Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SAM is out, no more SAM vote
Just got an answer from Dev, that there is no more SAM vote, so I conclude they stop with SAM for the speakers that are not in list of SAM?
Vandersteen 5A, d220 pro CI , Dyrholm Audio x series cables all the way, qnap 451+,Mac mini Audirvana, dedicated circuits. Moscow Russia
(05-Mar-2018, 11:25)Alve Wrote: Just got an answer from Dev, that there is no more SAM vote, so I conclude they stop with SAM for the speakers that are not in list of SAM?

Hi Alve, just trying to put 1 + 1 here... you are hoping for SAM for the Vandersteen 5A? Don't these speakers have active bass drivers?

SAM only works on the lower frequencies (below 150hz) and therefore would be redundant with the Vandersteen 5As, assuming it could even be done which I very much doubt. 

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
The 'vote for SAM' initiative ended over three years ago. Since then, Devialet have been adding SAM profiles for new speakers, doing some SAM profiles at the special request of customers, plus occasional 'SAM Lab' tours of dealers. It's just the 'vote for SAM' thing that has ended, and to be honest, it was not much of a thing in the first place! The voting was all over the place, with some people getting their mates to vote, and Devialet did not seem to follow the voting anyway. Just an ill thought out promotional effort in the early days of SAM
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(05-Mar-2018, 11:41)GuillaumeB Wrote:
(05-Mar-2018, 11:25)Alve Wrote: Just got an answer from Dev, that there is no more SAM vote, so I conclude they stop with SAM for the speakers that are not in list of SAM?

Hi Alve, just trying to put 1 + 1 here... you are hoping for SAM for the Vandersteen 5A? Don't these speakers have active bass drivers?

SAM only works on the lower frequencies (below 150hz) and therefore would be redundant with the Vandersteen 5As, assuming it could even be done which I very much doubt. 

Guillaume

Correct, active bass drivers...  so no sam needed according to your knowledge. good to knowSmile
The thing is bass is missing somehow when I introduce the 100hz high pass of the first order as needed by 5As

Ok, will continue with the break in period and see... so far..  dev and 5a are not born for each other...
Vandersteen 5A, d220 pro CI , Dyrholm Audio x series cables all the way, qnap 451+,Mac mini Audirvana, dedicated circuits. Moscow Russia
SAM no good for me as my speakers are an Australian small manufacturer brand and hence would only be carried out if SAM Lab was sent to Austrlaia. No SAM Lab has been to Perth for years and when asking Devialet if they could bring it when doing the Australian CI Upgrades was told no go to SAM Lab.

Wouldn't have a clue what SAM brings to speakers, but glad it works for some  Smile
1000Pro (Matte Black), Lenehan Audio ML5 Reference's, FoilTek Speaker Cable's, Paradigm Sub1, Entreq Poseidon, Antipodes CX, Roon (Lifetime), Curious Cable USB, Aqvox Switch, Gigawatt PC-3 Evo Se, Mad Scientist Link Cable (RCA/AES), PSC Power Cords

Australia (Perth)
(05-Mar-2018, 16:00)Alve Wrote: The thing is bass is missing somehow when I introduce the 100hz high pass of the first order as needed by 5As

Could you please elaborate this a bit more? I started thinking that no wonder if you are missing some bass if you have configured 100 Hz high pass on Devialet... but maybe I misunderstood something here.
Bluesound Node > Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 > Genelec 8351B & 7360A
Devialet 1000 Pro
Bluesound Node 2i > Genelec 8330
Tampere, Finland
(05-Mar-2018, 16:18)petrik Wrote:
(05-Mar-2018, 16:00)Alve Wrote: The thing is bass is missing somehow when I introduce the 100hz high pass of the first order as needed by 5As

Could you please elaborate this a bit more? I started thinking that no wonder if you are missing some bass if you have configured 100 Hz high pass on Devialet... but maybe I misunderstood something here.

Ok, Vandersteens due to having active bass drivers and the way thier filters build require a high pass at 100hz of first order to be inserted between pre and amp. It is a phisical box that needs to sit between pre and amp. Alternativelly Richard Vandersteen says if high pass is built in an integrated amp then i do not need these boxes and i can use the  5a speakers. Dev allows programmed high pass and therefore i bought it. Without high passs according to richard i will damage the mid drivers  ri
Right I am going to move this thread to the Speakers forum. Please don't be offended Alve but this isn't really Devialet News  Wink

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
(05-Mar-2018, 18:23)Alve Wrote:
(05-Mar-2018, 16:18)petrik Wrote:

Ok, Vandersteens due to having active bass drivers and the way thier filters build require a high pass at 100hz of first order to be inserted between pre and amp. It is a phisical box that needs to sit between pre and amp. Alternativelly Richard Vandersteen says if high pass is built in an integrated amp then i do not need these boxes and i can use the  5a speakers. Dev allows programmed high pass and therefore i bought it. Without high passs according to richard i will damage the mid drivers  ri

Thanks, now I understand this case better. I also read manual of your speakers, since those seems to be really special ones, but I couldn't find anything problematic. Your speakers should work fine with Devialet but I'm no expert in configuring the high pass setting. 

So the speaker's manual is saying that M5-HP is a high pass crossover that rolls off low frequencies so that they are -3 dB at 100 Hz.
http://vandersteen.com//media/files/Manu...manual.pdf

Would anyone know how to configure similar crossover to Devialet? I started reading few threads about the Devialet's crossover and got really confused how to configure it correctly.
https://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?...8#pid67508
Bluesound Node > Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 > Genelec 8351B & 7360A
Devialet 1000 Pro
Bluesound Node 2i > Genelec 8330
Tampere, Finland
If I read it right, it says that if you're not using the M5-HP then the amp must be configured with a high-pass filter, which must be first order with a corner frequency of 100 Hz.  It should be possible to dial that straight into the configurator, like so:

[Image: 9xRh19C.png]

...which I expect is what Alve has already done...?
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK