Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
220 power supply
Hi, how good is the power supply in the experts, can they double their output into a 4 ohm speaker?
Power ratings for the Devialet are given at 6 ohms, so will definitely not double. They could only double if specs were given for 8ohms.
Win10/HQPlayer / Roon - Uptone Audio Etherregen switch / SOtM-SMS-200 ultra with clock input - Mutec REF 10 clock for the switch and the streamer - Denafrips GAIA DCC - Devialet D800 - YG Acoustics Carmel - Dual Elac SUB-2090 
power supplies: Uptone JS-2, SOtM SPS-500
As impedance falls power usually goes up indicating a stiff power supply, usually I thought.
There are some clues in this thread:

https://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?...light=640w
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
Interesting read, thanks.
Dear readers,

The law of ohms is actual as always: R=V/I and of course at the same time P=V*I. (As we all know: R= resistance, V= Voltage, I= Amperage, P= power). When you understand the first lesson of physics, you understand that sound still is that magic thing were we often can't explain why something is happening or sounds good or bad. An amplifier is not a (old) 100W lamp; the watts are different at every frequency and there are infinite number of frequencies. In decimals you can always devide further.....

So the first question you can ask, but you mean to know something else. Especially the graphics in the last showthread shown by Confused says a lot. But not everything. Everybody should start with the beginning and I don't ever see such discussions about it: the 4k power needed by the Devialet is much more easi
ly delivered in an European situation then in the USA. Like the best kitchen appliances from Germany (Miele) cannot be sold in New York city because the power which the houses can be entered (the mains) are too low. (380V-20A maximum in the Netherlands, Europe when you buy it into your house; 230V-16 A standard. Almost nobody pays for the extra mains here). If you want a Devialet to sound fabulous you need a minimum of 4.000 Watts of power from the mains. Continuous and in milliseconds as well. My entrance is 230Volts by 20Ampere= 4.600 Watts. 2 times only for the music.
What (or Watt) are yours? All over USA 110V? And the rest of the world? Devialet is build in and for the Europe situation. Especially current needs extremely bulky cables (in silver-expensive). My VandenHull mains cable costs 420 euro pro meter and that's only for 230Volts...... To reach the same effect at 110V you need more then 2 times the diameter.....

And another factor are the mains plugs: I once read on a Japanese website (Furutech) that the mains plugs in different countries can handle different powers. My conclusion is: I think that the Devialet is not the limiting factor here; the different mains inputs in the different countries are. And the investment on your mains entrance is very important with such a powerfull amplifier. It's a D class as well: switching by electronics: so the power of the amplifier is dependent on the mains. Very.

Perhaps something to think about...?
1: Atelier d'Or no.75 (1.5m. AQ RCA-XLR), Heart 2812 QuadESL.nl, Kimber 8TC, WBT, Rel StentorII, Oppo105D (surround), Vodafone Next, Quad 303.2(!Quadrepair.nl), Kef RDM1, BenQW4000i, SBooster (3x), IfiX 3x, 125 inch, Stax 507 (2x) on Stax SRM-1S, SRM D-50, all on Iso-Ac. Gaia1, 2 and 3, Kemp Isolator source and power-, Kemp QA/ SNS plugs (6x), Furutech & ALAC maincables, AQ Blizzard, Van den Hul Mainstream, Optical 8k cables, Clearaudio (Synchro+Champion2+TT3 tangential+CM Bearing+Outer Limit+StradivariV2, 530uV, 200 ohms), NUC11 i7, Samsung-980Pro, -A8, -S24Ultra, Roon Life, Netgear 108, AQ Cinnamon all, Live cable USB, AQ jitterbug 5x, WB 18TB 2x

2: 220Pro, Kef R3, Rel Studio, Oppo103EU (surround), Quad 707(mod), Kef RDM2, all on Iso Acoustics 200, Gaia 3 & 1, LG Oled55, Furutech wall outlets(3x), AQ NRG-Z3 (2m., 5x), Kemp powerstrips, Audiotool filters, Oppo HA2+PM3 + AQ cinnamon cables

1900 recorded LP's 24/192, 850 DSD 5.1 SACD (via Oppo), 4800 ripped CD's, Qubuz

FWIW In an old 170 review in hifi choice Paul Miller wrote...
"the near-perfect ‘stiffness’ of the power supply reflected in the 115W, 230W and 450W delivered under dynamic conditions into 8, 4 and 2ohm loads", I expect things have improved since then.
Roon, Rega P9 + Dynavector XX2Mk2 > 440 Pro > Sonus Faber Guarneri Evolution
(12-Jan-2018, 19:44)Peter van der Laarse Wrote: Dear readers,

The law of ohms is actual as always: R=V/I and of course at the same time P=V*I. ...

Dear Peter,

Do you have a degree in physics?...Because I do. While some of what you are saying is true, most of is either not or irrelevant. I don't want to go into details as this is not the physics tutoring forum but I used my Devialet in Europe, moved to Japan for 3 years (100 V) and back again a few years ago. The Devialet sounded exactly the same apart from the acoustics defined by the space they were put in.

I have European and American (same as Japanese) plugs, sockets, cables and power filters totally mixed (about 50/50) and they all work fine. While Ohm's Law that you quoted is true, it is little help on speaker impedance and amplifier power as was asked in the original post. Both impedance (relevant here) and resistance (that you are talking about) are measured in ohms but they are not the same. I could go on about other misconceptions in your post but it would be equally irrelevant to the original question.
Win10/HQPlayer / Roon - Uptone Audio Etherregen switch / SOtM-SMS-200 ultra with clock input - Mutec REF 10 clock for the switch and the streamer - Denafrips GAIA DCC - Devialet D800 - YG Acoustics Carmel - Dual Elac SUB-2090 
power supplies: Uptone JS-2, SOtM SPS-500
(12-Jan-2018, 19:44)Peter van der Laarse Wrote: So the first question you can ask, but you mean to know something else. Especially the graphics in the last showthread shown by Confused says a lot. But not everything. Everybody should start with the beginning and I don't ever see such discussions about it: the 4k power needed by the Devialet is much more easily delivered in an European situation then in the USA. Like the best kitchen appliances from Germany (Miele) cannot be sold in New York city because the power which the houses can be entered (the mains) are too low. (380V-20A maximum in the Netherlands, Europe when you buy it into your house; 230V-16 A standard. Almost nobody pays for the extra mains here). If you want a Devialet to sound fabulous you need a minimum of 4.000 Watts of power from the mains. Continuous and in milliseconds as well. My entrance is 230Volts by 20Ampere= 4.600 Watts. 2 times only for the music.
What (or Watt) are yours? All over USA 110V? And the rest of the world? Devialet is build in and for the Europe situation. Especially current needs extremely bulky cables (in silver-expensive). My VandenHull mains cable costs 420 euro pro meter and that's only for 230Volts...... To reach the same effect at 110V you need more then 2 times the diameter.....

And another factor are the mains plugs: I once read on a Japanese website (Furutech) that the mains plugs in different countries can handle different powers. My conclusion is: I think that the Devialet is not the limiting factor here; the different mains inputs in the different countries are. And the investment on your mains entrance is very important with such a powerfull amplifier. It's a D class as well: switching by electronics: so the power of the amplifier is dependent on the mains. Very.

Perhaps something to think about...?
From Devialet's website:

The control loop is ultra-quick and particularly well suited to audio engineering. Expert Pro systems can instantly shift from 0 to 4000 Watts while sustaining an average running power of 1200W. Output voltage is variable by a factor of 8 from +/- 10V to +/-80V and constantly changes to minimize overall thermal dissipation.

A load balancing controller ensures even load sharing between reservoir capacities across different power rails, doubling the available energy supply.

Power supply relies on a central transformer based on planar technology. It serves two purposes: spreading energy in packets and ensuring the electrical safety of the product by isolating the hazardous areas. Compact and perfectly symmetrical, the central transformer is far superior to traditional solutions in terms of efficiency and primary/secondary pollution.

Power supply is unaffected by the mains and runs silently with remarkably low electromagnetic disturbance. It is universal and compliant with all power grid supplies: 90-240Vac – 50/60Hz. Driven by a microprocessor, power supply is automatically protected from anomalies including surges, dips and overloads. On a practical level, functional range is stretched out even further to 50 - 270Vac ~ 40/70 Hz, making your Expert Pro available for use anywhere in the world.

The above text refers to the power supplies maximum capability.  So with the amplifier running at its' absolute maximum, the power supply will need no more than 1200w continuously, which is about 5 amps in the UK or Europe, and even with 110v in the USA is less than 11 amps.  To be clear, these are maximums, with most domestic listening the figures will be considerably lower, probably nearer the 1 amp or so level.  Consider that most speakers will only cope with 100w to 400w continuously.  If you did manage to run 1200w into your speakers on a continuous basis then melted voice coils are more likely to be your problem that the amplifier demanding too much current.

4 kw is a LOT of power, it is the kind of power that something like an electric oven, a patio heater, or large room heater would use.  Devialet's get hot, but not hot enough to heat your living room in winter or roast a whole chicken.  

So looking at the numbers, I would say a Devialet user in the USA with 110v is likely to get exactly the same performance as one in Europe, all other things being equal.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
Hi Fi World review measured the 220 Pro as 144 watts into 8 ohms and 190 watts into 6 ohms due to protection kicking in.
I’m in the uk so around 230v on the mains, going slightly off topic I always see uk 3 pin mains plugs more secure and have a better fit that anything I’ve seen in Europe or the U.S. and don’t so easily work loose from the wall socket.