Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roon subscription coming to an end.
I have had a Roon trial and it is running out.
My inclination is not to continue.
I don't use Tidal so is there anything else I may have missed which makes Roon a must-have?
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

The one feature that may be of interest is the ROON ROCK OS offered free of charge to ROON users. The OS is a small footprint linux based operating system built to run ROON only and runs on a tiny Intel NUC with a 32GB M.2 SSD drive for the OS.
(ROON offers link to Amazon with recommended hardware choices)
If you are inclined to believe that minimizing the software overhead and hardware demands is a net positive for music servers this ROCK is an attractive and inexpensive choice. It is my experience that we can also expect Roon to continually refine the OS overtime.
(05-Jan-2018, 18:09)f1eng Wrote: I have had a Roon trial and it is running out.
My inclination is not to continue.
I don't use Tidal so is there anything else I may have missed which makes Roon a must-have?
Same for me, Roon was supplying pretty good background information for some rock but quite lacking in less mainstream music. I listen a lot to pre classical music and contemporary (classical) music and there is not much. That is also the reason I am not interested in Tidal.
Also I am not using any device which benefits of Rock.
The integration with tidal, and my own collection was the killer feature for me, without that it's just another way of playing things, an expensive way at that. But with the integration I love it, I find myself exploring music I don't know, with just a streaming service it seems hard to know where to start given access to so much music, the seed of your existing music collection plus the metadata seems to be the key way in to almost unlimited music.
Roon, Rega P9 + Dynavector XX2Mk2 > 440 Pro > Sonus Faber Guarneri Evolution
I have had a Qobuz subscription for a few years so Tidal doesn't make sense.
Probably just let the trial lapse then.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

(05-Jan-2018, 20:08)f1eng Wrote: I have had a Qobuz subscription for a few years so Tidal doesn't make sense.

Fwiw, I much prefer Qobuz to Tidal and although the former have had financial problems in the past (they went into receivership in 2015), Tidal are also reportedly running short of money:

https://www.engadget.com/2017/12/13/tida...l-trouble/

Tidal's reported 1.2M subscriber base is 10x larger than figures i've seen for Qobuz..
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)
(05-Jan-2018, 20:08)f1eng Wrote: I have had a Qobuz subscription for a few years so Tidal doesn't make sense.

I've tried Tidal twice (actually Wimp first, before it was re-named to Tidal), but cancelled both times within hours. I did not enjoy it at all, even with Roon integration. Roon doesn't help much with classical either and Qobuz is out of the question so I would say if you are not using any of the DSP features in Roon I'd let the trial lapse.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
I am a Roon convert - after some initial scepticism. Firstly (for a reason that may not apply in your case), the connection to my Devialet via Roon has proven to be much better than Devialet Air. Secondly, I have come to appreciate the collection management and cataloguing as well as the integration with Tidal (and yes, as a classical music lover, I would prefer it to be Qobuz). I have been able to clean up my own digital collection (around 3,500 albums and 95,000 tracks) - getting rid of duplicates, identifying corrupt tracks and systematising). However, I still use my own album titles. In addition to the Roon notes, I can also load and read album notes, libretti etc within Roon - a real boon for opera lovers in particular. I have also enjoyed the radio facility which has enlarged the scope of my listening and lead me to explore some of the forgotten treasures of my own collection - let alone what Tidal might have to offer.

Given the cost of my system of around $25,000 (which I would classify as mid range compared with what some people here appear to have) - the lifetime one off cost seemed to me a reasonable expenditure. In that sense, it seems that we are quite prepared to pay quite a bit of cash for hardware (some of it of the most esoteric kind and marginal benefit), yet expect software to be free or minimal cost - which is only possible if it is either full of ads or has a mass market - and that will never be the case with Roon.
(06-Jan-2018, 00:40)Will Wrote: I am a Roon convert - after some initial scepticism.  Firstly (for a reason that may not apply in your case), the connection to my Devialet via Roon has proven to be much better than Devialet Air.  Secondly, I have come to appreciate the collection management and cataloguing as well as the integration with Tidal (and yes, as a classical music lover, I would prefer it to be Qobuz). I have been able to clean up my own digital collection (around 3,500 albums and 95,000 tracks) - getting rid of duplicates, identifying corrupt tracks and systematising). However, I still use my own album titles.  In addition to the Roon notes,  I can also load and read album notes, libretti etc within Roon - a real boon for opera lovers in particular.  I have also enjoyed the radio facility which has enlarged the scope of my listening and lead me to explore some of the forgotten treasures of my own collection - let alone what Tidal might have to offer.

Given the cost of my system of around $25,000 (which I would classify as mid range compared with what some people here appear to have) - the lifetime one off cost seemed to me a reasonable expenditure.  In that sense, it seems that we are quite prepared to pay quite a bit of cash for hardware (some of it of the most esoteric kind and marginal benefit), yet expect software to be free or minimal cost - which is only possible if it is either full of ads or has a mass market - and that will never be the case with Roon.
Agree...we have gotten used to free or inexpensive software and the ROON pricing is a step back towards adequate compensation for a something performing good work in your life.   
Don't want to belabour my earlier post and thoughts about ROON ROCK but that kit needs to be considered as an Aurender for a tenth the price with a software that is, truly, evolving over time with some of the smartest talent around.  
The ROCK could easily be placed in a broom closet and forgotten about.  Low noise, minimal involvement with the OS and no updates that destroy operability.  I've added an SBooster to the NUC and it is stunningly good. 
Interface with the server and/or the hardware ROCK hardware by the ROON iOS app.
Well I quite agree about paying for software. I have tried loads which i have paid for, Amarra and Audirvana for example. Generally hardware is useless without good software.
Nevertheless I don't think Roon is worth its cost for me, I will stick with Audirvana and Qobuz.
Oxfordshire