Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roon - the next step?
@Confused cheap but not so cheerful :-)
I am sort of happy to sit on the fence right now. As you know I am not one for experimenting. I will pick something and stick with it.
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
(14-Mar-2018, 19:20)Womaz Wrote:
(14-Mar-2018, 14:05)cereal killer Wrote: whats the point in waiting 3 months - tis a lifetime membership... unless you only plan on living till May? Wink

Well you never know I have been conversing with a Cereal Killer you know Smile

Indeed, breakfast has never been so dangerous  Big Grin
Audionet DNA / roon / ProAc SM100s
(14-Mar-2018, 21:45)Confused Wrote: Hey Womaz, buy this!

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=...2866488282

It’s a bit scabby to be honest, but might be a bargain.  Something to try, and you could re-sell it if you wanted to without losing too much.

Plus a note to Pim, you should check out interest rates in the UK!

Sorry, I forgot Australia was one of the very few countries that didn't have a recession during the GFC  Big Grin
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(15-Mar-2018, 07:47)Womaz Wrote: @Confused cheap but not so cheerful :-)
I am sort of happy to sit on the fence right now. As you know I am not one for experimenting. I will pick something and stick with it.

Yes, I understand.  One thing I would say, if at some time in the future you had a strange desire to try the microRendu / network end point approach, I would be more than happy to lend you mine.  I do understand the desire not to experiment though, when things don't quite work as they should it is incredibly frustrating, no fun at all.  The offer is there if you fancy it one day though.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
@Confused Thanks for the offer, much appreciated. The reason I domt experiment is I dont think it does me any good. I dont think i am good at objective listening to be honest. This is why I know there was a big difference for me with Ethernet V USB, as if it wasnt a huge difference I would not have even noticed.
I have my temporary solution right now with the lap top. The Innuos is favourite right now but I will probably sit the next 6 months out to see what develops. Once again thanks for the offer though.
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Well maybe a good reason for not committing to roon yet was I was seeing how things went.
Tonight major issues with roon and tidal together .
When moving to another track on an album or a playlist it just stopped playing .
Also when starting to play an album it sometimes took around 20 seconds for the music to start playing .
Like I said there are a lot of posts on the Roon forum bout issues with TIDAL. Until tonight I had enjoyed pretty much flawless playback. Only thing I have done differently tonight is a lot of skipping tracks and stuff.
(19-Mar-2018, 22:15)Womaz Wrote: Well maybe a good reason for not committing to roon yet was I was seeing how things went.
When moving to another track on an album or a playlist it just stopped playing .
Also when starting to play an album it sometimes took around 20 seconds for the music to start playing .
Like I said there are a lot of posts on the Roon forum bout issues with TIDAL. Until tonight I had enjoyed pretty much flawless playback. Only thing I have done differently tonight is a lot of skipping tracks and stuff.

I use a Mac mini with 16Gb of memory and have never had a problem with Roon not working properly but there are a few things that have happened that aren't a Roon or Tidal issue. For one my internet router can sometimes need a re-start. This can be interpreted as a Tidal issue bit it isn't. The other is that when Roon is new, it's still working really hard on your library. When it's doing that, it can be a bit too much for your computer and cause drop outs.

What I'm saying is Roon and Tidal are most likely not the issue. The issue is most likely with your computer or internet connection. If you bought a Nucleus, I'm sure Roon would run smooth 100% of the time. The Innous might or might not work perfectly. It has a slower processor, according to Innous for sound quality, so that could be an issue.

Interesting times ahead!
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
@Pim not sure why roon would be working hard on my music library as it’s all done. Been using it for a month now so all the scanning is well and truly done. Unless again I am missing something .
It’s just strange that I’ve had a month of virtually no issues. Then tonight via usb major problems. So bad that I have put the tv on ;-)
(19-Mar-2018, 22:39)Womaz Wrote: @Pim not sure why roon would be working hard on my music library as it’s all done. Been using it for a month now so all the scanning is well and truly done. Unless again I am missing something .
It’s just strange that I’ve had a month of virtually no issues. Then tonight via usb major problems. So bad that I have put the tv on ;-)

You're lucky you're in the UK. The crap we have on TV in Australia puts you to sleep.

So it's not the library, that leaves the internet or the computer. Do you re-start the computer once in a while?
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(19-Mar-2018, 22:34)Pim Wrote:
(19-Mar-2018, 22:15)Womaz Wrote: Well maybe a good reason for not committing to roon yet was I was seeing how things went.

I use a Mac mini with 16Gb of memory and have never had a problem with Roon not working properly but there are a few things that have happened that aren't a Roon or Tidal issue. For one my internet router can sometimes need a re-start. This can be interpreted as a Tidal issue bit it isn't. The other is that when Roon is new, it's still working really hard on your library. When it's doing that, it can be a bit too much for your computer and cause drop outs.

What I'm saying is Roon and Tidal are most likely not the issue. The issue is most likely with your computer or internet connection. If you bought a Nucleus, I'm sure Roon would run smooth 100% of the time. The Innous might or might not work perfectly. It has a slower processor, according to Innous for sound quality, so that could be an issue.

Interesting times ahead!

I have used a Mac mini before my INNUOS, and I have to say the INNUOS is working perfectly with ROON. The INNUOS is easy and fast and ROON opens the library faster than with my Mac mini. I have never had a connection problem with ROON and the INNUOS, but before with the Mac. I have never had sound problems (but I am unsing no DSD files). For me the INNUOS is perfect with ROON.
Formerly Devialet 220PRO CI, Magico A3, 2 Gold Phantoms, Dialog/Raspberry PI2 Digi+, ROON Rock NUC8i3, Bluesound Powernode 2i, B&W 607, Audirvana