Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Disappointed w/ Gold Phantom. Am I doing I wrong?
Agreed with that above post. Two White Phantom would be a great alternative. One Gold in that room could be absolutely overkill in terms of sound dynamics for the size. Best soundstage with two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Devialet Phantom (White)
As mentioned, I suspect the sound of your Sony was very inaccurate and deliberately voiced to make it seem as if it had deep bass to satisfy home cinema. I have a pair of huge speakers that produce bass that goes down as deep as the Phantoms, they do not produce deep bass unless it is on the recording. Live with them for a couple of weeks and perhaps get a friend around and see what they think. If neither of you think there is bass then take them to somebody else's house with a larger floor area and test them. If they are still not producing bass then you have something to discuss with Devialet.
(12-Apr-2018, 22:06)aasch08 Wrote: Great help in here so far! Then you all, you’ve definitely reinvigorated my thoughts on this.

When I first viewed the phantom it was in the plaza of a tower and the bass didn’t just sound unreal, it felt it too.

I wasn’t aware I could play with EQ via the Spotify app directly, that will for sure help.

As far as positioning, I’m going to spend some time this weekend and see what I can manage.

Thanks everyone

With Spotify it won’t keep the EQ setting with “Spotify Connect” - only via airplay, maybe Bluetooth not sure.
I didn't figure out you owned a single Phantom.
Yes, Mono sound sucks. Stereo change the game.
No Doubt your Sony soundbar sounds better with specialized sound stage.
If you friend has Sonos, here's what you can do.

1. Get a sonos setup that includes the Sonos Sub. (i.e. Two Sonoes One and a Sonos Sub)
2. Put it in the same room you are using the Phantoms.
3. Get a iPad or iPhone - and use the Sonos automatic room tuning.

That will give you a sense of whether Phantoms is somehow deficient in bass in your room.

We did that with some rooms and it was quite revealing - that Phantoms indeed do not have sufficient bass in some rooms due to canceling or something other reasons I can't define.

ps: By the way, while this is a Devialet forum, I must say that a pair of Sonos One and Sub, is quite remarkable once the bass load is taken off the Ones smaller drivers - even not considering the price is 1/6th of a pair of Golds. I used to think they were 'toys' until I tested a setup.
(12-Apr-2018, 19:03)ragwo Wrote: Kind of a stupid question, but have you unchecked the night mode button in Spark?

Sorry, but where is this button? I can't see it...
(21-Apr-2018, 17:11)Mohmm Wrote:
(12-Apr-2018, 19:03)ragwo Wrote: Kind of a stupid question, but have you unchecked the night mode button in Spark?

Sorry, but where is this button? I can't see it...

Bottom right, it's a half-moon when you are in the volume control.
(15-Apr-2018, 15:37)MountainGuy Wrote: ps: By the way, while this is a Devialet forum, I must say that a pair of Sonos One and Sub, is quite remarkable once the bass load is taken off the Ones smaller drivers - even not considering the price is 1/6th of a pair of Golds. I used to think they were 'toys' until I tested a setup.

I had a full Sonos setup before moving to Phantom. Two of the new Play:5’s and two of the Sub’s. They were incredible for quite a while. I considered them more than enough and so accurate. Then I heard a single Phantom and realised how much I was missing out on in the listening experience. Purchased a Phantom on the spot and sold all the Sonos. Never looked back since then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Devialet Phantom (White)
My view is this:

- Soundbar systems targeted at home audio (or systems with a separate subwoofer) have a different quality of bass that can seem very powerful and not be very position dependent, but it is a bit artificial.

- Phantom definitely outdoes these systems, but only when positioned correctly to balance with the room (otherwise you will have bass "hotspots" and "coldspots", just move around and listen). When there is a proper bass explosion or falling note, the bass is richer deeper and more powerful, if not all audio is as "bassy" as the soundbar.
--
Stereo Devialet Silver Phantoms via Dialog.
(12-Apr-2018, 18:30)aasch08 Wrote: I intitially saw the gold phantom in Taipei 101 tower.
Year later I downsized to a small apartment had some extra money and decided to finally get a dream speaker.

Well now I have a gold phantom & tree stand & I am terribly disappointed. The bass from the phantom feels completely lacking to me. Typically I have the volume set to 40-60 pending of music/movie/games I’m watching. I can barely feel/hear any base. The sub woofers are moving and doing their thing, but unless I push the volume up to 80 it’s lacking (imo) and at that volume everything except the bass become unpleasant to listen to. All my music feels hollow, explosions no longer sound explosive, the experience thus far has be disheartening. 

I am in a small apartment, phantom is in the living room/kitchen, it’s about 14ft by 20ft room. Phantom isn’t placed anywhere specific, I’ve been moving it around hoping for some effect. The phantom was supposed to be an upgrade from my Sony soundbar ct80, and again (imo) the bass from that is much better.

I solely listen to rap, R&B, play games, watch movies (action/horror/suspense). I have contacted Devialet thinking something might be wrong, but they confirmed it’s working as it should.

Has my life growing up/being around listening to heavy bass everything permanently ruined my interpretation of sound? Or is there something I can do to improve this. Am I just doing the gold phantom wrong? Or maybe this type of speaker isn’t meant for someone like me. I’d be willing to try any suggestions.

Thanks

Phantom was never meant to be a speaker with great sound. You could do so much better with a proper 2.1 set up but the cost will be slightly higher than a single phantom. I recommend that you try the meridan M6 at approx 8k AUD it's roughly the cost of 2 phantom and the bass will destroy phantom golds. 

Only reason I brought phantom gold cause I love the look more than the sound. But hearing is a perspective thing. Others stand by the phantom for sound, so to each their own.