Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MBL omnidirectional speakers
Anyone tried Devialet + MBL.

The MBL 120 has gotten some favourable reviews, but it appears omnidirectional speakers are not common and always have a number of design challenges. 

Keen to hear listening impressions on any of the MBL's or if there is another recommended omni brand to try, please let me know.

R
220 PRO CI (12.2.6) - B&W 683 S2 - Audioquest Niagara 1000 - Chromecast + iFi SPDIF 
Technics 1210 (AudioMods arm, AT-150MLX, Mike New bearing + platter, crystal mat, Isonoe feet, external DC PSU) Stockholm, Sweden

(22-Mar-2018, 21:41)rchinn Wrote: Anyone tried Devialet + MBL.

The MBL 120 has gotten some favourable reviews, but it appears omnidirectional speakers are not common and always have a number of design challenges. 

Keen to hear listening impressions on any of the MBL's or if there is another recommended omni brand to try, please let me know.

R

I'm definitely not the right person to influence anyone, but I was at a show last weekend and had the opportunity to listen to some MBL, I suppose from the Reference Line. The omnidirectional sound was good but not the best within that price range. Maybe, imho, lacking a little in the bass range.
But impresses, there is no doubt. And the amp wasn´t a Dev. Like i said, i can´t help a lot.
I don't have MBLs, but the German Physiks/Dev 220 is a smashing combo. And SAM-ed.
SYSTEM 1:Grimm MU-1 running Roon Server & Ready//Grimm TPM//GRIMM LS1be
SYSTEM 2: Antipodes DX Roon Server// MiniDSP// Grimm TPM// Dutch & Dutch 8C

(23-Mar-2018, 03:07)AaronG Wrote: I don't have MBLs, but the German Physiks/Dev 220 is a smashing combo. And SAM-ed.

I recall listening to German Physics speakers at the National Audio show in the UK (2016).  It was one of the more memorable systems of the day, all I can say to anyone who values sound staging as quality of your system, it would be well worth getting a demo, the German Physics speakers are exceptional.

The link below has some details:

http://hifipig.com/national-audio-show-w...rt-part-2/
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
I discovered this brand online, about a month ago.

Mur Audio. It's an Omnidirectional Electrostatic Hybrid

https://www.muraudio.com/
Thanks for the recommendations. Particularly German Phsyiks Ultimated mak 2. Seems to be in a similar approach to MBL, with better product design and price.
220 PRO CI (12.2.6) - B&W 683 S2 - Audioquest Niagara 1000 - Chromecast + iFi SPDIF 
Technics 1210 (AudioMods arm, AT-150MLX, Mike New bearing + platter, crystal mat, Isonoe feet, external DC PSU) Stockholm, Sweden

I listened to Muraudio at a show some years ago and liked that there were the first electrostatic speakers with a real wide (360º) sound distribution. The problem I have with especially the larger MBL speakers that the different driver have very obvious different acoustical centers and it is very obvious when one moves ones ears up and down (standing vs sitting sounds quite different). So a problem with vertical but not at all horizontal (2d vs omnidirectional-3d).
The smaller models and German Physics have much less of that problem.
(22-Mar-2018, 21:41)rchinn Wrote: Anyone tried Devialet + MBL.

R

If you are after Omni speaker, MBL is the best, no need to argue. But it might not your taste, you need to listen to it yourself.

I have an MBL 111F, it’s a very unique sounding speaker.

Anyway It’s MBL, one of the best speaker brand. Sound quality has no problem, but sound characters might not fit your taste. Their 101 eXtreme was rated as the best speaker in the world, Not one of the best, it is THE Best!
(24-Mar-2018, 07:27)PeppaPig Wrote: If you are after Omni speaker, MBL is the best, no need to argue. But it might not your taste, you need to listen to it yourself.

I have an MBL 111F, it’s a very unique sounding speaker.

Anyway It’s MBL, one of the best speaker brand. Sound quality has no problem,  but sound characters might not fit your taste. Their 101 eXtreme was rated as the best speaker in the world, Not one of the best, it is THE Best!

The German Physiks tip is perfect for what I'm looking for. My budget doesn't quite stretch to MBL, and while the German Physiks Unlimited Mk2 might not be as good sound wise, it's a better fit for my design preference and budget.

Would love to find a pair second hand, but I notice neither MBL or German Physiks seem to pop up on the used market much.

If you don’t have enough budget better to wait and get something you really like, otherwise you end up selling it later which lost significant amount of money.

MBL makes the best speaker in the world, to me they are THE best. Not many people are selling them, because they really can’t buy anything better.