Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thoughts on B&W 805 D3
Anyone here use the B&W 805 D3 with a Devialet 200?  I am thinking about upgrading from my Atohm GT1s.  Love the look and sound staging of stand mounts, so I'd prefer to stick to this profile.  I listen mainly to pop/jazz music with a sprinkling of classical.  Also, the design and look of a speaker are important to me, and the 805 ticks those boxes.  Finally, I want to employ speaker active matching, another box tick for the 805.

I have also posted the same questions on the Focal Sopra N1...
Devialet Expert 220 Pro Kinki EX-M7 power amp tethered to a fiber-fed Lumin X1 streamer via Grimm XLRs, Vivid B1 Decade speakers in Rosso Barchetta red (only 200 produced in a limited edition), Roon Nucleus with a Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SSD, etherREGEN switch fed by a Sonore opticalModule (and Sonore-supplied transceivers and 1M optical cable) with a SOtM dCBL-Cat7 cable to my Nucleus and a DH Labs Reunion Cat8 to my Lumin T2 streamer, Keces P8 linear power supply feeding a (to come) NUC and EtherREGEN switch with an external AfterDark OCXO clock., and opticalModule (5V/1A), AudioQuest Niagara 1000 power conditioner, ASI LiveLine loom (purchased directly from Franck Tchang when I lived in France), Less Loss Firewall for Speakers and Roon lifetime license with Tidal streaming.
Latest Hi Fi News has a review of them.
I liked the previous incarnation of the 805D with Naim supernait a friend of mine has. Not heard with Devialet though. Their top end is very revealing as I remember, nice and airy, lots if detail but not harsh.
(11-Apr-2018, 16:44)kompressor Wrote: Latest Hi Fi News has a review of them.
Thanks.  It's a solid review but I wouldn't categorize it as over the moon...
Devialet Expert 220 Pro Kinki EX-M7 power amp tethered to a fiber-fed Lumin X1 streamer via Grimm XLRs, Vivid B1 Decade speakers in Rosso Barchetta red (only 200 produced in a limited edition), Roon Nucleus with a Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SSD, etherREGEN switch fed by a Sonore opticalModule (and Sonore-supplied transceivers and 1M optical cable) with a SOtM dCBL-Cat7 cable to my Nucleus and a DH Labs Reunion Cat8 to my Lumin T2 streamer, Keces P8 linear power supply feeding a (to come) NUC and EtherREGEN switch with an external AfterDark OCXO clock., and opticalModule (5V/1A), AudioQuest Niagara 1000 power conditioner, ASI LiveLine loom (purchased directly from Franck Tchang when I lived in France), Less Loss Firewall for Speakers and Roon lifetime license with Tidal streaming.
(11-Apr-2018, 16:47)kompressor Wrote: I liked the previous incarnation of the 805D with Naim supernait a friend of mine has. Not heard with Devialet though. Their top end is very revealing as I remember, nice and airy, lots if detail but not harsh.

Good feedback, thanks.
I have 803 D3s with my 250 Pro which have been together since just before Xmas and no one who has heard the combination has complained. They are also used as front speakers for my 5.1 AV system. All so good that neither my wife or grandchildren let me near them if they are about. In fact as I write this I am listening to music through my Naim Muso as the wife has commandeered the D3s to watch some zombie rubbish on Sky or Netflix.  Wink
Devialet 1000 Pro CI, Chord Signature Reference speaker cables, B&W 803 D3 speakers

Roon lifetime licence, Tidal.
(11-Apr-2018, 17:56)Gerronwithit Wrote: I have 803 D3s with my 250 Pro which have been together since just before Xmas and no one who has heard the combination has complained. They are also used as front speakers for my 5.1 AV system. All so good that neither my wife or grandchildren let me near them if they are about. In fact as I write this I am listening to music through my Naim Muso as the wife has commandeered the D3s to watch some zombie rubbish on Sky or Netflix.  Wink

Thanks for the feedback.  I am not familiar with the B&W sound, so hearing about various speakers can be quite helpful.  I am living in a condo in Charleston, S.C. but contemplating a move to a home in Santa Fe, N.M.  For the moment, I am concentrating on stand mounts but my new living space could accommodate floor stands.  Cheers, Michael a.k.a. Flashman
(11-Apr-2018, 16:37)Flashman Wrote: Anyone here use the B&W 805 D3 with a Devialet 200?  I am thinking about upgrading from my Atohm GT1s.  Love the look and sound staging of stand mounts, so I'd prefer to stick to this profile.  I listen mainly to pop/jazz music with a sprinkling of classical.  Also, the design and look of a speaker are important to me, and the 805 ticks those boxes.  Finally, I want to employ speaker active matching, another box tick for the 805.

Michael

I have the 803D3 for over a year in my setup, i find them to be detailed, clean mids and no lister fatigue.
When I was shopping for speakers, one of the speakers I looked at was the Focal Sopra 2
I found the Sopra highs bright and fatiguing after a 20 min session.

Hope you can find a dealer and do a home demo, the B&W 805D3 are a nice speaker, but i'm biased  Big Grin 

Brian
Vinnie Rossi L2iSE integrated amp, VPI Classic TurnTable c/w Transfiguration Phoenix Cart, 
Auralic Aries G2, Audience Front Row USB cable, B&W 803D3 (black) Audience Front Row Bi wire speaker cables, 
6 x OREA Bronze Footers.
                                                                 Ottawa, Canada.                                                                                      

I have 803 D3s with my 250 Pro which have been together since just before Xmas and no one who has heard the combination has complained. They are also used as front speakers for my 5.1 AV system. All so good that neither my wife or grandchildren let me near them if they are about. In fact as I write this I am listening to music through my Naim Muso as the wife has commandeered the D3s to watch some zombie rubbish on Sky or Netflix.  Wink
Devialet 1000 Pro CI, Chord Signature Reference speaker cables, B&W 803 D3 speakers

Roon lifetime licence, Tidal.
(11-Apr-2018, 22:17)BrianT Wrote:
(11-Apr-2018, 16:37)Flashman Wrote: Anyone here use the B&W 805 D3 with a Devialet 200?  I am thinking about upgrading from my Atohm GT1s.  Love the look and sound staging of stand mounts, so I'd prefer to stick to this profile.  I listen mainly to pop/jazz music with a sprinkling of classical.  Also, the design and look of a speaker are important to me, and the 805 ticks those boxes.  Finally, I want to employ speaker active matching, another box tick for the 805.

Michael

I have the 803D3 for over a year in my setup, i find them to be detailed, clean mids and no lister fatigue.
When I was shopping for speakers, one of the speakers I looked at was the Focal Sopra 2
I found the Sopra highs bright and fatiguing after a 20 min session.

Hope you can find a dealer and do a home demo, the B&W 805D3 are a nice speaker, but i'm biased  Big Grin 

Brian
Thanks for your feedback, Brian.  This is helpful feedback, as I have never heard the B&W sound.  There is a dealer near by in Charleston, S.C., so I will indeed take a listen, albeit without the Devialet.  I wonder whether the dealer might let me listen to them at home?   Also, I appreciate the information about your take on the Focal Sopra 2.