Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
McIntosh MA9000 vs Devialet D-Premier by Jeff Fritz
"Devialet vs. McIntosh

I had on hand an original Devialet D-Premier integrated amplifier-DAC ($15,995, discontinued), and thought it would be fascinating to compare it with the McIntosh MA9000. Looking at these two components side by side, it’s hard to imagine how anyone drawn to one could also find the other attractive. The Devialet is sleek and modern, the McIntosh massive and retro. Yet I found myself appreciating both, just as I can appreciate a fine sports car and a rugged pickup truck -- the D-Premier and the MA9000 are both well designed, visually, and it was easy to like whichever one I had in the system at the time. Sonically, it was much the same: they were obviously different, but each had a sound I found enticing.

The Devialet D-Premier’s strengths were audible straight away: It was easy to hear the crystal-clear, dimensional sound that has always been the hallmark of Devialet amps with “Fruit Stand,” from the Onyx Collective’s Lower East Suite, Part One (16/44.1 FLAC, Big Dada/Tidal). Saxophonist Isaiah Barr’s menagerie pays tribute to New York City in this track, and man is it ever cool. The smooth sound of the recording was made even more so by the Devialet’s quiet, tactful delivery, Barr’s sax floating in space just to right of center, and the light percussion and double bass respectively adding rhythm and foundation. I was thoroughly impressed by how the Devialet let through the sound of the space around the instruments with dimension and nuance. The sound was transparent, with no sonic artifacts that led me to believe the music was recorded, not live.

The MA9000, by contrast, pushed Barr’s sax a little closer to my listening position, and “Fruit Stand” sounded a touch less smooth but more dynamic overall -- and, as a result, a bit more human. The percussion also sounded a tiny bit more forceful through the McIntosh, and the overall sound a smidgen less atmospheric than through the Devialet. The D-Premier’s perspective was farther away; with the McIntosh, I felt as if the performers were close enough that I could reach out and touch them. With “Fruit Stand,” the sound was definitely cooler with the Devialet. The McIntosh had more of a human touch.

“Let You Down,” from NF’s Perception (16/44.1 FLAC, NF Real Music/Tidal), was driving through the Devialet, the machine-gun lyrics delivered with all the disappointment and pain steely and intact. The D-Premier produced excellent senses of pace, rhythm, and timing, while keeping the voices clear and matter of fact. In addition, there was actually some semblance of a soundstage painted in my room, and an extra-firm bass foundation delivered right at track’s end. Such was the Devialet’s resolution that I could hear the compression in the recording -- it made me wish for a wider dynamic range that this recording just doesn’t contain. The MA9000, in contrast, sounded fuller and more solid, with less apparent emphasis of pace, rhythm, and timing, and more focus on the instruments. The piano sounded bigger through the big Mac, with the performer, again, closer to my listening position.

Overall, the Devialet D-Premier’s primary traits of transparency, resolution, and a slight coolness were fully revealed in comparison to the McIntosh MA9000’s closer, more intimate sound, the latter displaying denser, more tangible images. Which will you prefer? As obvious as were the differences between these sounds, the differences in how these two integrateds are styled and built are even greater. The Devialet is sleek, compact, and European; the McIntosh is substantial, bold, unabashedly American. I can appreciate either look, my preference depending on the day and my mood. Devialet’s amps have received many awards from the SoundStage! publications over the years -- and the McIntosh equaled them. High praise indeed."

It would be very interesting to compare the new McIntosh MA9000 vs currently Devialet models like a D220 Pro CI (similar price) or a D440 Pro CI (similar power).

You can read the McIntosh MA9000 full review in http://www.soundstageultra.com/index.php...lifier-dac
Pro-Ject CD BOX RS--Roon--Qobuz Studio--Technics SL-1200GR--Synergistic Research Tricon Analogue 20th Anniversary--AT-OC9XSL--AudioQuest Niagara 1200--AudioQuest NRG-Z3--Devialet 220 Pro CI--Kimber Kable 4PR--Harbeth SHL5--Sumiko S.9 Subwoofers--Sennheiser HD 540 Reference Gold--IsoAcoustics GAIA II and Orea Graphite
Alicante (Spain)
(06-Feb-2018, 22:37)Nakatomi63 Wrote: It would be very interesting to compare the new McIntosh MA9000 vs currently Devialet models like a D220 Pro CI (similar price) or a D440 Pro CI (similar power).

I don't think the outcome of the comparison would be very different. Both brands seem to have a 'house sound' in some way. I read the review and when Fritz mentioned that he was going to compare it with the D-Premier I had already guessed his conclusion before I read on.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(06-Feb-2018, 22:52)Pim Wrote:
(06-Feb-2018, 22:37)Nakatomi63 Wrote: It would be very interesting to compare the new McIntosh MA9000 vs currently Devialet models like a D220 Pro CI (similar price) or a D440 Pro CI (similar power).

I don't think the outcome of the comparison would be very different. Both brands seem to have a 'house sound' in some way.

True, the different Devialet reviews by Jeff Fritz prove it.
Pro-Ject CD BOX RS--Roon--Qobuz Studio--Technics SL-1200GR--Synergistic Research Tricon Analogue 20th Anniversary--AT-OC9XSL--AudioQuest Niagara 1200--AudioQuest NRG-Z3--Devialet 220 Pro CI--Kimber Kable 4PR--Harbeth SHL5--Sumiko S.9 Subwoofers--Sennheiser HD 540 Reference Gold--IsoAcoustics GAIA II and Orea Graphite
Alicante (Spain)
I’m not sure about pricing elsewhere, but in the UK the 440 Pro is cheaper than the MA9000. Consider that the D250 is better than a D-Premier, a 400 better than a 250, and a 440 Pro betters a 400, the comparison with a 440 Pro might indeed lead to a different conclusion, or at least the bias of Mr Fritz pushed a little. Bring it on!

One issue I have with review, I like the look of the MA9000 a lot, and I like the looks of the D-Premier. Very different yes, but it is possible to like both.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
Interesting read; I have been on an 'occasional' diet of hi fi equipment reviews for the last four or five months; just can't seem to get too interested, and so I probably wouldn't have noticed this column. But I did read it.

As others point out, it is curious how reviewers opinions of equipment seem to vary over time. No big deal, I guess. But it is interesting when one reads comments about gear that we have had experience of. I'm thinking here of Hegel; besides Naim and Devialet, I've heard Hegel systems in some detail, and I would never have considered it a 'Class A' sound. Assuming 'Class A' means 'warm and human and ... ' whatever terms JF used, I personally, find Hegel gear to sound quite mechanical. So, then, I wonder how the Mc missed something that the Hegel / Coda combo provided. Alas.

No matter. I haven't heard a D Prem either. It seems to be a casual comparison of a current Mc product vs. a Devialet amp that is several generations old, so perhaps more of a 'just out of curiosity' exercise than a real comparative test. But I wonder why he has a D Prem hanging about? Seems an odd paperweight after getting rid of all his other extravagant gear. But as @Confused points out, the Devialet amps have changed quite a bit since the DPrem and so anyone who is mildly curious (or mildly perplexed, like me) might be willing to spend a few precious minutes perusing a comparison of current products.
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
That Devialet is an few years old product. Should compare it using 440 Pro.
Yesterday I heard the MA9000 with Sonus Faber Serafino speakers and a dCS Network Bridge.

I was really surprised by how good this system sounded! I'd never really taken McIntosh very seriously, how wrong I was. My guess is that this would give the 1000 PRO a very good run for its money. At just under £13k I think it's a bargain, relatively speaking of course. In the US it sells for 10K USD! The specs on the digital front are very impressive too (DSD up to 256 and PCM up to 32/384 via USB), although as far as I know you do need an external streamer.

I particularly liked the richness and weight of the midrange (almost a bit tube-like?) and the fact that the sound seemed very natural. Nice synergy with the SF speakers too. Come to think of it the Serafinos deserve some credit too! 

I rather like its looks too.  Angel

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
I've have a slightly different take on this.  I had a McIntosh MC152, D150, and MCT80 driving a pair of T+A Criterion TB160 speakers.  While I was happy with the sound, I was always looking to improve upon the sound.

When I had to move some furniture around, decided to try my Devialet 400 with the T+A speakers.  As soon as 
I did this, I knew I had to get another Devialet, and sell the Mac gear.  Every aspect of sound reproduction improved.  The most noticeable improvements are outlined as follows:

1) Improved Dynamics
2) A more open and wider/deeper soundstage
3) Bass is WAY different.  The bass from the 400 sounded much better, more realistic, with great resolution.  The Mac bass was subjectively a bit louder, but, it lacked definition, while the 400 had outstanding definition.  Stand up bass with the 400 was very close to life like. 
4) The presence range from the 400 was again, more life like sounding.  Listening to the Berlin Philharmonic DVD's, the 400's actually sounded like the violin soloist was in the same room.  

In summary, every aspect of sound reproduction was improved with the 400 over the Mac gear.  Granted, the MC152 is only 150 watts, but the T+A speakers are really efficient, so 150 watts should be good enough.  (Actually, the MC152 measures closer to 220 watts).  

So, I sold the Mac gear (gotta love Mac resale value!), and as fate would have it, picked up a D-Premier that was just re-furbished by the factory (with a 5 year warranty).  I moved the 400's back to my other speakers (Dynaudio Focus 360, which is supported by SAM).

So here is the thing:  The D-Premier provides the same level of improvements with the T+A speakers as the 400's.  I really don't notice any real difference between the D-Premier and the 400 with the T+A speakers.  The max suggested power for the T+A speakers is 180 watts, so the 240 watts from the D-Premier is more than adequate.  The D-Premier provides all the same improvements that the 400 provided.  Went back and herd the same things with the D-Premier that I herd with the 400's. 

My understanding is that the ADH in the D-Premier is the same as the Expert, so shouldn't they more or less have the same sonic signature?  It seems like it does with the T+A speakers.
1, ATC SCM 40 V2 speakers,  SVS PC4000 subwoofer,  Devialet Expert Pro 1000, ,  Ultrasone Edition 15, Ultrasone Edition 15 Veritas,  ,Chord Hugo TT, Magnetar UBR-800, GeerFab DBoB, OTL Headphone amp

2. Dynaudio Focus 360 , Devialet Expert Pro 220, Reavon UBR X-110, GeerFab DBoB