Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Devialet, Roon and Tidal
(24-Feb-2018, 06:52)Rocketmannequin Wrote: Tidal may not always continue to be available, see latest below.  It was the management of this Tidal streaming content that had attracted me to Roon (which I loved!) as I don't have a large personal library of Hi-Res content of my own.  Without Tidal, Roon would thus be of little use to me, and any playlists that I would have invested in would be for nought.  So I am on Spotify Connect which works directly with the Devialet from the router, waiting for hopefully lossless service in the near future.  

https://www.thewrap.com/jay-zs-tidal-hit...jump-ship/

I do put this as one of my concerns as for me Roon really enhances my Tidal experience, and I think I said without Tidal for me Roon would not be needed, however at just over 100 dollars a one year subscription would be a no brainer for me. It might be even cheaper as I am not sure if we get a dollar conversion rate here in the UK.

If Spotify ever gets a lossless service I would consider it, but I moved to Tidal from Spotify as the step up in sound quality was considerable.

As for Roon I will start another thread about the sound quality compared to my Melco
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
No cash, no hope - TIDAL with an uncertain future?
The online music streaming service TIDAL has never been shy about pithy slogans. This may well be a good part of who is behind this service, all celebrities who are accustomed to present themselves in the best light and maintain the best contacts with the media landscape. Since the beginning, there were almost exclusively rejoicing reports around the offer of Jay Z and Co. to report ...

But now it seems that the "perfect world" around the alleged future of music distribution has fallen a few shadows, better said the beautiful appearance has so many serious flaws. This is at least suggested by reports that are currently spreading like wildfire on the Web, all of which relate to news stories related to a report by the Norwegian business magazine Dagens Næringsliv.

TIDAL go out of the money, these reports can all be summarized, the report even goes so far as to allow the online provider only another six months of latitude. So far, according to these reports, the financial cushion, which stands above all through an investment over 200 million US dollars by Sprint available. This would mean that the "lights" at TIDAL probably went out around the summer, should nothing seriously change the current situation.

The chances of a serious improvement of the situation are not very good, according to the reports of the Norwegians. Rather, TIDAL lost $ 44 million last year alone, and Jay Z and the other owners of Tidal had lost nearly half a billion dollars so far. In addition, it is assumed that the number of people hijacked would not quite correspond to reality. It was said at the beginning of the year by 3 million subscribers, whereas announced internal reports of only 1.2 million active accounts, and even only about 850,000 actually paying subscribers speak or were paid for these 850,000 royalties to the rights holders. If you compare this with the dozens of millions of competitors like Spotify or even Apple with Apple Music, even the official numbers of TIDAL seem downright ridiculous. Especially when you consider what marketing machinery around TIDAL has always been used ...

Officially, all these messages are dismissed as simply untrue rumors and vigorously denied. It is accustomed that since the start of TIDAL a negative campaign against the offer will be conducted. In fact, it is more the case that one has sufficient capital to ensure the operational business without problems for the next 12 to 18 months and that one can point to constant growth year by year.

Whatever the case, the fact is that business around streaming offers is anything but easy and that currently there is a massive cutthroat competition that on the one hand is not always played with clean means, to put it cautiously, and also on much hope on future sparkling coffers for investors founded, which at some point not only content with this hope, but also demand. It is also a fact that some of the rumored figures do not quite correspond to reality, especially when it comes to the really crucial paying customers. In addition, it should be noted that with many providers, even with the officially stated figures, it is difficult to ensure a long-term survival on closer realistic consideration ... (source mh)
Aavik U-280 / Audio Physic Cardeas / Melco N1ZS + D100 / Melco Switch S100 / KECES P8 Dual / Transparent Audio PowerWave X / Cable: Audioquest, Shunyata, Transparent, Ansuz Digitalz A2 Ethernet, USB
Remote: iPad-Pro
Roon Nucleus+(B), Lifetime / Qobuz Studio Sublime                                                                                                          
Germany / Bavaria
I do worry that lossless streaming is something that will disappear to be honest, as there is a total lack of interest in it. The people who seem to care about this are few and far between so maybe no service will make money. I love it and I am a convert but sometimes think its too good to be true. I think £20 per month for Tidal or Qobuz or whoever you use is quite simply amazing value for money. I would pay a lot more to be honest
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
(24-Feb-2018, 08:13)Womaz Wrote: I do worry that lossless streaming is something that will disappear to be honest, as there is a total lack of interest in it. The people who seem to care about this are few and far between so maybe no service will make money. I love it and I am a convert but sometimes think its too good to be true. I think £20 per month for Tidal or Qobuz or whoever you use is quite simply amazing value for money. I would pay a lot more to be honest

Hello Womaz, I agree with you! Everyone just wants the best, but only a few want to do just that. Unlimited good music for 19 €, what more could you want! This is a good CD in comparison, or 66 cent per day Shy
Aavik U-280 / Audio Physic Cardeas / Melco N1ZS + D100 / Melco Switch S100 / KECES P8 Dual / Transparent Audio PowerWave X / Cable: Audioquest, Shunyata, Transparent, Ansuz Digitalz A2 Ethernet, USB
Remote: iPad-Pro
Roon Nucleus+(B), Lifetime / Qobuz Studio Sublime                                                                                                          
Germany / Bavaria
Someone will buy TIDAL ... IF it does really have issues. IT IS the future of music listening. Maybe Google/Chromecast will do so and add it to the Android app like Apple Music to iOS.
Audionet DNA / roon / ProAc SM100s
(02-Mar-2018, 11:05)cereal killer Wrote: Someone will buy TIDAL ... IF it does really have issues.

Not necesarily. Corpse of dead Tidal could be eaten by well prospering hyenas. No need to spend money on it. Is there anything valuable in Tidal that cannot be obtained cheaper from elsewhere?
Fanless HdPlex (HQPlayer) -> Merging Hapi -> Genelec 8351B