Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which turntable Pro-ject?
Finally, i'm about to order the Signature 10 with Ortofon Cadenza Black cartridge...
Devialet 200, Sonus Faber Olympica 2, Pro-ject Signature 10, Ortofon Cadenza Black, DCS Network Bridge, Iso Gaia Acoustics, Crystal Cable Micro Diamond, AVM 3 Cdp, 
(05-Feb-2018, 11:33)Dimi Pap Wrote: Finally, i'm about to order the Signature 10 with Ortofon Cadenza Black cartridge...

Congratulations on a fine choice! Shy   I am as sure as I can be that this will be a superb match for your system.  Let's hope you are please yourself when you try it for real at home.  Good luck and keep us posted as to how you find it when set up and running.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
I wait for 6th week the Pro-ject Signature 10...
Devialet 200, Sonus Faber Olympica 2, Pro-ject Signature 10, Ortofon Cadenza Black, DCS Network Bridge, Iso Gaia Acoustics, Crystal Cable Micro Diamond, AVM 3 Cdp, 
(06-Feb-2018, 18:56)Confused Wrote:
(05-Feb-2018, 11:33)Dimi Pap Wrote: Finally, i'm about to order the Signature 10 with Ortofon Cadenza Black cartridge...

Congratulations on a fine choice! Shy   I am as sure as I can be that this will be a superb match for your system.  Let's hope you are please yourself when you try it for real at home.  Good luck and keep us posted as to how you find it when set up and running.

I got the Pro-ject Signature 10, one week ago. First impressions are excellent. Great Sound. Mids are excellent. Expressive and robust. Bass has an excellent definition. Only treble would like to be more extensive.  Generally it is as you described it.
@Dimi Pap Good news!  It sounds like you are happy with your new addition.  I am always a little nervous about recommendations, it is a little upsetting when you recommend something that ultimately disappoints whoever tries it next.   I think robust is a good description.  When I tried the Signature versus some rivals, the others did sound thinner in comparison, nothing had the solidity of bass that the Signature 10 could muster, but it remains very balanced and superbly musical, it is just plain good to listen too.  I wonder about your comment regarding treble.  For me, I have not noticed a deficit in this area, but I wonder if this is simply a basic comparison with the digital alternatives?  Most turntables will struggle to generate the utterly searing treble that digital can muster sometimes.  You might want to consider a different cartridge in the future to fine tune the balance, some alternatives may be a touch brighter, but I suggest you do two or three thousand hours listening with the Cadenza first. Shy

As a fun question, which finish do you go for?  The sexy Piano Black, the classy Mahogany, or drop dead gorgeous Olive?

(I really liked the Olive, by far the nicest I thought, but bought the Piano Black, as it was more of a match with the rest of my system, my Blades are black for a start.)
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(20-Apr-2018, 08:24)Confused Wrote: @Dimi Pap Good news!  It sounds like you are happy with your new addition.  I am always a little nervous about recommendations, it is a little upsetting when you recommend something that ultimately disappoints whoever tries it next.   I think robust is a good description.  When I tried the Signature versus some rivals, the others did sound thinner in comparison, nothing had the solidity of bass that the Signature 10 could muster, but it remains very balanced and superbly musical, it is just plain good to listen too.  I wonder about your comment regarding treble.  For me, I have not noticed a deficit in this area, but I wonder if this is simply a basic comparison with the digital alternatives?  Most turntables will struggle to generate the utterly searing treble that digital can muster sometimes.  You might want to consider a different cartridge in the future to fine tune the balance, some alternatives may be a touch brighter, but I suggest you do two or three thousand hours listening with the Cadenza first. Shy

As a fun question, which finish do you go for?  The sexy Piano Black, the classy Mahogany, or drop dead gorgeous Olive?

(I really liked the Olive, by far the nicest I thought, but bought the Piano Black, as it was more of a match with the rest of my system, my Blades are black for a start.)
@Dimi Pap. Try increasing VTA by raising the arm pillar a little. This should increase the treble although possibly sacrifice a little bass. Also try adjusting tracking weight. Less weight usually means more treble but be wary of mis-tracking. Easiest and first might be to alter the cartridge loading in the Devialet configurator. Increasing the load will bring more emphasis to the treble. Good luck!
(20-Apr-2018, 08:24)Confused Wrote: @Dimi Pap Good news!  It sounds like you are happy with your new addition.  I am always a little nervous about recommendations, it is a little upsetting when you recommend something that ultimately disappoints whoever tries it next.   I think robust is a good description.  When I tried the Signature versus some rivals, the others did sound thinner in comparison, nothing had the solidity of bass that the Signature 10 could muster, but it remains very balanced and superbly musical, it is just plain good to listen too.  I wonder about your comment regarding treble.  For me, I have not noticed a deficit in this area, but I wonder if this is simply a basic comparison with the digital alternatives?  Most turntables will struggle to generate the utterly searing treble that digital can muster sometimes.  You might want to consider a different cartridge in the future to fine tune the balance, some alternatives may be a touch brighter, but I suggest you do two or three thousand hours listening with the Cadenza first. Shy

@"Confused" Finally, i got the "sexy piano black" for the same reason exactly. The dealer told me to wait until the cartridge plays over 100 hours, as you advice me.  Then it will make a new settings with this software & Test LP https://www.analogmagik.com/
(20-Apr-2018, 09:56)Greg Wrote:

@Dimi Pap. Try increasing VTA by raising the arm pillar a little. This should increase the treble although possibly sacrifice a little bass. Also try adjusting tracking weight. Less weight usually means more treble but be wary of mis-tracking. Easiest and first might be to alter the cartridge loading in the Devialet configurator. Increasing the load will bring more emphasis to the treble. Good luck!
@"Greg Wrote"  Many thanks for your advice Greg but the dealer told me to wait until the cartridge plays over 100 hours. Then it will make a new settings with this software & Test LP https://www.analogmagik.com/
Has anyone used the Ortofon ST-80 SE transformer ( https://www.ortofon.com/st-80-se-mc-tran...434-n-3447 ) with Ortofon Cadenza Black? Had an effect on sound?
will be very interested in hearing anyone's experience as well.  Have the Cadenza Black as well and thought it works well with the D440 would love to see if it can compete with the Dynavector DRT (an exceptional cartridge) with the inclusion of this phono amp.

Jim
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Roon for life, VPI Aries 3D le/Dynavector XV-1s, 1000 Pro, KEF Blade Two
Okanagan, British Columbia