Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Devialet D200 + Triangle Magellan Concerto SW1
Hello,

Does anybody have experience with Triangle Magellan Concerto (first version) driven by a Devialet?
I have a good deal on a pair of those but I understand they are difficult to drive.
(28-Dec-2017, 10:46)Kuky Wrote: Hello,

Does anybody have experience with Triangle Magellan Concerto (first version) driven by a Devialet?
I have a good deal on a pair of those but I understand they are difficult to drive.

Reply to myself, maybe is of interest to somebody.

D200 can't drive Cello / Quatour / Concerto from Triangle Magellan line. Spent a few hours at the Triangle dealer today with my D200.

Maximum it could drive was Delta from Signature line, possibly it can drive the Alpha also but was in a hurry and did not have time to test it.

Also, using the same Delta Signature speakers we listened to same music on the following:

1) DCS Rossini Player/DAC + McIntosh C1100 Tube Preamp + McIntosh 1,2kW monos on each channel

2) Luxman d08-u SACD Player + Accuphase Integrated E-450

3) Luxman d08-u SACD Player + Devialet D200 (with Luxman DAC)

4) Luxman d08-u SACD Player + Devialet D200 (with D200 DAC)

5) DCS Rossini Player/DAC + Devialet D200 (with D200 DAC)

The D200 was far, far away in terms of SQ.
You compared the D200 with McIntosh 1.2Kw?Accuphase could drive them and D200 could not? I have no experience with Triangle at all. What was not satisfying with the D200?
What source (dcs or luxman) do you like more and why? Did you play CDs only or tried SACD on Lux?
Fanless HdPlex (HQPlayer) -> Merging Hapi -> Genelec 8351B
(29-Dec-2017, 16:42)Kuky Wrote:
(28-Dec-2017, 10:46)Kuky Wrote: Hello,

Reply to myself, maybe is of interest to somebody.

D200 can't drive Cello / Quatour / Concerto from Triangle Magellan line. Spent a few hours at the Triangle dealer today with my D200.

Maximum it could drive was Delta from Signature line, possibly it can drive the Alpha also but was in a hurry and did not have time to test it.

Also, using the same Delta Signature speakers we listened to same music on the following:

1) DCS Rossini Player/DAC + McIntosh C1100 Tube Preamp + McIntosh 1,2kW monos on each channel

2) Luxman d08-u SACD Player + Accuphase Integrated E-450

3) Luxman d08-u SACD Player + Devialet D200 (with Luxman DAC)

4) Luxman d08-u SACD Player + Devialet D200 (with D200 DAC)

5) DCS Rossini Player/DAC + Devialet D200 (with D200 DAC)

The D200 was far, far away in terms of SQ.
There is something wrong with pairing D200 and Triangle speakers. Maybe You left SD card with SAM correction from previous speakers? 
I have listened Cello with 2 x 30w tube amp, Audiomat Opera Reference, and it was beatiful. Hardly Audiomat has greater control with Cello than D200.
Melco N1A, Valhalla Pow.C.-FTA usb,-D200,Chord Sarum Super Aray Pow.C.-Chord Sarum T Speaker C.(Nordost Frey2)-Harbeth 40.2, (Magnepan 3.7).
(30-Dec-2017, 12:25)Drioannis Wrote: You compared the D200 with McIntosh 1.2Kw?Accuphase could drive them and D200 could not? I have no experience with Triangle at all. What was not satisfying with the D200?

You cannot compare. The price difference is too big. I think DCS Rossini&Clock + McIntosh C1100 + 2 x  McIntosh 1,2kw goes around 85,000 EUR.
This was the reference system the dealer was using to demo different speakers.
The sound was in a different league but is understandable when you compare prices: control, musicality, dynamics (omg the dynamics), huge soundstage, detail and the list goes on. It was like raising not one veil, more like 3 veils compared to D200.

I used the Accuphase only with Delta but this are 120W and 8 ohms so it was no problem.
(30-Dec-2017, 13:14)maxijazz Wrote: What source (dcs or luxman) do you like more and why? Did you play CDs only or tried SACD on Lux?

Only CDs. If I take the Luxman as reference 100/100 the Rossini was 80/100 and D200 was 55/100.

The Luxman was more refined and more musical, it was no contest. Even the dealer liked it more. It is funny because I think Rossini is double the price but Luxman was better.
(01-Jan-2018, 16:11)libero Wrote: There is something wrong with pairing D200 and Triangle speakers. Maybe You left SD card with SAM correction from previous speakers? 
I have listened Cello with 2 x 30w tube amp, Audiomat Opera Reference, and it was beatiful. Hardly Audiomat has greater control with Cello than D200.

The dealer was trying to sell me a pair of Triangle Magellan Quatour (14,000 EUR price list). They were used for demos but otherwise like new and with warranty. Also at a very very special price fore me.
On his ref system they sounded PHENOMENAL. When playing them quite loudly I noticed on the McIntosh that the peak power was never more than 120W. So I assumed that my D200 could drive them if it doesn't go more than 120W. But I don't know much about amplifiers and I was wrong.

The next day when I came with my D200 the sound was thin and saturated when playing the Quatour. It was a disaster. Also on Cello (but to a lesser extent) and Concerto. It recovered on the Delta.
The dealer told me that watts don't matter so much, it is the current that the amplifier can output which is the most important. I don't know if it is correct or not but I know what I heard.
SAM was not used.

Anyway those Quatour I have to have them. Already phoned the dealer to make me an offer for a MA9000. The D200 will have a short life in my house.
(04-Jan-2018, 14:55)I’m Kuky Wrote:
(01-Jan-2018, 16:11)libero Wrote: There is something wrong with pairing D200 and Triangle speakers. Maybe You left SD card with SAM correction from previous speakers? 

The dealer was trying to sell me a pair of Triangle Magellan Quatour (14,000 EUR price list). They were used for demos but otherwise like new and with warranty. Also at very very special price fore me.
On his ref system they sounded PHENOMENAL. When playing them quite loudly I noticed on the McIntosh that the peak power was never more than 120W. So I assumed that my D200 could drive them if it doesn't go more than 120W. But I don't know much about amplifiers and I was wrong.

The next day when I came with my D200 the sound was thin and saturated when playing the Quatour. It was a disaster. Also on Cello (but to a lesser extent) and Concerto. It recovered on the Delta.
The dealer told me that watts don't matter so much, it is the current that the amplifier can output which is the most important. I don't know if it is correct or not but I know what I heard.
SAM was not used.

Anyway those Quatour I have to have them. Already phone the dealer to make me an offer for a MA9000. The D200 will have a short life in my house.

If the peak power you noticed was using the nice VUMeters that McIntosh is famous for, since they probably have an integration time of 300ms which is the standard, the True Peak power can easily be 13dB to 16dB higher!

So if you tried to achieve the same loudness no wonder than the D200 was struggling. You would have needed a D1000. 

Jean-Marie

Jean-Marie
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France
@Jean-Marie . That can explain it, thank you very much

But why needed a D1000? Is not a D400 enough?

Actually I searched quite a lot but never found how much Watts can the D400 output at 8 ohms. Devialet just says 400W at 6 ohms, but doesn't say any numbers for 8 ohms or for 4 ohms.