Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which AES/EBU cable to use?
I presently use a DIY AES/EBU cable between a Mutec MC-3+USB and my D-250 Pro CI, but I'd like something better. I once had a 70 cm length of the D-110 from Silversonic. I liked it, but sold it together with a Stello U3 some years ago so I can't test it now. Should I go for the D-110 again or is there something even better at a fair price?
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
This thread may end up endless  Shy  It is certainly an interesting topic as many of us connect our digital front end to the Devialet by AES/EBU. In my case, it's also a Mutec re-clocker but for many years I had my MSB Universal Media Transport connected to that port. 

I haven't tried many cables, only Neotech, Oyaide, Acoustic Revive, Kimber KS-2120. Of these four, the second two were clearly better than the first two. The difference between the AR and the Kimber was little. The Kimber was sharper and a touch more detailed but the AR was more involving with its full rich sound. I could easily live with either. I have the AR, the Kimber was borrowed. (I also still own the Oyaide and the Neotech).  

Looking forward to what others tried.

Zoltan
Win10/HQPlayer / Roon - Uptone Audio Etherregen switch / SOtM-SMS-200 ultra with clock input - Mutec REF 10 clock for the switch and the streamer - Denafrips GAIA DCC - Devialet D800 - YG Acoustics Carmel - Dual Elac SUB-2090 
power supplies: Uptone JS-2, SOtM SPS-500
Thanks Zoltan
did you change the SMPS in your MC-3? I've been listening to Roon/AIR the last few days and I like the tonal balance very much. There is less detail and dynamics than with the MC-3 though. I am thinking that an LPS for the MC-3 would darken things just enough to make a difference. This is also why I ask about the AES cable. A better or more neutral cable would hopefully bring a better balance.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
(13-Apr-2018, 22:03)ogs Wrote: Thanks Zoltan
did you change the SMPS in your MC-3? I've been listening to Roon/AIR the last few days and I like the tonal balance very much. There is less detail and dynamics than with the MC-3 though. I am thinking that an LPS for the MC-3 would darken things just enough to make a difference. This is also why I ask about the AES cable. A better or more neutral cable would hopefully bring a better balance.

Yes, I did. To be more accurate, I removed the SMPS from the MC3+USB. I have now a cable connected to the 'DC in' spots and I can use any external power supply I want.
Win10/HQPlayer / Roon - Uptone Audio Etherregen switch / SOtM-SMS-200 ultra with clock input - Mutec REF 10 clock for the switch and the streamer - Denafrips GAIA DCC - Devialet D800 - YG Acoustics Carmel - Dual Elac SUB-2090 
Before I moved to a Phantom setup I extensively used mains and connects from The Missing Link company.
Fantastic quality and I thought they bettered anything else I compared them to.
I still have a metre Binary Star cable which could be yours for £90 delivered if interested?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(19-Apr-2018, 19:06)steve_denney Wrote: Before I moved to a Phantom setup I extensively used mains and connects from The Missing Link company.
Fantastic quality and I thought they bettered anything else I compared them to.
I still have a metre Binary Star cable which could be yours for £90 delivered if interested?

Can you, please name a few brands/models that you compared it to? I haven’t heard of these cables but they look promising on their homepage.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
When I first heard about Missing Link my cable setup was mainly Nordost Red Dawn (interconnects and speaker cable).
I trialled Missing Link cryo ref against these and also borrowed some Chord Signature.
I just found the Missing Link cables suited my music tastes to the point that I kept them and sold the Nordost cables.
My entire system ended up being connected from their interconnects and mains cable rig.
I never compared the Binary Star AES against any other company because when I wanted a cable between my CD player and Chord QBD I just went with the Missing Link cable in the range that suited the rest of my setup.
As you’ve looked at their website you will have noticed that the Binary Star sits in the middle of the digital cable range so there are other options.
Cheers

(20-Apr-2018, 07:42)steve_denney Wrote: When I first heard about Missing Link my cable setup was mainly Nordost Red Dawn (interconnects and speaker cable).
I trialled Missing Link cryo ref against these and also borrowed some Chord Signature.
I just found the Missing Link cables suited my music tastes to the point that I kept them and sold the Nordost cables.
My entire system ended up being connected from their interconnects and mains cable rig.
I never compared the Binary Star AES against any other company because when I wanted a cable between my CD player and Chord QBD I just went with the Missing Link cable in the range that suited the rest of my setup.
As you’ve looked at their website you will have noticed that the Binary Star sits in the middle of the digital cable range so there are other options.
Cheers

Thank you for the reply.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
@steve_denney wrote: I still have a metre Binary Star cable which could be yours for £90 delivered if interested?

thanks Steve, but I've already ordered a metre of D-110 to make my own. The Binary Star seems to be a very good cable so I'll remember it for next time.
Devialetless!
(20-Apr-2018, 09:56)ogs Wrote: @steve_denney wrote: I still have a metre Binary Star cable which could be yours for £90 delivered if interested?

thanks Steve, but I've already ordered a metre of D-110 to make my own. The Binary Star seems to be a very good cable so I'll remember it for next time.

No problem. Hope it works out well for you.