Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Users of the AES/EBU input and cables
There is a note on a possible approach here:

http://www.rane.com/pdf/ranenotes/Interf..._SPDIF.pdf

More interesting is the Blue Jeans note:

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/articles/75ohmrca.htm

As Pim says, pertinent issues are those of attenuation and interference from outside (I guess neither should be a problem) but the shortcomings of the impedance mismatch might be usefully explained, if anyone knows.
Innuos Statement 2TB SSD with Next-Gen PSU (with Roon lifetime)
MacBook Pro (with Air)
Draytek Vigor 2860v-Plus/Devialet Original d'Atelier CI Nos. 54A&B/Magico M3 pair
Shunyata cables (digital/interconnect/loudspeaker/power)/Shunyata power units (Triton/Typhon)

Dialog/Phantom Gold/Tree pair
Missing Link cables (power)
England
(24-Nov-2014, 02:01)IanG-UK Wrote: There is a note on a possible approach here:

http://www.rane.com/pdf/ranenotes/Interf..._SPDIF.pdf

More interesting is the Blue Jeans note:

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/articles/75ohmrca.htm

As Pim says, pertinent issues are those of attenuation and interference from outside (I guess neither should be a problem) but the shortcomings of the impedance mismatch might be usefully explained, if anyone knows.

Ian,

Thanks for the supplied links! For me this was a decider. In a mix of views and information I'll drop the 110 ohm lead and i will use my 75 ohm cable but as reported before I will use a Lundahl transformer inside the Neutrik XLR meaning 75/110 conversion will be at the plug and not on the cable. Despite Devialets view on this I feel this is better than just running a 110 ohm cable with a so-so 75 ohm signal into the 110 transformer in the Dev.

Will report back when done!

Tanks/Mike
Ex D400 Now Aavik U-300/Feickert Woodpecker2-Kuzma 4P-Kondo silver-Benz LPS-Teddy Pardo PSU/Naim Unitiserve-Teddy Pardo PSU/SF Guarneri Homage/Whole system decoupled by Ansuz DTC/Cables from Ansuz, DYI and other commercial/Dedicated mains and spur-Lampizator SILK
Hey Mike - were you able to test this approach to see if it sounded any different?

The Crystal Cable is a tad too short for me, so I am looking at my options for a longer cable. This happens to be *the only* thread with a meaningful discussion on the use of RCA-RCA vs. RCA-Balanced (XLR or AES/EBU, whichever you'd like to call it) cables.

Thanks!
kj
(04-Mar-2015, 22:02)absolutk Wrote: Hey Mike - were you able to test this approach to see if it sounded any different?

The Crystal Cable is a tad too short for me, so I am looking at my options for a longer cable. This happens to be *the only* thread with a meaningful discussion on the use of RCA-RCA vs. RCA-Balanced (XLR or AES/EBU, whichever you'd like to call it) cables.

Thanks!
kj

Hi,

I think I reported this elsewhere but in conclusion I did not hear any difference between RCA-Lundahl-XLR and RCA-XLR both with 75 ohm cable. But RCA-XLR sounds better than RCA-RCA. Conclusion is that the XLR dig input is better than RCA.

/Mike
Ex D400 Now Aavik U-300/Feickert Woodpecker2-Kuzma 4P-Kondo silver-Benz LPS-Teddy Pardo PSU/Naim Unitiserve-Teddy Pardo PSU/SF Guarneri Homage/Whole system decoupled by Ansuz DTC/Cables from Ansuz, DYI and other commercial/Dedicated mains and spur-Lampizator SILK
(05-Mar-2015, 23:45) pid=\11293' Wrote:Hi,

I think I reported this elsewhere but in conclusion I did not hear any difference between RCA-Lundahl-XLR and RCA-XLR both with 75 ohm cable. But RCA-XLR sounds better than RCA-RCA. Conclusion is that the XLR dig input is better than RCA.

/Mike

Thanks Mike!

And any chance you had the opportunity to test a 75 ohm cable vs a 110 ohm one (either via an adapter or just the native cable impedance)? XLR/AES natively uses 110 ohms, but I've heard those references to Thierry's response that says it has a transformer - that doesn't rhyme in my head. 

Thanks!
Devialet 1000Pro CI + Sonus Faber Cremona Auditor M
(06-Mar-2015, 01:30)absolutk Wrote:
(05-Mar-2015, 23:45)pid=\11293 Wrote:Hi,

/Mike

Thanks Mike!

And any chance you had the opportunity to test a 75 ohm cable vs a 110 ohm one (either via an adapter or just the native cable impedance)? XLR/AES natively uses 110 ohms, but I've heard those references to Thierry's response that says it has a transformer - that doesn't rhyme in my head. 

Thanks!

The XLR input is directly hooked to a transformer on the motherboard, according to Thierry. That it self may explain why I hear no difference between Lundahl noLundahl. 
One thing I noticed, if making your own cable, is that the 'chassie' contact on the XLR plug should not be hooked up with the ground pin, I tested and for sure it sounds better without, but if connected it does not harm anything at least.

/Mike
Ah, that makes complete sense. Thank you Mike! I'll experiment with a few options too. It's a bit annoying that Dev has no official position on this.
Devialet 1000Pro CI + Sonus Faber Cremona Auditor M
(20-Nov-2014, 22:59)Mikeeo Wrote: Hi,

I bring this message from the Devialet 400 & 800 forum as I thought it would be of interest to you who would like to connect your mono units or dig signal in to the AES/EBU input.

From my conversation with Thierry at Devialet:

"News flash!

Just had a talk to Thierry about the linking cable and the RCA--XLR connection between Master and Companion.

There is no setting for the AES/EBU input not even when configured for linking RCA--XLR. The AES/EBU input is strictly 110 ohm at all times.

So I asked Thierry how this could work then!

He says (which I didn't manage to read on the homepage) that when using the RCA--XLR link the linking cable should be 110 ohms and not 75!!! As the system will recognize the impedance of the cable. And this goes for all of us that would like to use the AES/EBU for a streaming input on the Master as well ie use a 110 ohm cable.
Connection is the 'semi-balanced' way as schematically showed on Devs homepage.

I told him about the Audioprana cables and the 75/110 ohm transformation. Thierry said it would not be a problem but less good as their own solution due to adding another transformer in the line of signal.

Strange that they do not mentioning this?

Well, I am ordering some 110 ohm diy cable. Any suggestions for a good one?

Cheers/Mike"

Bryston digital cables are very good for the money!

https://store.bryston.com/digital-audio-cables.html
(30-Mar-2015, 18:31)samurai7595 Wrote: Bryston digital cables are very good for the money!

Sounds nice but I do not see the config I would like BNC to XL or RCA to XLR. Is it possible to custom order? Otherwise look at Cabledyne were I got my last cable from. 

/Mike
(30-Mar-2015, 18:47)Mikeeo Wrote:
(30-Mar-2015, 18:31)samurai7595 Wrote: Bryston digital cables are very good for the money!

Sounds nice but I do not see the config I would like BNC to XL or RCA to XLR. Is it possible to custom order? Otherwise look at Cabledyne were I got my last cable from. 

/Mike

Maybe have a look at The Cable Company:
http://www.thecableco.com/category.aspx?cid=433