Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"hacking" SAM to do convolution
Hi all,

One of the features I would love in my Expert 120 is the ability for it to run convolution.
I've received a pretty strong indication from Devialet-support that this is not on their agenda.

Given that SAM is a form of convolution (I assume), I'm wondering if anyone has applied their own convolution by manually updating the SAM file from the configurator?

Cheers Smile
There was a member of this community here a few years back who used the wrong SAM profile for his speakers and damaged them. So be careful.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
@whatmore the config files have a CRC value that the amp reads. Changing a file in an editor changes the checksum so the amp will reject the file.

I agree that convolution belongs in the amp. Especially now that there is an embedded Linux computer in there. I am not sure if SAM still runs on the "old" DSP. I would guess it is...

@Pim if you know what you are doing this is not dangerous. Maxime Dumont from Devialet (one of the travelling SAMLab operators) said that using the 'wrong' profile from a similar speaker should not be a problem. I used the Atohm GT1 profile with my Monitor Audios for many years until I got them SAMed last year. Of course using a profile for a 12" woofer with full bass boost on a LS3/5A is not good.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
@whatmore
Hi, SAM is really very complex, I would keep my hands off it. Or you really want new speakers Big Grin
Aavik U-280 / Audio Physic Cardeas / Melco N1ZS + D100 / Melco Switch S100 / KECES P8 Dual / Transparent Audio PowerWave X / Cable: Audioquest, Shunyata, Transparent, Ansuz Digitalz A2 Ethernet, USB
Remote: iPad-Pro
Roon Nucleus+(B), Lifetime / Qobuz Studio Sublime                                                                                                          
Germany / Bavaria
@K4680 new speakers does not necessarily solve the problem if the room is difficult. Proper room correction can fix this (for the 'sweet spot' anyway) and the best place to put convolution is in the amplifier. Then one could even play vinyl through RC.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
(18-Apr-2018, 06:54)whatmore Wrote: I've received a pretty strong indication from Devialet-support that this is not on their agenda.

I think it's very, very disappointing if they don't have this on roadmap. Can you please ask what is their reasoning why they don't want to do a room correction within the Devialet?
Bluesound Node > Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 > Genelec 8351B & 7360A
Devialet 1000 Pro
Bluesound Node 2i > Genelec 8330
Tampere, Finland
(18-Apr-2018, 11:58)ogs Wrote: @K4680  new speakers does not necessarily solve the problem if the room is difficult. Proper room correction can fix this (for the 'sweet spot' anyway) and the best place to put convolution is in the amplifier. Then one could even play vinyl through RC.

Hi, I believe in the problems will not be able to do without an external DSP. In Roon I think there is a DSP (but I'm not sure, there are certainly some users who know better) maybe that's the solution!
Aavik U-280 / Audio Physic Cardeas / Melco N1ZS + D100 / Melco Switch S100 / KECES P8 Dual / Transparent Audio PowerWave X / Cable: Audioquest, Shunyata, Transparent, Ansuz Digitalz A2 Ethernet, USB
Remote: iPad-Pro
Roon Nucleus+(B), Lifetime / Qobuz Studio Sublime                                                                                                          
Germany / Bavaria
Roon has DSP/convolver and a very good one too. I use this with 132k tap Audiolense filters, but there is no 'input device' in Roon so it is not possible to play other sources. Roon's internet radio engine only supports lossy streams (mp3/aac)
A proper convolver in the Expert amplifier, as @whatmore describes, would be perfect.
Devialetless!
(18-Apr-2018, 18:02)ogs Wrote: A proper convolver in the Expert amplifier would be perfect.

Yes, exactly.

Many have waited for this feature for years, but it doesn't even seem to be on their roadmap. What are they thinking Huh 

Maybe they will release their own digital room correction feature at some point in the future? I truly hope that they would release at least some kind of solution to this problem.
Bluesound Node > Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 > Genelec 8351B & 7360A
Devialet 1000 Pro
Bluesound Node 2i > Genelec 8330
Tampere, Finland
(18-Apr-2018, 15:46)K4680 Wrote: Hi, I believe in the problems will not be able to do without an external DSP. In Roon I think there is a DSP (but I'm not sure, there are certainly some users who know better) maybe that's the solution!

Roon does have DSP but not everyone has or wants roon.
Also, having it in the Devialet itself means that you can run DSP on any source (including vinyl)... Roon cannot do this

Very frustrating that the technology seems to be there already but we can't access it