Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My first few days with Roon
For me it's the same as USB is by far ahead to Ethernet/WIFI when it comes to true sound.
AES / EBU might be better together with a Mutec. Unfortunately I couldn't test it yet.

The problem with USB sounding better or not compared to ethernet/WIFI is the PC/Laptop and the USB-cable. Both have to be dedicated to audio. The USB connection is so sensitive and transparent that it would sound horrible digital when you just plug your printer USB-cable between your MacBook and your Devialet.

One example I listened to with a friend last week. I was tuning his system while we were streaming from Foobar/dedicated soundcard to his amp. Unfortunately he has to stream from his productive PC and he got 3 instances of Opera browser with several tabs open. I told him to close Opera because there were some sounds in the music I didn't like especially a boomy bass. As soon as he closed all Opera instances the bass went from boomy/unprecise/out of phase to more accurate/dynamic/ more in phase and musical. Try it. Open your browser several times and open 10-20 tabs in them...listen/stop and close the browser/ listen again. Sound will improve in every aspect. And that was 'only' your browser There are dozens of tasks you won't need for streaming that give a bad impact on sound. If you stream over Ethernet these impacts are less prominent as the connection is less sensitive and less transparent.  Don't ask why. It's just my experience.
I can fully understand why some of you prefer Ethernet because USB sounds more digital. But that is technically not due to USB but to a bad source (PC/USB-cable/powerquality)
gui
"Oh, you can buy the other. But then it is a cost intensive learning process"
berlin
(01-Mar-2018, 14:36)Womaz Wrote: Thanks for the replies guys. I guess for me there is no hurry as I like to research thoroughly before making a decision. I will also contact my dealer.
I think it makes sense to replace the Melco with something similar but that can act as Roon core server, if so will look at the Innuos.
The Microrendu I think could work with the Melco , but its another box so not really ideal, but at this time open to all options.

I work for myself from home so I have to admit its nice to control  Roon from the desktop too....lazy but nice.
The Roon Nucleus I will  have to look into.
The shift in what I need is since I got Tidal it has totally changed the way I listen to and think about music. I was always adamant that I want to own certain albums. A year later I see no need to. Tidal has been a revelation for me.

Actually, I was thinking of the mR as an alternative to the Melco, not something to use with the Melco.  The idea behind the mR is that you can use a standard computer, feed the mR via Ethernet, and the mR provides a 'clean' USB feed that is providing a high degree of isolation from the noisy PC with an audio optimised USB output.

A typical set-up is PC Ethernet to switch, switch Ethernet to mR, mR USB to Devialet.  This provides a simple and robust set-up, you can run Ethernet direct to mR from a PC, but this requires a special configuration.  The mR is designed to run from a switch, and it is easy to use and set-up if run from a switch.

If you use the Melco to a mR, I do not think you will get anything in the way of sound quality improvement over the Melco, and you will still have the usability restrictions of the Melco, so no Roon for example.

With a PC + mR, you get decent sound quality via USB and all the functionality you could want from a PC.  You can control via your tablet, or via the PC if you prefer, great functionality.  A PC will run Roon, Tidal, or anything else you might fancy in the future.

Also, Thumb's suggestion of a Roon Nucleus is a very good one, plus you consider options from Innuos and similar.

And if you get on with the PC + mR solution, you could replace the PC with a NUC or similar 'mini computer', even keep the Melco as a NAS.

Or if you are happy with your PC to Dev via USB, you could do nothing and enjoy some tunes. Shy
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
@Confused
Yes I have a lot of things to consider. Ideally now I will take my time with a decision as I am in no hurry, but I do know what I am like when I get the urge to do some changes.
At the moment really I have a temporary solution as I have the lap top working and Roon installed and working a treat. I just dont like the SQ from Ethernet or Wif . I have music on all day when i am working from home but the quality does not matter as its background listening really. Its in the evening when i do my real listening and for this I can just unplug the laptop and connect the USB to the 200 and hey presto I am up and running. Its a TQ Blue USB so a proper Hifi one, if there is such a difference ;-)
I could even leave it like this forever I guess, but I know I wont do that.
When I make the changes I think it will be to get the laptop out of the chain again so I doubt the mR will be considered although I have been reading up on it. Also if i went this route the Melco would be redundant and I would need storage for my music collection ideally.
I thought that the Olympicas were the final piece in my jigsaw as I am not one for changing equipment. For me my hifi is a lot of cash and I always want that feeling that its done now, that I have the ultimate set up. Unfortunately my listening habits have changed and the Melco is just not up to the task to stream Tidal so here I am again.
The Innuos is appealing as the dealer who got me the Olympicas stocks it. This will do everything I need so its tempting as you know I am not brillaint technically so ideally a dealer helping me may be the best way.
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
(01-Mar-2018, 20:29)Womaz Wrote: @Confused
Yes I have a lot of things to consider. Ideally now I will take my time with a decision as I am in no hurry, but I do know what I am like when I get the urge to do some changes.
At the moment really I have a temporary solution as I have the lap top working and Roon installed and working a treat. I just dont like the SQ from Ethernet or Wif . I have music on all day when i am working from home but the quality does not matter as its background listening really. Its in the evening when i do my real listening and for this I can just unplug the laptop and connect the USB to the 200 and hey presto I am up and running. Its a TQ Blue USB so a proper Hifi one, if there is such a difference ;-)
I could even leave it like this forever I guess, but I know I wont do that.
When I make the changes I think it will be to get the laptop out of the chain again so I doubt the mR will be considered although I have been reading up on it. Also if i went this route the Melco would be redundant and I would need storage for my music collection ideally.
I thought that the Olympicas were the final piece in my jigsaw as I am not one for changing equipment. For me my hifi is a lot of cash and I always want that feeling that its done now, that I have the ultimate set up. Unfortunately my listening habits have changed and the Melco is just not up to the task to stream Tidal so here I am again.
The Innuos is appealing as the dealer who got me the Olympicas stocks it. This will do everything I need so its tempting as you know I am not brillaint technically so ideally a dealer helping me may be the best way.

I have used a Mac mini with Roon for one year, streaming with Tidal and itunes . I was never really happy with a PC/Mac in the gain. Then I have tested an INNUOS Zen mini and Zenith. I ripped some CDs, without problems and used iPENG to control the INNUOS and stream with Qobuz and Tidal. Everything worked without problems. Nice, but the iPENG interface is a little bit to much for my taste. So I switched the INNUOS LMS library to a ROON library (this takes a few minutes, no problems - great). After that I solved some library mistakes with ROON - I can see not better way to do this. I have bought the Zenith and for the moment I use the Zenith as a ROON Core, without any problems - great. The only disadvantage is that ROON is limited to TIDAL. So I use Spotify Connect with the 220Pro and my Phantoms. For my taste really good SQ, and the easiest and comfortabliest way to stream.

@Womaz If I understand your expectations right, the INNUOS via USB should be the best/really good choice for you.
Formerly Devialet 220PRO CI, Magico A3, 2 Gold Phantoms, Dialog/Raspberry PI2 Digi+, ROON Rock NUC8i3, Bluesound Powernode 2i, B&W 607, Audirvana
@midi Yes I like the look of this option . I would not need a lot of it’s features I guess. I almost exclusively use Tidal so it would be ideal for me in that respect , but a lot of talk about Tidal being in trouble so it makes sense for me to be patient I guess........it’s not my strong point though :-)
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
One other point, the Innuos range is starting to get a mighty fine reputation for sound quality. For what you are looking for, it looks like it ticks all the boxes to me. (Except for the price, maybe?)
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
From what I have read it’s the SE edition that’s getting the rave reviews , that’s like around 4.5k from what I recall. The model I would consider is the zenith mk2 which is £2300 . I would trade in the Melco too.
Hello Womaz, if memory serves me right you where a little frustrated by computer problems before the Melco?

If you are not 100% settled on Roon you could give a Aurender a try, I still enjoy mine, sounds brilliant and are 100% stable, just press play and sweet music plays, I only use Tidal.

You will have to live with the brown interface but at least it works...

Br Morten
Devialet 200, Graditech Voima 1 Power cable, MIT shotgun S1.3 Speaker cable, Neeper Acoustics Perfect One Speakers
Aurender N100H, MIT Shotgun AC1 Power Cable, Audioquest Forest RJ45, Transparent Premium USB Cable

Denmark
Well for me, my best results have been using Roon, running ROCK on an Intel NUC. Using the AIR protocol. Both the NUC and Devialet are connected via ethernet to my $29 switch. Sounded as good as using a microRendu which is why the microRendu is not here. Better than a Mac Mini modified with Upton Audio power supply and Regen.

So if nothing else, it serves to show the adage, in my system, with my equipment, with my ears.
Roon ROCK on Intel NUC6i5SYH/Ethernet | VPI Avenger | Devialet 440 Pro CI | Vivid Audio Giya G3 | Auralic Aires Mini | Synology 1812+ NAS
SXSW, US
I think it is very much system and room dependent. For me the USB connection brought the music back to life.