fed to the sub as well?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Roon Rock, Devialet 220 pro CI, Palmer 2.5 Turntable, AT OC9MLii, Classic Audio MC Pro Phono and Harbeth SHL5 Plus
I’m pretty sure that SAM is applied only to the speakers, never to a line level output nor to a digital output.

Jean-Marie
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France
I would not filter the main speaker as this negatively affects the whole music signal. The 30.1 goes only down to 50Hz. Set SAM to 0% and the lowpass for the sub to something between 40 and 60 Hz.
SAM will not effect the sub as Jean-Marie already said. Try if SAM set to 0% is doing good things at all, otherwise leave it off.
(25-Dec-2017, 12:18)Vivialet Wrote: I would not filter the main speaker as this negatively affects the whole music signal. The 30.1 goes only down to 50Hz. Set SAM to 0% and the lowpass for the sub to something between 40 and 60 Hz.
SAM will not effect the sub as Jean-Marie already said. Try if SAM set to 0% is doing good things at all, otherwise leave it off.

Thanks for the replies. I have set the M30.1’s back to full range in the configuration. I still have the sub output at full range as the plate amplifier has an annoying standby function after no signal for one minute.

If there is no bass content when the sub goes into standby it makes an annoying farting noise!

Roon Rock, Devialet 220 pro CI, Palmer 2.5 Turntable, AT OC9MLii, Classic Audio MC Pro Phono and Harbeth SHL5 Plus
(25-Dec-2017, 14:46)disarmamant Wrote:
(25-Dec-2017, 12:18)Vivialet Wrote: I would not filter the main speaker as this negatively affects the whole music signal. The 30.1 goes only down to 50Hz. Set SAM to 0% and the lowpass for the sub to something between 40 and 60 Hz.

Thanks for the replies. I have set the M30.1’s back to full range in the configuration. I still have the sub output at full range as the plate amplifier has an annoying standby function after no signal for one minute.

If there is no bass content when the sub goes into standby it makes an annoying farting noise!

My missus does that when she goes into standby mode in bed. I find that a swift kick up the Khyber usually solves the problem.
Sorry for the bad joke. Too much Christmas booze!
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
(25-Dec-2017, 16:06)Axel Wrote: My missus does that when she goes into standby mode in bed.