Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"hacking" SAM to do convolution
So that is why... "...they only use PEQ for room correction." I've never had a chance to try DEQX. I was wondering why the room correction part tends to be less talked about in reviews.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
To come back to the initial question: nobody outside of Devialet knows exactly how SAM works in detail and how it is implemented. So 'hacking' it using only some high level idea and a configurator output file seems like a mission impossible to me.

I agree with most that the Devialet amp provides a rather unique place to install a convolver. But aside from our quest for better the best audio experience, please think of it from a business perspective (cost vs. benefit analysis, brand awareness, and so on): there are much more important things to put on a roadmap than this topic. And as such Devialet does...
(20-Apr-2018, 19:56)Stino Wrote: ... there are much more important things to put on a roadmap than this topic. And as such Devialet does...

These days it would be a bonus if they finished anything on their software roadmap.... but agreed, it’s never going to happen by hacking.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

(19-Apr-2018, 14:43)Rodney Gold Wrote: A loop would be ideal and not too difficult to program and would solve most external box DSP issues for TT or analog input as well as streaming input
Never used a deqx but have been present at a setup .. the problem was that they had to call the guy in NZ or wherever he was and he had to do the online correction and some fiddling there...maybe the dealer didnt know what he was doing but it was cumbersome and I never noticed any drastic improvement.

Im not sure how this would affect things but the devialet introduces some latency .. my trinnov reports a 4.5m distance to my speakers using it with ordinary power amps which is correct ..it reports 6m distance to my speakers using my devialets .. trinnov says its no problem but I wonder if it would make other packages misbehave
I have Trinnov , DIRAC and direct going into my amps and changing sources switches between them, all level matched
direct is not an option , DIRAC is very good but the trinnov is miles ahead ...but the price is a bit eyewatering

On the digital loop idea, assuming this never comes from Devialet itself could we use a base model D130 as preamp only and connect all sources to it and then digital output from that to something like a Trinnov D-Mon and then send room corrected digital back into a D440 or D1000? This should work functionally but is the 130 the exact same as a 220 except for the amplifier output power? It would be an expensive solution for sure but on an incremental basis with the sunk cost of an existing Devialet system it could be somewhat cost effective compared to moving over to Datasat, Amethyst, etc. as other alternatives. I have moved homes and my new room really needs room correction compared to old so I am motivated.
D440CI (Audio Prana XLR-RCA); Nordost Frey; Raidho C1.2; Artcoustic Impact-1 SL subs (4); VPI Scout; Oppo BDP-205; Roon Nucleus+; Shunyata Alpha and PC10 cabling; Stillpoint Ultra SS
The trinnov st2 hifi or amethyst is a pre .. it might be cheaper to get a used amethyst or st2 (eu6k / eu3.5k) than a 130 + d mon....
Amethyst is roon ready and is a streamer as well as having a phono input .. use it to feed the 440 and do the room correction
Roon/tidal > Squeezebox touch  > Trinnov St2 or DIRAC (minidsp ddrc-22d) > Dual mono D premiers > Vivid Audio Giya G1 Spirits  ...fully treated  dedicated 6x8m room
(30-Apr-2018, 09:19)Rodney Gold Wrote: The trinnov st2 hifi or amethyst is a pre  .. it might be cheaper to get a used amethyst or st2 (eu6k / eu3.5k) than a 130 + d mon....
Amethyst is roon ready and is a streamer as well as having a phono input .. use it to  feed the 440 and do the room correction

Thanks, I have thought about the Amethyst but have never seen it come up used in the U.S. (do they have universal voltage?). The one issue with the Amethyst (or ST2 Hi Fi) is the number of channels of room correction. I would like to have 6 channels (2 for speakers, 4 for subwoofers) and it looks like the Amethyst can do 4 and the ST2 just 2 if I am reading the specs correctly.
D440CI (Audio Prana XLR-RCA); Nordost Frey; Raidho C1.2; Artcoustic Impact-1 SL subs (4); VPI Scout; Oppo BDP-205; Roon Nucleus+; Shunyata Alpha and PC10 cabling; Stillpoint Ultra SS
We can debate which is the best room correction, but even the room correction in a $300 AVR makes an amazing improvement for many people. I just set up a new AVR for a friend. My low expectations of his system were met until the simple calibration for the room (connect the included microphone and press go). Thereafter it sounds surprisingly good (for the money). At our level room correction needs to be more exacting, but our rooms are typically no better than average. Looking through the Systems pages here it is clear that most Devialet owners don't have dedicated audiophile listening rooms. Therefore even mediocre room correction might be very helpful. Having that option is no more dangerous or detrimental than having the option to use SAM, ICM, RAM, or the other DSP included in a Devialet. So I really hope that Devialet gets around to room correction.
Agree with Rodney here, a Trinnov as preamp is probably just as good as a 130. The ADC seems limited to 96kHz which may or may not be good enough... There is a AES/EBU output that can be used with your D440.
Either the Trinnov or wait for Roon to implement the 'input device' so you can route an external lossless hi res audio stream through Core and apply convolution. Quicker than waiting for Devialet to make a digital loop I am sure... Smile
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB