Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Small system with Devialet 250/Focal Diablo Utopias - worth upgrading to 800?
Apart from being true dual mono and completely removing any stereo cross talk that could happen in a single unit, there is also the 384khz over-sampling that starts happening in dual mono mode. More power might be the least important part of the change unless you have particularly difficult speakers to drive.
(18-Jan-2015, 17:02)Dr Tone Wrote: Apart from being true dual mono and completely removing any stereo cross talk that could happen in a single unit, there is also the 384khz over-sampling that starts happening in dual mono mode.  More power might be the least important part of the change unless you have particularly difficult speakers to drive.

That's interesting that you say that. When I first got my 500 (now 800) the configurator defaulted to 240W and I didn't notice for a few days. Previously I had had a 240 for a few months on an extended home dem. The jump in SQ from 240 to dual mono with 240W per channel was substantial. 

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
(18-Jan-2015, 17:02)Dr Tone Wrote: Apart from being true dual mono and completely removing any stereo cross talk that could happen in a single unit, there is also the 384khz over-sampling that starts happening in dual mono mode.  More power might be the least important part of the change unless you have particularly difficult speakers to drive.

What exactly is this 348khz over sampling?  I have seen this figure mentioned before but only in general terms.  Do you have any further details of how this is implimented or what it actually means?
(18-Jan-2015, 21:44)Confused Wrote:

What exactly is this 348khz over sampling?  I have seen this figure mentioned before but only in general terms.  Do you have any further details of how this is implimented or what it actually means?
I don't know if there is specific literature. My take: each unit has the processing power to do DSP at 384khz if only doing a single channel per unit.

There would be no advantage to over sample and then immediately going back down to 192 for DSPing so I have to assume it stays 384 all the way through in the 400 and 800.

But I've been wrong before...
About that 384 sampl freq, I asked Thierry a few times in the past just when the 400 and 800 were released and I was told to ignore it and see it as a misprint but it is still there!? Would be nice to know and if true, what benefit does it have?

/Mike
Ex D400 Now Aavik U-300/Feickert Woodpecker2-Kuzma 4P-Kondo silver-Benz LPS-Teddy Pardo PSU/Naim Unitiserve-Teddy Pardo PSU/SF Guarneri Homage/Whole system decoupled by Ansuz DTC/Cables from Ansuz, DYI and other commercial/Dedicated mains and spur-Lampizator SILK
(18-Jan-2015, 23:30)Mikeeo Wrote: About that 384 sampl freq, I asked Thierry a few times in the past just when the 400 and 800 were released and I was told to ignore it and see it as a misprint but it is still there!? Would be nice to know and if true, what benefit does it have?

/Mike

Yah, the detailed spec pdf has no mention of it, just the the 400 and 800 overview pages on the site.
(18-Jan-2015, 23:52)Dr Tone Wrote:
(18-Jan-2015, 23:30)Mikeeo Wrote: About that 384 sampl freq, I asked Thierry a few times in the past just when the 400 and 800 were released and I was told to ignore it and see it as a misprint but it is still there!? Would be nice to know and if true, what benefit does it have?

/Mike

Yah, the detailed spec pdf has no mention of it, just the the 400 and 800 overview pages on the site.

I don't care any longer what they say as long as it sounds good at home and the software works. Some new software would be nice, glitch free this time....

/Mike
Ex D400 Now Aavik U-300/Feickert Woodpecker2-Kuzma 4P-Kondo silver-Benz LPS-Teddy Pardo PSU/Naim Unitiserve-Teddy Pardo PSU/SF Guarneri Homage/Whole system decoupled by Ansuz DTC/Cables from Ansuz, DYI and other commercial/Dedicated mains and spur-Lampizator SILK
I got the following response from Devialet via email:

One 200 and one 250 can oversample to 192khz. And a system with two of those units multiply the oversampling by two (192x2= 384khz).

I hope that answers your questions, 

Best regards, 

Océane Turpin
(20-Jan-2015, 14:29)Dr Tone Wrote: I got the following response from Devialet via email:

One 200 and one 250 can oversample to 192khz. And a system with two of those units multiply the oversampling by two (192x2= 384khz).

Best regards, 

Océane Turpin

This is interesting.  I always thought that the dual mono sounded like it had a slightly better DAC performance, sounding “higher definition” or more resolved.  I discussed this once with Devialet’s Thierry at a dealer event.  He said the DAC performance is identical but the dual mono reduces distortion by a factor of 2.  Maybe there is actually a technical reason why I think you get this higher definition sound?  Maybe I am imagining it?  I guess it doesn’t really matter if you’re happy with the end result sound quality wise.
(20-Jan-2015, 19:28)Confused Wrote:
(20-Jan-2015, 14:29)Dr Tone Wrote: I got the following response from Devialet via email:

Best regards, 

Océane Turpin

This is interesting.  I always thought that the dual mono sounded like it had a slightly better DAC performance, sounding “higher definition” or more resolved.  I discussed this once with Devialet’s Thierry at a dealer event.  He said the DAC performance is identical but the dual mono reduces distortion by a factor of 2.  Maybe there is actually a technical reason why I think you get this higher definition sound?  Maybe I am imagining it?  I guess it doesn’t really matter if you’re happy with the end result sound quality wise.

I'm thinking, maybe it was added in a firmware update and thus why it says one thing on the 400/800 website pages and another in the overall feature PDF.