Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thoughts on B&W 805 D3
I know this thread is for the B&W 805 D3, but as you are looking for stand mounts might I suggest having a listen to the Sonus Faber Olympica 1. I have had the Olympica 1 for about 2 years now and have nothing but praise for them. The speakers are designed and manufactured in Italy, they look marvellous just what you would expect from Italian craftsmanship. Thankfully its not style over substance, the speakers sound amazing. The only thing they lack in is bass, so not recommended if you are mainly going to listen to Rock.
(12-Apr-2018, 02:29)Rama Wrote: I know this thread is for the B&W 805 D3, but as you are looking for stand mounts might I suggest having a listen to the Sonus Faber Olympica 1. I have had the Olympica 1 for about 2 years now and have nothing but praise for them. The speakers are designed and manufactured in Italy, they look marvellous just what you would expect from Italian craftsmanship. Thankfully its not style over substance, the speakers sound amazing. The only thing they lack in is bass, so not recommended if you are mainly going to listen to Rock.

Rama, ironically I was just looking at a pair of SF Olympica 1 speakers and matching stands on eBay for 4500USD. Seems like a good price and the seller is within driving distance. I’m still doing my research, however, so I’m reluctant to pull the trigger. Thanks much, though, for your feedback!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Devialet Expert 220 Pro Kinki EX-M7 power amp tethered to a fiber-fed Lumin X1 streamer via Grimm XLRs, Vivid B1 Decade speakers in Rosso Barchetta red (only 200 produced in a limited edition), Roon Nucleus with a Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SSD, etherREGEN switch fed by a Sonore opticalModule (and Sonore-supplied transceivers and 1M optical cable) with a SOtM dCBL-Cat7 cable to my Nucleus and a DH Labs Reunion Cat8 to my Lumin T2 streamer, Keces P8 linear power supply feeding a (to come) NUC and EtherREGEN switch with an external AfterDark OCXO clock., and opticalModule (5V/1A), AudioQuest Niagara 1000 power conditioner, ASI LiveLine loom (purchased directly from Franck Tchang when I lived in France), Less Loss Firewall for Speakers and Roon lifetime license with Tidal streaming.
(12-Apr-2018, 02:41)Flashman Wrote:
(12-Apr-2018, 02:29)Rama Wrote: I know this thread is for the B&W 805 D3, but as you are looking for stand mounts might I suggest having a listen to the Sonus Faber Olympica 1. I have had the Olympica 1 for about 2 years now and have nothing but praise for them. The speakers are designed and manufactured in Italy, they look marvellous just what you would expect from Italian craftsmanship. Thankfully its not style over substance, the speakers sound amazing. The only thing they lack in is bass, so not recommended if you are mainly going to listen to Rock.

Rama, ironically I was just looking at a pair of SF Olympica 1 speakers and matching stands on eBay for 4500USD. Seems like a good price and the seller is within driving distance. I’m still doing my research, however, so I’m reluctant to pull the trigger. Thanks much, though, for your feedback!

Just throwing my thoughts in as there was a post about the Focal Sopra No.2 sounding bright and harsh after 20 mins. I am using them with a Devialet 440 Pro and they are truly a match made in heaven. I heard the Sopra No.2’s with a Naim 250 DR and NAC-N 272 and the top end was far too harsh for me. Amplifier/loudspeaker matching is crucial and the various combinations must be heard. The B&W diamond tweeter is most certainly a fine piece of work and I had a hard choice to make between a pair of B&W’s and the Focal’s.

(12-Apr-2018, 15:42)Soundman Wrote:
(12-Apr-2018, 02:41)Flashman Wrote:

Rama, ironically I was just looking at a pair of SF Olympica 1 speakers and matching stands on eBay for 4500USD.  Seems like a good price and the seller is within driving distance.  I’m still doing my research, however, so I’m reluctant to pull the trigger.  Thanks much, though, for your feedback!

Just throwing my thoughts in as there was a post about the Focal Sopra No.2 sounding bright and harsh after 20 mins. I am using them with a Devialet 440 Pro and they are truly a match made in heaven. I heard the Sopra No.2’s with a Naim 250 DR and NAC-N 272 and the top end was far too harsh for me. Amplifier/loudspeaker matching is crucial and the various combinations must be heard. The B&W diamond tweeter is most certainly a fine piece of work and I had a hard choice to make between a pair of B&W’s and the Focal’s.

Good feedback, thanks!
Devialet Expert 220 Pro Kinki EX-M7 power amp tethered to a fiber-fed Lumin X1 streamer via Grimm XLRs, Vivid B1 Decade speakers in Rosso Barchetta red (only 200 produced in a limited edition), Roon Nucleus with a Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SSD, etherREGEN switch fed by a Sonore opticalModule (and Sonore-supplied transceivers and 1M optical cable) with a SOtM dCBL-Cat7 cable to my Nucleus and a DH Labs Reunion Cat8 to my Lumin T2 streamer, Keces P8 linear power supply feeding a (to come) NUC and EtherREGEN switch with an external AfterDark OCXO clock., and opticalModule (5V/1A), AudioQuest Niagara 1000 power conditioner, ASI LiveLine loom (purchased directly from Franck Tchang when I lived in France), Less Loss Firewall for Speakers and Roon lifetime license with Tidal streaming.
I believe the Dynaudio special 40 is in the same price range and should be part of your list as well.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(13-Apr-2018, 04:47)Pim Wrote: I believe the Dynaudio special 40 is in the same price range and should be part of your list as well.
Thank you, Pim.  I believe one reviewer (Darko?) said the Dynaudio special 40 worked well with Devialet...