Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
iPad/iPhone as a music server (fantastic SQ)
Hello Devialet chatters,

I have been very satisfied with SQ of AIR ethernet using Amarra/Audirvana Plus.  I like AIR ethernet using Mac mini while I also have Melco N1A.  The other day, I tried iPad as a music server and found the sound quality is very good.  It is better than AIR ethernet using Amarra/Audirvana.

In the past, storage size of iPad/iPhone was an issue for storing all the music library.  Now that iPad with 512GB storage can be purchased less than USD1000, iPad can be a good battery-driven music server.  There seems to be few discussions about iPad/iPhone music server at least recently and I would like to hear your thoughts.

Is anyone using iPad/iPhone music server?

Umetaro
Mac Mini Late 2012(Amarra Symphony/Audirvana)/DELA N1A Mk1 - [AIR Ethernet] -  Devialet 800 (Power Cable - AET HIN AC EVD) - [Speaker Cable - Nanotec Systems SP♯79MK2] - Wilson Audio Sasha
Hi

How are you using the iPad?

The only way I can see is using the camera connection kit and USB.

Could be interesting now Roon will play to iOS endpoints?

Cheers

Chris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Roon/RAAT - Dev 250 Pro - AQ Castle Rock - SF Olympica ii
(04-Jan-2018, 10:47)Chris Marshall Wrote: Hi

Cheers

Chris

Chris,

When using Devialet iOS remote, you can select source under volume section.   Tap source (Ethernet, USB,  AES/EBU or whatever) and select "My Music."   Now you can stream your choice of music from your iPad/iPhone to Devialet using AIR.  Camera connection kit is not required.  Please try and let me know what you think.

Best regards,
Umetaro
Mac Mini Late 2012(Amarra Symphony/Audirvana)/DELA N1A Mk1 - [AIR Ethernet] -  Devialet 800 (Power Cable - AET HIN AC EVD) - [Speaker Cable - Nanotec Systems SP♯79MK2] - Wilson Audio Sasha
I remember back when Absolute Sounds were importing the D-Premier, and soon after I bought my first one, they were doing a demonstration at Oxford Audio.
Whilst Ricardo was playing a file from his phone one person attending the demo was heard to say how much better digital was with high res. He had assumed he was listening to the expensive server when in fact it was a ripped CD from a phone sounding splendid.
I enjoy music this way from time to time still.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

(04-Jan-2018, 13:31)Umetaro Wrote:
(04-Jan-2018, 10:47)Chris Marshall Wrote: Hi

Cheers

Chris

Chris,

When using Devialet iOS remote, you can select source under volume section.   Tap source (Ethernet, USB,  AES/EBU or whatever) and select "My Music."   Now you can stream your choice of music from your iPad/iPhone to Devialet using AIR.  Camera connection kit is not required.  Please try and let me know what you think.

Best regards,
Umetaro

Ah, I see.  I will have a listen.
Roon/RAAT - Dev 250 Pro - AQ Castle Rock - SF Olympica ii
(04-Jan-2018, 16:00)f1eng Wrote: I remember back when Absolute Sounds were importing the D-Premier, and soon after I bought my first one, they were doing a demonstration at Oxford Audio.
Whilst Ricardo was playing a file from his phone one person attending the demo was heard to say how much better digital was with high res. He had assumed he was listening to the expensive server when in fact it was a ripped CD from a phone sounding splendid.
I enjoy music this way from time to time still.

f1eng,

Thanks for your comment.  When D240 was launched in 2013, Devialet had a new product event in Tokyo.  They used iPhone to stream music to Devialet and impressed the audience.  However, iPhone only had small storage at the time and no one took it seriously as a main music server.  Now with larger storage iPad available, this could be a primary music server.  I really like the sound quality.