Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HELP! 120 won't start
Hi all, 

first post here and it's a problem - apologies in advance.

I recently bought an Expert 120 and love it  Smile

That's the good news.

Now the bad. I also bought the preamplifier board for it so that I can run my active subs.
I installed it following these simple instructions: https://vimeo.com/98140701

But now my unit seems to be completely dead. There is power going to it (the little red light is on). But the display is completely blank  Huh

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas. Is there a way to reset the unit for example ?

thanks in advance
I am always surprised to see these installation guides where no precaution is taken against static. At least an anti-static wrist band would be a minimum requirement when handling such delicate electronics. One static discharge and that IC chip is fried. To be honest the whole unit should be placed on an anti-static mat which is then properly earthed.
SOtM sMS-200-Ultra, SOtM sPS-500, Melco N1A, Rega RP8 (Exact 2), Core Infinity D440 Pro (2 x D220 Pro), Audioquest Diamond Ethernet, USB, Audioquest Castle Rock,  Sonus Faber Olympica I.
(15-Jan-2018, 11:57)JimSmith Wrote: I am always surprised to see these installation guides where no precaution is taken against static. At least an anti-static wrist band would be a minimum requirement when handling such delicate electronics. One static discharge and that IC chip is fried. To be honest the whole unit should be placed on an anti-static mat which is then properly earthed.

That's scary … I hope I haven't fried anything!
Jim is right about anti-static precautions and they are bit silly to not even mention that. Having said that it is fairly unusual to zap somethng. It used to be something I saw quite a bit in the earlier days of computers/chips but is quite rare now.

I'd suggest removing the board again and see if it works!  In the absence of anti-static precautions, touching a tap, water pipe or unpainted part of radiator (something connected to earth) just before you touch the board might help discharge any static.
(15-Jan-2018, 12:19)Rufus McDufus Wrote: Jim is right about anti-static precautions and they are bit silly to not even mention that. Having said that it is fairly unusual to zap somethng. It used to be something I saw quite a bit in the earlier days of computers/chips but is quite rare now.

I'd suggest removing the board again and see if it works!  In the absence of anti-static precautions, touching a tap, water pipe or unpainted part of radiator (something connected to earth) just before you touch the board might help discharge any static.

so I just removed the board and it works again! That is some big relief 

Looks like a faulty preamp board

Thanks for the tip Rufus !
With board a new config could be necessary by 120

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk
Apologies for not coming back sooner.

I had the issue resolved by the distributer here (Melbourne, Australia).

I guess I hadn't reseated the boards properly when I plugged the preamp section back in.

excellent service and I'm back in action !

Thanks for everyone's input