Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Devialet to Mac mini direct
Hello everyone.
Hopefully someone can help me out as I’m still unsure if I should upgrade my Pro now or still wait a while longer Blush
My setup at the moment is a direct connection between my Devialet 440 Pro and a Mac mini, via Ethernet cable and fixed IP addresses on both. No Router in between.
I’m using Audirvana as the playback software, and Air 3.04........ It all works beautifully, no, flawlessly is the better word; I turn on my Amp, the Mac mini wakes from standby and a few seconds later I’m able to play music without any drops, stuttering, white noise, etc. I LOVE ITS SIMPLICITY Heart
Now comes the tricky part. In the near future I’m guessing having the CI board installed with be a major benefit, with the option of Internet Radio, AirPlay and Spotify support and, and, and..........
As I’ve holidays coming up soon and will have time to “Play” with my Devialet’s, I’m considering sending them in now for the upgrade, but am scare that the Devialet’s and Mac mini won’t be able to communicate with each other because of the lack of Fixed IP support, when they arrive back.
USB isn’t an option for me, the distance between the two machines is too great.
Is there anybody with a similar setup too mine who has no issues using fixed IP’s..... or does it work for you without? Is fixed IP’s even still necessary, or can I leave the option with automatically given DHCP addresses turned on?
I’m asking as in the Beta software (DOS 2.2.0 beta12 + Firmware 12.2.6) description it’s written that Fixed Mode support has still to be resolved, and l can’t imagine I’m the only one who’s wondering “Hey, will it or won’t it work!” I’m an avid reader here and unfortunately couldn’t find any answers Sad
If anyone can help me out, a big thanks and thumbs up from me, a lost Aussie living in Germany Shy
Pro 440, B&W 804D, HMS In Concerto Speaker cables, Audioquest Jitterbug & Cinnamon USB, 2018 Mac Mini with 8Gb RAM, Furutech G320 Power cable, Audirvana Studio, 4 x 2TB SSD External Drives
Hello Dougiet,
I have a D120 directly connected to my Mac Mini through ethernet and I have no problem either with Audirvana (fixed IPs). But I know at least 2 people on french forum (they come on the Devialetchat from time to time) with D1000 pro+CI who tried the direct ethernet connection with their Mac Mini unsuccessfully. They asked the Devialet Support team and the answer (one month ago) was that the fixed mode support has still to be resolved...
No news since then.
Tweaked Mac Mini + Audirvana - Bridge ethernet - Metrum Ambre with RopieeXL - Coax - D120 - Mulidine Cadence
Cables : TWL Digital American - Coax cable : l'atelier acoustik - Ethernet : Monoprice cat5 UTP - Speakers : Duelund 16 awg
Thanks Baldoun for your input. I remember seeing here too somewhere that others had similar trouble but I was hoping it was more of an exception, I’m guessing it’s probably not!!
So it’s still not a good time to upgrade.
I’ll wait till the newest Firmware, etc has been released with, hopefully for myself and others in a similar position, a solution that works. Would be horrible to not be able to enjoy our hobby because of a silly bug, and ones own impatience. The golden rule still applies obviously even here....”never change a running system”
Pro 440, B&W 804D, HMS In Concerto Speaker cables, Audioquest Jitterbug & Cinnamon USB, 2018 Mac Mini with 8Gb RAM, Furutech G320 Power cable, Audirvana Studio, 4 x 2TB SSD External Drives
The only technical solution I can foresee - if the CI board really doesn't allow allocation of its own fixed address - is that you HAVE to put a router in between, and tell it to assign the Devialet your preferred (fixed) address when it asks for one via DHCP.
JRiver v25 (Windows) >> 220Pro/CI >> PMC Twenty5.23 + twin KEF KC62 subs. One White Phantom.
Thanks Johnnysix. Seems the latest firmware has been released which solves the immediate problem with fixed ips, but now some people are mentioning have problems with being able to play 24/192 Flac files!!! So.......... I’ll wait it out I think, one little step at a time and finally l will feel confident enough to send my amps to France.
There is still a solution. On the Mac, you can turn on the sharing of the Wifi connection with the Ethernet port. That has the effect of turning on the DHCP on the MAC and it will behave as a DHCP server, therefore allowing the direct connection between the Mac and the Devialet configured to used dynamic IP addresses to work even without a router in between.

Jean-Marie
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France