Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
does it make sense to upgrade from 400 to 440?
For those who have upgraded from 400 to 440: was it worth it?

Are there improvements in the sound?

Are they significant?

Where can I see a list of the improvements?
D400; Stereolab Tombo Tron coaxial for master -> slave; Kubala-Sosna Elation interconnects, power, and speaker cables; Spendor D7 speakers; Bryston BDP-2 w. latest sound card & upgraded fuses; Bybee Stealth Power Purifier conditioner connected with IsoTek EVO3 Syncro SE to wall socket
(17-Jan-2018, 01:02)miro Wrote: For those who have upgraded from 400 to 440: was it worth it?

Are there improvements in the sound?

Are they significant?

Where can I see a list of the improvements?
When you send your amps to be upgraded to Pro status, the complete internals of the amps are replaced. In essence, they are completely different amplifiers, and I, like many others here are pleased that the Devialet house sound remains intact, but with significant improvements in SQ across the board. You will hear enhancements in treble accuracy and smoothness, fuller and better controlled bass, larger soundstage with improved imaging and an overall fuller and richer sound. Plus, you will have the advantage of a fresh five year guarantee.
I haven’t heard anyone on DC who has regretted the upgrade. You will also (I assume) have the CI board fitted, which also brings improvements in SQ, and although the software is still not finished, I believe that Devialet are heading in the right direction with this, as there is a beta program which has had two updates since the inception of the CI board. I can thoroughly recommend the upgrade, and I bet there will be others on here who will back me up on this. Good luck and happy listening to you @miro!
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
@miro I believe @Axel has summarized any comments I might have made, far better than I could have.

While the upgrade is not insignificant in cost, it was well worth it for me.
Roon ROCK on Intel NUC6i5SYH/Ethernet | VPI Avenger | Devialet 440 Pro CI | Vivid Audio Giya G3 | Auralic Aires Mini | Synology 1812+ NAS
SXSW, US
Ditto on the comments above... I went from a single 200 to two 220s running as a 440 and have no regrets. I sold my 200 and bought two 220s rather than going the upgrade route. If you have the itch to upgrade, going from a 400 to a 440 is a great option - particularly if you love the Expert sound you're already getting. The only suggestion I might make is to just enjoy your 400 for a few more months and wait until the CI upgrade dust fully settles before making the jump.

You should be able to find many comments here in DevialetChat from those that made the jump.
Devialet 440 Pro (two 220s)- Oracle CD transport - Kuzma Stabi S/Stogi S turntable - Von Schweikert VR-35 speakers - JPS SC3 SCs - PI Audio power conditioning -
Triode Wire Labs ICs and PCs - Roon on NUC 8i7beh running ROCK
Durham, NC USA