Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Disappointed w/ Gold Phantom. Am I doing I wrong?
(05-May-2018, 05:27)YZftw Wrote:
(12-Apr-2018, 18:30)aasch08 Wrote: I intitially saw the gold phantom in Taipei 101 tower.
Year later I downsized to a small apartment had some extra money and decided to finally get a dream speaker.

Well now I have a gold phantom & tree stand & I am terribly disappointed. The bass from the phantom feels completely lacking to me. Typically I have the volume set to 40-60 pending of music/movie/games I’m watching. I can barely feel/hear any base. The sub woofers are moving and doing their thing, but unless I push the volume up to 80 it’s lacking (imo) and at that volume everything except the bass become unpleasant to listen to. All my music feels hollow, explosions no longer sound explosive, the experience thus far has be disheartening. 

I am in a small apartment, phantom is in the living room/kitchen, it’s about 14ft by 20ft room. Phantom isn’t placed anywhere specific, I’ve been moving it around hoping for some effect. The phantom was supposed to be an upgrade from my Sony soundbar ct80, and again (imo) the bass from that is much better.

I solely listen to rap, R&B, play games, watch movies (action/horror/suspense). I have contacted Devialet thinking something might be wrong, but they confirmed it’s working as it should.

Has my life growing up/being around listening to heavy bass everything permanently ruined my interpretation of sound? Or is there something I can do to improve this. Am I just doing the gold phantom wrong? Or maybe this type of speaker isn’t meant for someone like me. I’d be willing to try any suggestions.

Thanks

Phantom was never meant to be a speaker with great sound. You could do so much better with a proper 2.1 set up but the cost will be slightly higher than a single phantom. I recommend that you try the meridan M6 at approx 8k AUD it's roughly the cost of 2 phantom and the bass will destroy phantom golds. 

Only reason I brought phantom gold cause I love the look more than the sound. But hearing is a perspective thing. Others stand by the phantom for sound, so to each their own.

I fundamentally disagree with that statement. I don’t know what allows you to think that the intent was not to make a great speaker. 

I agree that a single speaker is only providing a small part of the experience, but a pair is a complete different story. 

Actually, I don’t know many systems that can rival with a pair of golds or silvers properly setup. And those which can are 10 to 100 times more expensive. 

Part of the problem, as it has been said in this thread already, is that most people are not used to true controlled basses but bloated ones. 

One interesting annecdote, although not related to phantoms, is that the first time I activated SAM, I thought that something was wrong because on certain tunes I had less bass than before. 
So I did some tests and they eventually showed me that the extra bass that I had lost was not really bass that was on the record, but bloat from the driver resonnance that was then tamed by SAM. 

This to say that a real transparent system can be disconcerting if what you are used to is a less straight one. 

Jean-Marie
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France
(05-May-2018, 05:27)YZftw Wrote:
(12-Apr-2018, 18:30)aasch08 Wrote: I intitially saw the gold phantom in Taipei 101 tower.
Year later I downsized to a small apartment had some extra money and decided to finally get a dream speaker.

Well now I have a gold phantom & tree stand & I am terribly disappointed. The bass from the phantom feels completely lacking to me. Typically I have the volume set to 40-60 pending of music/movie/games I’m watching. I can barely feel/hear any base. The sub woofers are moving and doing their thing, but unless I push the volume up to 80 it’s lacking (imo) and at that volume everything except the bass become unpleasant to listen to. All my music feels hollow, explosions no longer sound explosive, the experience thus far has be disheartening. 

I am in a small apartment, phantom is in the living room/kitchen, it’s about 14ft by 20ft room. Phantom isn’t placed anywhere specific, I’ve been moving it around hoping for some effect. The phantom was supposed to be an upgrade from my Sony soundbar ct80, and again (imo) the bass from that is much better.

I solely listen to rap, R&B, play games, watch movies (action/horror/suspense). I have contacted Devialet thinking something might be wrong, but they confirmed it’s working as it should.

Has my life growing up/being around listening to heavy bass everything permanently ruined my interpretation of sound? Or is there something I can do to improve this. Am I just doing the gold phantom wrong? Or maybe this type of speaker isn’t meant for someone like me. I’d be willing to try any suggestions.

Thanks

Phantom was never meant to be a speaker with great sound. You could do so much better with a proper 2.1 set up but the cost will be slightly higher than a single phantom. I recommend that you try the meridan M6 at approx 8k AUD it's roughly the cost of 2 phantom and the bass will destroy phantom golds. 

Only reason I brought phantom gold cause I love the look more than the sound. But hearing is a perspective thing. Others stand by the phantom for sound, so to each their own.

Yeah I completely disagree. Why would they bother trying something different if it wasn’t going to be great? Devialet could have just follow a traditional design like everyone else and been an average contender in the market space. Instead they invested and did more sound research than I know of another company doing. They have a speaker that is at the edges of what is possible. It’s more than great. I don’t know of a single contender. Would be a stupid company to invest more than $100 million in a single product if it were going to be shit.

The whole purpose of Phantom is to deliver some of the “best sounds in the world” out of a unit not much bigger than a bowling ball to take away from all the complexities of a traditional setup while offering the same or similar experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Devialet Phantom (White)