Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phantoms Powered up 24/7 Or Not?
My first phantoms were powered on 24/7 for nearly 3 years and in that time 2 failed becoming unresponsive.

I have noticed that on this forum that others have had similar failures after 2+ years, and wonder if those that have failed have been powered up all the time.

I now power my system off when not being used in an attempt to extend the speakers life, reduce yellowing of the case and to save energy and avoid frying the dialog which gets very hot warping the enclosure.

My actions are not based on any scientific reason but in an attempt to do something different this time.

Are there any benefits of leaving powered up or not 24/7 or is there a risk of damaging them constantly powering them on and off at the plug?

I wonder if there is a link between leaving them powered up and early failures. I'd be interested in hearing from those that have had Phantoms go down like me.
I don’t think there’s any correlation.
They’re designed to be constantly plugged in.

Devialet designed Phantom to last a minimum of 10 years. Of course they haven’t even been out that long just yet but their stance is 10 years minimum powered on everyday or not. They’re made to be placed in a spot. Plugged in. And left.

I leave mine plugged in 24/7 and I’ve never had an issue due to that. Phantom does technically go to a semi-standby mode when not in use but it keeps networking active at all times. The warmth of the units isn’t a problem. They’re designed to width stand over 100°C (212°F) during operation or not. Of course doesn’t mean they should get there but the little warmth they out out won’t harm them providing most of that warmth is transferred to the heat sink block.

Dialogue unfortunately is plagued by it’s poorly designed box that traps heat in. You could turn that off or put a fan facing it.

If you do want to power down your Phantom units. The correct way to do it is by holding the button on the back until the woofers move and the Phantom makes a sound. Remove your finger. They will shut down.

Any time you want to unplug a Phantom shut it down that way first. It’s like shutting down a computer. It just makes sure everything powers down correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Devialet Phantom (White)
Mine have been on for 30 months or so Without issue. We have the occasional power cut where I live but the system just reboots without fuss. Perhaps not good for the planet but I would imagine there is less stress to the components having a constant power feed.
I have two Gold with Dialog on loan. I have also noticed that both the speakers heat-sink and the Dialog get pretty warm and also maintain a temperature that is considerably above the ambient temp, when not in use. How can this even be allowed today, with all the restrictions and means to conserve? It couldn't have been that difficult for Devialet to make them go into a low power mode and then sleep or real standby (<1 W consumption) after a preset or custom set time. The Expert lineup incorporates that feature and it's also possible to configure or even disable. But default is 5 minutes delay until low power mode and after 30 minutes it goes into standby (not sub 1 W I think, but deep-sleep is available with a long press of the power button and then they get cold).

Other than that, I mainly love them and consider them to be unbeatable at their price point. But I already have the Experts in dual mono setup, so... Wink
Ken - a new Devialet fan, located in Sweden  Cool
(10-Feb-2018, 22:16)Rodrat2 Wrote: Mine have been on for 30 months or so Without issue. We have the occasional power cut where I live but the system just reboots without fuss. Perhaps not good for the planet but I would imagine there is less stress to the components having a constant power feed.

Heat accelerates the aging process of most materials, when oxygen is present. Devialet should have flushed them with nitrogen before sealing them, if they haven't. 
Thermal cycling produce mostly mechanical wear. Best solution would be to ask Devialet what the design intent was, but my opinion is that they run way hotter than they should when not playing any music.

Best regards,
Ken, M.Sc.
Ken - a new Devialet fan, located in Sweden  Cool
Naim recommend leaving their stuff powered up although this may have more to do with the drop in SQ when cold.
For the winter months I‘m not concerned as we have electric heating. So my heaters consume the same amount of engery less that the Phantoms and Dialog produce. In summer when we do not need heating the energy balance is worse. I bought some radio controlled power switches to take the Phantoms and Dialog off power. It takes them 30s to get operational when turned on.
I am not in favour of leaving my two Phantoms and the Dialog on standby all time. Dialog, e.g. gets really hot to the hand.

My Golds are plugged  into a Duet Power Center which has a button to separete the unit from the grid (PS Audio) and the Dialog into a wall socket. At night I first power down the Golds and then unplug the Dialog. An hour or so before listening I first power up the Golds, let them find each other for one minute and then plug the Dialog. Until now all three have found each other without further adoo.

That's not so much for the waste of energy but to prolong their life time. Some electronic components age faster when heat stressed permanently, AFAIK. If I am wrong, please correct me.
(05-Mar-2018, 21:23)Mohmm Wrote: I am not in favour of leaving my two Phantoms and the Dialog on standby all time. Dialog, e.g. gets really hot to the hand.

My Golds are plugged  into a Duet Power Center which has a button to separete the unit from the grid (PS Audio) and the Dialog into a wall socket. At night I first power down the Golds and then unplug the Dialog. An hour or so before listening I first power up the Golds, let them find each other for one minute and then plug the Dialog. Until now all three have found each other without further adoo.

That's not so much for the waste of energy but to prolong their life time. Some electronic components age faster when heat stressed permanently, AFAIK. If I am wrong, please correct me.

I cannot tell you if the temperature of all the components used in Phantoms and Dialog are on a level of reduced lifetime, but heat stress happens when parts are exposed to temperature changes. Those are less when you keep devices running rather than having them cooling down by let‘s say 40 deg. once or more daily. That‘s why I keep them running all the time. Temperature is more constant and I hope Devialet engineers took care that all components are operating within their temperature specs. During the hot season I turn them off when not used.
(06-Mar-2018, 02:00)streamy Wrote:
(05-Mar-2018, 21:23)Mohmm Wrote: I am not in favour of leaving my two Phantoms and the Dialog on standby all time. Dialog, e.g. gets really hot to the hand.

I cannot tell you if the temperature of all the components used in Phantoms and Dialog are on a level of reduced lifetime, but heat stress happens when parts are exposed to temperature changes. Those are less when you keep devices running rather than having them cooling down by let‘s say 40 deg. once or more daily. That‘s why I keep them running all the time. Temperature is more constant and I hope Devialet engineers took care that all components are operating within their temperature specs. During the hot season I turn them off when not used.