Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does Devialet EXPERT PRO support Soft-Clipping?
as subject, does our expert pro range support soft-clipping? or similar technology? anyone knows?
I know when your speakers have a SAM profile, they're protected from the amplifier blowing your speakers up. The bass sort of tapers off when you crank them up. The tweeter though, still gets full power as far as I know.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(27-Mar-2018, 02:16)Pim Wrote: I know when your speakers have a SAM profile, they're protected from the amplifier blowing your speakers up. The bass sort of tapers off when you crank them up. The tweeter though, still gets full power as far as I know.

Soft clipping is not about that, its about when the volume is so loud, the amp is doing something to make the treble part still nice to hear and not harsh.
(27-Mar-2018, 01:38)PeppaPig Wrote: as subject, does our expert pro range support soft-clipping? or similar technology? anyone knows?

Yes, if I remember correctly, the Expert series has an elliptic limiting mechanism that softens out peaks to prevent hard, "square" clipping.  This would be more aimed at protecting tweeters by reducing the high-frequency content when the amp limits.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
(27-Mar-2018, 07:24)thumb5 Wrote:
(27-Mar-2018, 01:38)PeppaPig Wrote: as subject, does our expert pro range support soft-clipping? or similar technology? anyone knows?

Yes, if I remember correctly, the Expert series has an elliptic limiting mechanism that softens out peaks to prevent hard, "square" clipping.  This would be more aimed at protecting tweeters by reducing the high-frequency content when the amp limits.

Absolutely, and  when this is the case, the dB on the amp display turns orange. 
I believe that it also turns orange on the iOS remote app, but I’m not 100% positive on this last part. 

Jean-Marie
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France
(27-Mar-2018, 18:09)Jean-Marie Wrote:
(27-Mar-2018, 07:24)thumb5 Wrote:

I believe that it also turns orange on the iOS remote app, but I’m not 100% positive on this last part. 

Jean-Marie

I noticed that, briefly, the dB display flashed Red when playing music at just background levels. I am currently evaluating a D1000 Pro running into my PMC 20/26s, never noticed this before with my D400.

Not sure if have a problem or not?

Thoughts?
Innuos Statement, D1000 Pro CI, Shunyata Denali, Alpha v2, Delta v2 and Venom NR12 power cords, Sigma v1 speaker cables, Omega USB, PMC IB2se, Townshend Isolation Podiums.

Marantz SR7012, OPPO BDP 105D, PMC OB1s (Rears), PMC Twenty C (Centre).

South East Wales, UK
(28-May-2018, 13:21)Carcrashboy Wrote:
(27-Mar-2018, 18:09)Jean-Marie Wrote:
(27-Mar-2018, 07:24)thumb5 Wrote: Yes, if I remember correctly, the Expert series has an elliptic limiting mechanism that softens out peaks to prevent hard, "square" clipping.  This would be more aimed at protecting tweeters by reducing the high-frequency content when the amp limits.

Jean-Marie

I noticed that, briefly, the dB display flashed Red when playing music at just background levels. I am currently evaluating a D1000 Pro running into my PMC 20/26s, never noticed this before with my D400.

Not sure if have a problem or not?

Thoughts?
I don’t think you have a problem. 

I have seen it also very occasionally on one piece of music that turned out to be really badly recorded with a lot of clipping in the source itself. 

Did you notice which piece of music was causing it and is it reproductible?

Jean-Marie
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France
When my amps went “over voltage”, the display flashed red briefly. Haven’t had this problem for some time though.
Perhaps you could look through your information screens to see if this was the cause.
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England