Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Adding another Phantom to my setup... Silver or Gold?
Hi All,

I've been studying on Jamington2004's pictures of his ceiling mount and have decided to get one of those mounts made and hang another Phantom on the ceiling. I already have two Silvers hanging on my walls with gecko's, but for the third one there's no space for a gecko.

I now have come to the question regarding the third Phantom, Silver or Gold... I always thought of getting another Silver, but now I am not sure. I've added a drawn map of my ground floor... I've got the two Silvers hanging on #1 and #2, roughly 16 meters apart. They are both in "mix" mode. Now I want to get another Phantom at spot #3. #1 and #3 will then be in stereo mode, #3 in mix mode. The stereo setup will consist of my current two Silvers (I'll move one from #2 to #3), so what should I hang at spot #2? A Silver or Gold?

Any thoughts?
Thanks in advance?

[Image: cb981054d9be6e5526cc4f9b5c194adc.jpg]

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
I think general sound quality and power wise adding a Gold Phantom won't be a good idea. The Gold Phantom may not pair into the mix because it is different sounding than the Silvers, and it will overpower them.

But as long as you do move a Silver over to the new spot so they can be a stereo pair then a single Gold should provide enough coverage of that larger area in spot #3. The only problem you will encounter is that the Gold Phantom may sound audibly different so it may not mix well. Then again you may not notice that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Devialet Phantom (White)
1 and 3 being Silver Phantoms in stereo configuration a Gold in 2 position in mix mode might be a waste of money. However when you consider to add in the future a 4th Phantom (a 2nd Gold) to your setup you then might want to change the stereo setup to the Golds and use the silvers as room filling speakers. Or Devialet makes a 5.0 or 5.1 system available then you complement your speakers such that left
and right mains are Gold and the rest Silvers makes sound quality wise and economically sense. So, if you think to further expand buy a Gold, else Silver or even Elevate is sufficient in my opinion.