Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best cable speakers money can buy?
(27-Feb-2018, 03:06)bernardl Wrote: At the moment I am considering the Chord company Sarum T that appears to be have one of the best price performance ratio (performance up there with the very best at half or 1/3 the price).

Has someone tried them with a Devialet?

Cheers,
Bernard

I had the Chord Sarum for a few years before moving onto to Transparent Ref XL and now Shunyata Sigma.

After a very torturous period of burn in (I would recommend buying second hand if you can) the cables eventually settled but I always had a problem of too much energy in the room. They just gave you more of everything, but the top end could be a bit much. Slightly synthetic 3D effect and quite a bright/shiny/glassy sound. These cables initially impressed in the demos but living with them had its ups and downs.

The Transparent Ref XL was a huge improvement over the Sarums, a lot more refined, quieter and tonally darker sounding in that Transparent kind of way. You could turn the music right up and everything stayed balanced. I also started hearing details in the music that I hadn't noticed before. I was very happy with these.

Obviously with the Shunyata Sigmas I can't be totally objective since I am now the UK distributor. However I consider them another jump over the Transparents, in comparison they don't seem to filter the sound and let everything through however I don't have the issue I had with the Sarums where the room just gets overloaded with high frequency energy. So I would say much better balanced tonally but with all the refinement of the Transparents.

I know Chord has updated the Sarum speaker cable however my understanding is that its basic sound characteristics haven't changed a great deal. I think their ChordMusic cable is much better.

Cheers,

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
Like Guillaume I've got the Transparent Ref XL (MM2 version). They are currently Generation 5 I think. Transparent do the 3D imaging thing probably better than most cables I've heard. The have fabulous bass and liquid mids. They are very detailed at the top but not etched which is why some/a lot of people think they are a bit rolled off at the top - they are not but I can understand that viewpoint. I had Synergistic for many years - Absolute Refs, Apex, then CTS and finally the most recent Atmosphere Level 4. The Apex's are the best of the bunch and well worth the money - great bass, mid and treble (all very even) and excellent soundstaging. The CTSs were the most immediately stunning and detailed cables I've had - incredible slam to the bass as if you had new speakers or amp. However after a while they were just too much at the top end - relentless and unbalanced compared to mid and bass. Again this sort of detail may be for you. The Atmosphere's were fantastic at imaging and liquid in the mid, almost the perfect cable until I realised that the bass slam was missing from fav tracks. Also tried Cardas (Burgundy one?) but felt it was a bit lacklustre.
Lots of good bargains on Synergistics on Audiogon.
Bottom line is that you've got to hear them in your system before opening your wallet.
Devialet 1000 Pro; Magico A5 loudspeakers; Metronome T3a Signature CD Transport; dCS Network Bridge; Kuzma M turntable; Kuzma 4Point14 tonearm; Koetsu Sky Blue; Benzmicro LPS; Audioquest Vodka Ethernet; Transparent Reference Digital RCA-RCA; Transparent Reference XL MM2 speaker cable; Transparent Reference mains cable; PS Audio P5 PowerPlant; Artesania and Finite Elemente equipment racks 
North Somerset, UK     
Thanks for the feedbacks.

Most review I read position the Sarum T as being quite different from the Sarum and very close to the music.

Will try that for now.

Cheers,
Bernard
Room: Gik Acoustics | Vibration: Townshend pods | Power: Shunyata Omega XC + Everest + Sigma NR v2 + Sigma ground cables | Source: Mojo Audio DejaVu EVO linux server running Roon core (Raat) | Ethernet: Sonore Optical module + Melco S10P with dedicated LPS + Shunyata Omega Ethernet x 2| Synchronous: Mutec MC-3 + USB (Paul Hynes SR7T LPS) + Cybershaft OP21A (Shunyata Omega USB, AES/EBU, clock cables) | Dac/Pre/Amplification: Devialet D1000 Pro CI (Chord Sarum T RCA-RCA link) | Speakers: Chord Sarum T cables + Wilson Benesch Act One Evolution P1
Elsdon Wonfor Audio LS-25 speaker cable.

The designer behind TQ cables. They fell out, Colin Wonfor went his own way and has brought these to market as 'the best cables he's ever designed' so in theory are better than anything TQ cables have to offer, regardless.
Audionet DNA / roon / ProAc SM100s
I have used JPS SC3 speaker cables for many years and very little has come close for me. But, not too long ago I tried a pair of the Triode Wire Lab speaker cables and I have to say I was extremely impressed (and available at a very appealing price).
Devialet 440 Pro (two 220s)- Oracle CD transport - Kuzma Stabi S/Stogi S turntable - Von Schweikert VR-35 speakers - JPS SC3 SCs - PI Audio power conditioning -
Triode Wire Labs ICs and PCs - Roon on NUC 8i7beh running ROCK
Durham, NC USA
(01-Mar-2018, 04:28)bernardl Wrote: Thanks for the feedbacks.

Most review I read position the Sarum T as being quite different from the Sarum and very close to the music.

Will try that for now.

Cheers,
Bernard

I would be interested to know your thoughts on the Sarum T's.  I am in search as well and have a set of the T's ordered in to try and if that does not work then try the Siltech 770L's.  Trying to keep the cost down to under $5K cdn.  I like my Cardas Clear's but feel like I can tweak it a bit more, but hope I don't give up too much of the warmth.  I must have read the same reviews as you that the T's do not seem to add the brightness some of the past models have.
Devialet 220 Pro CI, IsoAcoustics Orea Bronze, B&W 804D's, Isoacoustics Gia II,  PS Audio P12,  Synergistic Research Devialet spec power Cord, Siltech 770L speaker cables, Qobuz, Roon Lifetime
                                    GTA, Canada
Very happy about the Sarum T so far.

I would describe the sound as very transparent yet firm and accurate.

My system is clearly better now on well recorded content, I would call it breathtaking in combination with the amazing Wilson Benesch Vector (such incredibly underrated speakers really),but the higher sharpness may be an issue in some poorly recorded albums where it comes accross as a bit harsh sometimes.

Anyway, happy overall since a large majority of the music I listen to is very well recorded.

Cheers,
Bernard
Room: Gik Acoustics | Vibration: Townshend pods | Power: Shunyata Omega XC + Everest + Sigma NR v2 + Sigma ground cables | Source: Mojo Audio DejaVu EVO linux server running Roon core (Raat) | Ethernet: Sonore Optical module + Melco S10P with dedicated LPS + Shunyata Omega Ethernet x 2| Synchronous: Mutec MC-3 + USB (Paul Hynes SR7T LPS) + Cybershaft OP21A (Shunyata Omega USB, AES/EBU, clock cables) | Dac/Pre/Amplification: Devialet D1000 Pro CI (Chord Sarum T RCA-RCA link) | Speakers: Chord Sarum T cables + Wilson Benesch Act One Evolution P1
I think the best cable are the shortest ones. I see that many user stack their dual experts and I am always perplexed why, a longer digital cable has less problems than any speaker cable. Of course persons with a single expert (like me) need to make the compromise to use longer speaker cables.
(13-Mar-2018, 18:08)Music or sound Wrote: I think the best cable are the shortest ones. I see that many user stack their dual experts and I am always perplexed why, a longer digital cable has less problems than any speaker cable. Of course persons with a single expert (like me) need to make the compromise to use longer speaker cables.

It's only in 'perfect' theory that longer digital cables produce less problems. In fact a digital signal is made of analogue voltages and can therefor be influenced the same way as a signal in speaker cables and even worse produce lots of jitter. You won't get dropouts up to a critical length but you would get a more 'digital sound' with longer digital cables (or at least it's more possible).
I would ever stay with a 3-5m LS-cable compared to a 3-4m digital cable combined with a 1m LS-cable. And I bet you won't hear a difference between a 2m and a 5m LS-cable of the SAME brand & model if you compare them (same plugs, same age of use). But chances are good you hear a difference between a 1m and 4m digital cable.

gui
"Oh, you can buy the other. But then it is a cost intensive learning process"
berlin
Wouldn’t it be nice if, at some time in the future, our Devialets could be linked by Ethernet. It would be a cheap and effective way of positioning each amp close to each speaker and use very short runs of speaker cable.
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England