Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Perfect for Phantom owners
Just bought one of my best ever HiFi purchases, a Yamaha WXC 50 pre amp with Streaming capabilities. This little beauty streams seamlessly from my NAS, it has Bluetooth, Airplay, Internet radio, Quobuz, Spotify and Tidal etc. It works wirelessly or wired and here’s the best bit, it has optical in and out!
I run my phono stage into the aux in and it sounds wonderful. The Music cast control app  isn’t particularly fancy but it does the job, I had it all in and working within 5minutes.
I was previously using Roon Rock on an Intel NUC together with a DSPeaker antimode and I prefer the Yamaha. All this for £250! It’s the bargain of the year. I got mine from Amazon with the intention of returning it if I wasn’t impressed but it is not going anywhere. My Golds have never sounded better.
[size=x-small]Phantom Golds, Yamaha WXC 50
Thanks for the recommendation. Will take a look. Does it decode SACD DSD rips?
Current: Phantom Silvers, Oppo 105D (Toslink), Raspberry Pi + Digi+, ROON
Pre-Phantom: PenAudio Rebel2, Nuforce MCH-2C5, Oppo 105D (Analog)
Been using this for over a year since it was launced. Replaced a bluesound node 2. The node did not trigger the autoswitch on the phantoms, this does. Very nice and good looking.
Interesting - does it have tone controls / room correction to replace the Dspeaker then?

Maybe I will buy the dspeaker back off of you! Although I don’t need the A2D part so bit pricey just for the RC bit Smile
(03-Mar-2018, 17:49)Jamington2004 Wrote: Interesting - does it have tone controls / room correction to replace the Dspeaker then?

Maybe I will buy the dspeaker back off of you! Although I don’t need the A2D part so bit pricey just for the RC bit Smile

Yes you can go into advanced editing via a web page but to be honest it sounded great just out of the box, thunderous bass which I decided to tame a bit eventually. Like you I often use night mode for quiet listening and that does the trick. Nice big soundstage, good dynamics I am really happy with it. You can order from Amazon, if you are not impressed, send it back!
[size=x-small]Phantom Golds, Yamaha WXC 50
this looks interesting guys. i was wondering if someone could explain the benefits of this to me, from a sound quality perspective? i primarily use my pair of phantoms with spotify connect and optical inputs from my smart TV and cable box
The WXC50 optical out max is 24/192 which might be better than your smartTV or cable box for Hi Res streams

Interesting review:
https://theaudiophileman.com/wxc-wxa/
That looks fantastic, I'm looking to stream Spotify to room EQ correction wirelessly. So far I've only found hacky ways to do it.

Do you think this setup would work for my needs?
Laptop + Spotify → MusicCast WXC-50 → Dirac DDRC-22D → Phantom
Not sure if this product will be suited to my needs:
- replace the Phantom remote (broke 3 in the last 18 months, falling from my coffee table - 30cm)
- replace Spark for volume control
- Use my speaker with my smart TV (for TV, netflix, PS4)
- Use with spotify

I currently have 2 phantoms and a dialog (dialog connected via optical to smart TV) in my setup. If the WXC 50 would answer my need, what would the setup be?

on top of the sound quality, I'm also looking for the minimum latency possible (as I use my speakers for PS4 and netflix), so not sure if latency would be better/worse than my current setup (optical from dialog to smart TV).

Thanks,
Michael
Michael, 

It can control volume with the volume knob or remote, or with the musiccast app, but if the dialog changes to default volume (35) it wont go loud and you will have to open spark to get volume up.

Latency wil not get better. You can connect your tv to the yamaha optical in but it cant correct latency.