Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Speakers for Devialet 120
Hi everyone
What speakers do you recommend for Devialet 120?
I have SA Pandion 2 loudspeakers and I do not know if it will be a good connection or look for something else.
Thanks
I looked at the speaker specs although I'm not familiar with that brand. You might find the 120 a bit underpowered but I'd suggest trying it out. A lot will depend on room size and your listening habits. I have Joseph Pulsar speakers and found the 120 to be underpowered for them in my previous setting. I've just moved and the listening room is much smaller so we'll see.
iMac 2021, Roon, home wifi, Devialet Phantom I x 2
I thought about Dynaudio Special 40 before but I know Dynaudio is not easy to drive. on the other hand, I've heard that Dynaudio and Devialet are a good match.
@marko K.
Welcome. The D120 has been around for quite a while and there are several threads about speaker options for this amp. I am sure that you will find a great deal of information already in place in those threads. It will likely be a better collection of comments and advice than you will get with a new thread.

I agree, however, that the Dynaudio could be a good match, depending on your power demands.
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
(06-Feb-2018, 17:52)Marko K. Wrote: I thought about Dynaudio Special 40 before but I know Dynaudio is not easy to drive. on the other hand, I've heard that Dynaudio and Devialet are a good match.

Special 40 is indeed a very nice speaker. But a 120 does not let it shine. You need a 220 to match with this speaker. Believe me, it's a big difference.
(06-Feb-2018, 20:43)Stino Wrote:
(06-Feb-2018, 17:52)Marko K. Wrote: I thought about Dynaudio Special 40 before but I know Dynaudio is not easy to drive. on the other hand, I've heard that Dynaudio and Devialet are a good match.

Special 40 is indeed a very nice speaker. But a 120 does not let it shine. You need a 220 to match with this speaker. Believe me, it's a big difference.

Although I agree a 220 or even 440 would make the Special 40 sound better, if Devialet SAM the 40, the 120 could still drive them with some degree of satisfaction.

Try the Kef LS50 too. very nice sounding speaker.

Good luck with your audio quest!
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
I see no reason why the D120 would not drive the SA pandion 2 adequately.

It is not clear from your post whether you already have the D120 driving them or whether you plan to have a D120 and wonder if they would be a good match with the D120.

My recommendation would be that you listen to the D120 driving them and assess whether you like it or not before thinking of changing your speakers.

Jean-Marie
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France
Thanks for the suggestions.
I had KEF LS50 speakers connected to the Hegel H360 and very poorly played to current SA Pandion 2 with Scan Speak.
Nothing with a sensitivity under 90dB, preferably 92 or above. My D800 can only drive my 87dB speakers properly when I use the active cross-over in the Dev. and send the low frequencies to the subs. This was less of a problem with my previous Proac Response D80s (91dB). Speaking of which, you may want to check out Proac's product range, too.
Win10/HQPlayer / Roon - Uptone Audio Etherregen switch / SOtM-SMS-200 ultra with clock input - Mutec REF 10 clock for the switch and the streamer - Denafrips GAIA DCC - Devialet D800 - YG Acoustics Carmel - Dual Elac SUB-2090 
power supplies: Uptone JS-2, SOtM SPS-500
(24-Feb-2018, 10:36)zdenes Wrote: Nothing with a sensitivity under 90dB, preferably 92 or above. My D800 can only drive my 87dB speakers properly when I use the active cross-over in the Dev. and send the low frequencies to the subs. This was less of a problem with my previous Proac Response D80s (91dB). Speaking of which, you may want to check out Proac's product range, too.

I had a D120, now upgraded into a D220 pro. I was using the D120 with a pair of AperturA Harmonia which are on 88dB in terms of sensitivity. 

I never felt the D120 under powered and was very seldom feeling the need to crank it past -6dB. 

And now that I have a D220, most of the time I’m below-8dB. 

So I would not rule out speakers based on their sensitivity without listening to them before. 

My 2 cents,

Jean-Marie
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France