Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
2 Dialogs
Hi Everyone,
I want to add a second dialog so that I can have better coverage in my house for my phantoms and add another input to my setup... anyone try this?  Any tips?

Thanks
6 x Phantom Gold, 3 x Phantom Silver, 2 x Phantom Classic, 9 x Phantom Reactor 900, Symetrix Radius AEC-2, 2 x JBL Synthesis SDP-55, Dante
(02-Jan-2018, 01:31)njaiswal Wrote: Hi Everyone,
I want to add a second dialog so that I can have better coverage in my house for my phantoms and add another input to my setup... anyone try this?  Any tips?

Thanks

I do not think it would make sense to add a second dialog to any setup. In theory the Dialog is made to serve to up to 22 Phantoms. When this limit is not reached one Dialog is sufficient. For more professional setups contact Devialet. They offer custom solutions for large installations.
When you want to extend your listening range you need to extend the network. The build-in PLC should be able to spread over the entire house given that the power installation is transformer free and made for PLC transmission. K4680 has proposed some hardware that bridges different phase branches in his post here. This is mainly useful in Europe or countries where electricity is distributed with 3 phases.
Alternatively, use ethernet for your entire network and distribution to Phantoms. Like that you can have the entire network under control and with low latencies, what the Phantom-Dialog system requires.
When you need more physical inputs (through optical path), you can buy more Phantoms. Like that you can also increase the number of BT sources and create „input satellites‘ distributed over your place. If you need more and more diverse inputs at a single location I would recommend you to buy a good preamp with ADC and optical output that can be connected to a Phantom.
(03-Jan-2018, 07:31)streamy Wrote:

Thanks

I do not think it would make sense to add a second dialog to any setup. In theory the Dialog is made to serve to up to 22 Phantoms. When this limit is not reached one Dialog is sufficient. For more professional setups contact Devialet. They offer custom solutions for large installations.
When you want to extend your listening range you need to extend the network. The build-in PLC should be able to spread over the entire house given that the power installation is transformer free and made for PLC transmission. K4680 has proposed some hardware that bridges different phase branches in his post here. This is mainly useful in Europe or countries where electricity is distributed with 3 phases.
Alternatively, use ethernet for your entire network and distribution to Phantoms. Like that you can have the entire network under control and with low latencies, what the Phantom-Dialog system requires.
When you need more physical inputs (through optical path), you can buy more Phantoms. Like that you can also increase the number of BT sources and create „input satellites‘ distributed over your place. If you need more and more diverse inputs at a single location I would recommend you to buy a good preamp with ADC and optical output that can be connected to a Phantom.

Hi
I have tried this in the past.. and it is possible.. but required a good competency in networking..
Both dialogs need to be on two separate sub domains...of your home network...
But you will also need two devices (each on separate sub domains) to be able to control the zones in those dialog...I did control one zone on my iPhone and the second zone on my iPad... 
Very complicated but doable...
I ended up rewiring my house with cat7 Ethernet cables and all my five Phantoms and dialog  are wired to my mikrotik router... and no problem at all so far ... two years on...
If you have issue with WiFi coverage.. then get yourself an Access point with second Ethernet port to extend your network.. ubiquiti ap are good... or just run the cable in the house...and conceale them..
Good luck
 Angenet. 
  5 Silver Phantoms (2 stereo and 3 solo in 3 rooms). 4 Raspberry Pi 3b with Hifiberry digi + boards connected to four Phantoms. 1 Dialog with Airplay, Roon Lifetime Membership for perfect group play. Qobuz sublime, Tidal Hifi,  1 NAS Qnap tS-210 Pro. Location: West Yorkshire, UK.
(09-Jan-2018, 00:47)angenet Wrote:
(03-Jan-2018, 07:31)streamy Wrote:

Thanks

Hi
I have tried this in the past.. and it is possible.. but required a good competency in networking..
Both dialogs need to be on two separate sub domains...of your home network...
But you will also need two devices (each on separate sub domains) to be able to control the zones in those dialog...I did control one zone on my iPhone and the second zone on my iPad... 
Very complicated but doable...
I ended up rewiring my house with cat7 Ethernet cables and all my five Phantoms and dialog  are wired to my mikrotik router... and no problem at all so far ... two years on...
If you have issue with WiFi coverage.. then get yourself an Access point  with second Ethernet port to extend your network.. ubiquiti ap are good... or just run the cable in the house...and conceale them..
Good luck

Thanks for the suggestion.  I have all of my equipment located in a rack in my basement.  And wanted to add my AV processor as another input because I'm adding a projector to my living room and wanted to use a pair of phantoms to drive the audio for the space.  Hmmm... I will need to think about this further.
6 x Phantom Gold, 3 x Phantom Silver, 2 x Phantom Classic, 9 x Phantom Reactor 900, Symetrix Radius AEC-2, 2 x JBL Synthesis SDP-55, Dante
Quick update. I got my second dialog up and running and attached my 2 white phantoms to it. In order to get it functioning with my first dialog and my 2 gold phantoms, I used the suggestion streamy. So on my network I now have 3 VLANS:
VLAN1: default LAN
VLAN10: WAN
VLAN15: Devialet-LivingRoom

Additionally, I setup another VLAN on my router (pfsense) to allow for VLAN15 to access the internet. And lastly, I setup VLAN15 on my wireless controller and a new SSID to allow me to control the second dialog via spark.

So far the only glitch I experience is Spark not updating correctly when I switch between my primary SSID and my new SSID. Otherwise the setup is working flawlessly. Additionally, on this configuration I decided to connect everything via ethernet to ensure there were no dropouts since its being used in conjunction with my new projector. :-)

WAF is astonishingly high as well. :-)
(17-Mar-2018, 14:50)njaiswal Wrote: Quick update.  I got my second dialog up and running and attached my 2 white phantoms to it.  In order to get it functioning with my first dialog and my 2 gold phantoms, I used the suggestion streamy.  So on my network I now have 3 VLANS:
VLAN1: default LAN
VLAN10: WAN
VLAN15: Devialet-LivingRoom

Additionally, I setup another VLAN on my router (pfsense) to allow for VLAN15 to access the internet.  And lastly, I setup VLAN15 on my wireless controller and a new SSID to allow me to control the second dialog via spark.  

So far the only glitch I experience is Spark not updating correctly when I switch between my primary SSID and my new SSID.  Otherwise the setup is working flawlessly.  Additionally, on this configuration I decided to connect everything via ethernet to ensure there were no dropouts since its being used in conjunction with my new projector. :-)

WAF is astonishingly high as well.  :-)
Here are a couple of pics
https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZFPfKQgfu4V1RMHI2
[/url][url=https://photos.app.goo.gl/EEs5nfS7DYdM7KxF2]https://photos.app.goo.gl/EEs5nfS7DYdM7KxF2