Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Linn KRYSTAL issues
Hi there, just wanted to throw this out and see if anybody has any suggestions:

I recently updated my Linn LP12 and changed cartridge from an old, retipped, Arkiv to a new Crystal.
To cut a long story short, either the Crystal does not seem to be compatible with my Devialet Expert 200 or there's something else going on. 

I have tried every single possible setting from the configurator, changed inputs, changed loads, factory reset, older firmware, nothing. The sounds is always very wrong: just higher frequencies, no bottom end and no "center fill" - there's no "central" voice on vocal recordings. Very very strange!

I have another record player and I checked the phono input on the Devialet and it seems to be working fine with other MC's (Audiotechnica and Ortofon SPU's), it works fine with MM as well and worked fine with my old low output Arkiv MC. I also tried the Crystal with a separate Phono stage direct to a Devialet line input (Project Tube Box SE) and it's working fine. 

Any ideas?
Devialet Expert 200, Linn Sondek, Technics Sl-1200, MacBook Pro, Roon, Monitor Audio PL200
Is it wired up correctly ?
Audionet DNA / roon / ProAc SM100s
Roberto,
I have a Krystal/LP12 and it should not sound like that into your DV. Given that you have already used a separate phono stage then you know that the cartridge is fine, so there can only be a problem with the configuration file. Until Devialet provide us with a proper working configurator post CI upgrade then it can sometimes be a bit 'hit and miss' getting a working config file.

I suggest starting your configuration from scratch using a 'clean' SD card ( ie wiped and reformatted) - I use 0.25mV and 100 ohms and 0pF as a starting point for the phono - make sure that you select RIAA 1976 - and also set one of the remote buttons for RAM.That way you can make small adjustments to the cartridge settings 'on the fly' to see if that will solve your problem.

Good Luck.
Thank you all for the advice but I had tried card tricks in the weekend, erasing, new card, formatting, logging out of the Devialet website, etc, but at the end it was a simple cartridge wiring problem - as suggested in the second post, thank you very much. 

I had not checked wiring to arm pins as one, it seemed to be working fine on a separate tube phone pre, and second, it was "professionally" installed by a certified Linn dealer! 

Now finally back to listening to music.
Devialet Expert 200, Linn Sondek, Technics Sl-1200, MacBook Pro, Roon, Monitor Audio PL200