Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
130 pro + KEF LS50 vs KEF LS50 Wireless
Hi all,

I'm wondering if anyone has heard both a 130/120 with the passive LS50's, and the LS50 wireless version ? I'm especially interested in the results of SAM with the bass, and if it does a better job than the DSP on the LS50 wireless.

Cheers!
I've had the LS50's before and ran a D200 through them. I was bored after a week and sold them.

I bought some LS50 wireless which i'm picking up tomorrow so will let you know my thoughts.

Its worth reading the Stevehuff review of the wireless if you want to get a gauge for the diff between passive and wireless.
Very interesting. Thanks for that. Keen to hear your comments on the Wireless version!
I'm wondering on the use of wireless speakers with a high end amplifier as a Devialet since actual amplification and is performed by the speaker itself. Isn't a wired version not always making more sense ?
Devialet 220 Expert Pro CI | Sonus Faber Olympica II | Crystal cable speaker cables, interlink and power cables | ROON Rock on Intel NUC | Netherlands
(27-Mar-2018, 21:44)iamwappie Wrote: I'm wondering on the use of wireless speakers with a high end amplifier as a Devialet since actual amplification and is performed by the speaker itself. Isn't a wired version not always making more sense ?

I thought the question was about how results with the wired speaker and a Devialet with SAM compared to the results with the wireless speaker and its internal DSP (no Devialet).

If you're going to use a Devialet then I think the wired speaker makes more sense but the wireless speaker gives you streaming options that don't rely on an amp like the Devialet.
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia
Funny how we all have different takes on things Smile

There has been much talk about the active LS50 DSP engine providing much better bass in the wireless (active) version compared to the passives. So i assume the OP is asking to compare a devialet powered passive LS50 with SAM, to the self sufficient active version of the LS50's (wireless).

I'm picking my active LS50's up in a couple of hours.
(28-Mar-2018, 05:11)wikeeboy Wrote: Funny how we all have different takes on things Smile

There has been much talk about the active LS50 DSP engine providing much better bass in the wireless (active) version compared to the passives. So i assume the OP is asking to compare a devialet powered passive LS50 with SAM, to the self sufficient active version of the LS50's (wireless).

I'm picking my active LS50's up in a couple of hours.

Sorry if I wasn't too clear guys Smile. Correct, keen to see if the DSP/Bass in the wireless version, can really match the effect SAM has on the bass with a 130 and passives.
I am using a pair if LS50 in my second system and they are driven by a Nuprime USB amp.

They are nice but IMHO not quite able to reveal the potential of a Devialet.

What I am getting from my Wilson Benesch Vector is, not surprisingly, really much superior.

Cheers,
Bernard
Room: Gik Acoustics | Vibration: Townshend pods | Power: Shunyata Omega XC + Everest + Sigma NR v2 + Sigma ground cables | Source: Mojo Audio DejaVu EVO linux server running Roon core (Raat) | Ethernet: Sonore Optical module + Melco S10P with dedicated LPS + Shunyata Omega Ethernet x 2| Synchronous: Mutec MC-3 + USB (Paul Hynes SR7T LPS) + Cybershaft OP21A (Shunyata Omega USB, AES/EBU, clock cables) | Dac/Pre/Amplification: Devialet D1000 Pro CI (Chord Sarum T RCA-RCA link) | Speakers: Chord Sarum T cables + Wilson Benesch Act One Evolution P1
@wikeeboy How did you get along with the LS50w's ? Any initial thoughts ?
I have the white/copper finish. They look lovely! Such a nice and simple solution for a second system. For me its the family living area.

Audio memory is a tough thing. I do remember getting bored of the passive ls50's pretty quickly, and although SAM made a significant difference to the bottom end, i found i was bottoming them out too much which was frustrating.

My initial thoughts are that they are a great all round package. I think you're wasting your time and money if you run the passives with a devialet. Just get the actives and be done with it. If i want a 'serious' system i'll listen to my big rig, for the secondary system the actives make perfect sense.

I need to have some more time over the weekend giving these puppies a decent thump.. Staright out of the gate though, if i had the choice between a dev and passive ls50's, or active ls50's with sub/subs hands down i'd go active with subs.