Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Devialet, Roon and Tidal
(18-Feb-2018, 21:59)Gerronwithit Wrote: You will need a Roon server of some form which will probably have to be on a PC or MAC of some description. Mine is on a MacBook Air. You can run it on Roon Remote using an iPhone or an iPad as long as it is 64 bit architecture. The PC or Mac has to be accessible i.e. In my case the MacBoik has to be open and accessible , which it is using WiFi.

Yes I have a windows 10 Pc so this would mean I would need Roon and tidal installed on it ?
I may try tidal and air first to see if that’s stable, but not sure what app I could use on my iPad to control the music
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
So lets say I decide to give AIR and Tidal a go first.
I would need to download Air software to my PC.
Would I need Tidal on my Pc too as at present it is not, it is controlled by the Linn Kazoo app.
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
You can run the Tidal player on a Windows PC or an iOS phone/pad; either would allow you to select and control what's playing. The downloads are here: http://tidal.com/gb/download. You'll also need to download and install the Devialet AIR virtual sound card driver on your PC.

Alternatively, if you'd like to try Roon, you would not need the Tidal software or Devialet AIR. As well as installing Roon on your PC, you could install the Roon Remote on your iOS phone/pad which would then allow you to control what Roon plays without needing to interact directly with your PC. (As Gerronwithit noted above.)

In either case your PC would need to be running and on your network to play music.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
(18-Feb-2018, 23:51)thumb5 Wrote: You can run the Tidal player on a Windows PC or an iOS phone/pad; either would allow you to select and control what's playing.  The downloads are here: http://tidal.com/gb/download.  You'll also need to download and install the Devialet AIR virtual sound card driver on your PC.

Alternatively, if you'd like to try Roon, you would not need the Tidal software or Devialet AIR.  As well as installing Roon on your PC, you could install the Roon Remote on your iOS phone/pad which would then allow you to control what Roon plays without needing to interact directly with your PC.  (As Gerronwithit noted above.)

In either case your PC would need to be running and on your network to play music.

Thank you . So just to clarify I can control tidal by the iPad if I get the tidal app on it. The only thing I need to install on my PC is the Devialet Air driver.?

This will also help me to ascertain where my current issue lies. As if this streams perfect then the MELCO is the issue

This way i guess when not using tidal i can just continue to do as I am doing now with the kazoo app controlling music playback
Oh I do love involving my PC in the chain -)
I have tried to install Air v 3.04 and I get this error

The Air virtual soundcard driver could not be loaded.
Please restart your PC

I have done this three times now with same result
If you want something to store your music and if you want to eliminate a computer in your chain, you can use an INNUOS Server. You can run the INNUOS with ROON Core or as a ROON player. There a only some limitations with DSD.

My INNUOS is running perfect with ROON Core and sounds great (via USB).

But to be honest, for the moment I think I will not go with ROON run lifetime, because the TIDAL limitation regarding the price is a no go. I tried Spotify Connect and it´s sounds really good. I don´t believe anyone could here a big difference. And Spotify Connect is really comfortable and fast.

For the local music you can use iPeng or a good UPnP app (like AK Connect 2.0 f.e).
Formerly Devialet 220PRO CI, Magico A3, 2 Gold Phantoms, Dialog/Raspberry PI2 Digi+, ROON Rock NUC8i3, Bluesound Powernode 2i, B&W 607, Audirvana
(19-Feb-2018, 00:39)midi Wrote: If you want something to store your music and if you want to eliminate a computer in your chain, you can use an INNUOS Server. You can run the INNUOS with ROON Core or as a ROON player. There a only some limitations with DSD.

My INNUOS is running perfect with ROON Core and sounds great (via USB).

But to be honest, for the moment I think I will not go with ROON run lifetime, because the TIDAL limitation regarding the price is a no go. I tried Spotify Connect and it´s sounds really good. I don´t believe anyone could here a big difference. And Spotify Connect is really comfortable and fast.

For the local music you can use iPeng or a good UPnP app (like AK Connect 2.0 f.e).

Thank you for the detailed reply. For now I am going to try and find a solution that does not involve another purchase I think.
I should have all the equipment I need this is why I get so frustrated Big Grin
Thank you fir the post though as I have read good things about the Innuos server
As others have said on this forum, half the joy is in the experimentation and the exploration. As you hear differences as you change sources, cables and settings, you will just need to experiment your way to what works for you. Personally, I think you should give Roon core with Air integration a try, and if you have a big FLAC collection it’s easily managed and accessed. I also hope that one day Roon RAAT will be included in the Dev Expert and therefore obviate the need for a PC or Mac. But by when and how this would work is not yet confirmed. In the meantime, enjoy, and tell us about your final setup!
220 Pro CI - B&W 804 D3  - B&W DB3D - Siltech Explorer - Mac Mini (2018/SSD) - AudioQuest Pearl USB & Ethernet - Sennheiser HDV 820 & HD-800S - Roon (Lifetime) - Tidal HiFi
New York, NY
(18-Feb-2018, 19:55)Womaz Wrote: Another thought is how would I control Tidal if I am using Air. IPad control is an absolute must for me.

Womaz, I would suggest just using Roon. You can control both, Roon and Devialet, on your iPad. It works perfectly.
Bluesound Node > Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 > Genelec 8351B & 7360A
Devialet 1000 Pro
Bluesound Node 2i > Genelec 8330
Tampere, Finland
(18-Feb-2018, 19:49)Womaz Wrote: One question if I am going near 100% music streaming service what does Roon really give me? Is it really necessary with Tidal?

If I understand you correctly, you only need an AK Connect 2.0 app with Tidal.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Technics SL-1200G | Ortofon Cadenza Bronze | Audio Technica AT-ART9 | Hana ML
Nucleus+ | Melco N1ZS/2EX | D100 | S100 | Telegärtner M12 | Accustic Arts Drive II
Devialet Original d'Atelier | Vivid Audio G3 Giya
Gold Phantom Opéra de Paris
S  I  N  G  A  P  O  R  E